Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

Starting engines

After following the two tutorials, I decided to try a flight on my own. I configured the plane as cold and dark and followed the normal procedures in the POH to power it up. I had selected realistic start up for engines, but I could not get them started. I know I have missed a thing or two, but I can't figure it out. With realistic start off, I have no problem getting them to start. 

Before start, I have the main fuel selectors set to on, throttle about 1/4 inch open and mixtures off. I crank the starter, wait 12 seconds and then turn the magnetos to both and the boost pump to low. According to the POH, the engine should now start, and I should the mixture to rich after that. I also tried the primer without that working. To make sure I did not miss any step, I also let the AFE do the before start procedures. (I did notice that my flight engineer leaves the mixture at auto rich and the magnetos set to both. I'm quite sure the mixture should be off until the engine fires up, or...?)

I have not seen anyone else reporting any problem, so I know this is an error on my part. I'm hoping someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

Marius S

Your method might need a little tweaking.  First, throttle position:  I use the rivets and line the front of the levers with the rear edge of the rivets.  A good spot is to set 1000 RPM when engines are warm and note that as a good starting position for throttles.  Second, don't use the clock to time events.  Start the crank, turn on primer, on blade count six turn mags to both on and by count 12 turn on mag boost. As soon as the engine comes alive bring mixture up to auto rich.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I am starting as follows

Before starting.

Engine to be startred

Put mixture to Auto rich

Ingition to Both

Engine selector to engine to be started

Boost pump to low

Prime, Start and then boost

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Lol. I go...

Start.  After 6 blades, prime.  After 12, boost and mags on.   Engine catches, mixture auto rich.  

Works every time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

I am starting as follows

Before starting.

Engine to be startred

Put mixture to Auto rich

Ingition to Both

Engine selector to engine to be started

Boost pump to low

Prime, Start and then boost

I'm not a big fan of turning the mags on before cranking.  You want to have at least three blades before anything catches just to make sure you don't have a hydraulic issue in one of the cylinders.  Also, along with the POH, I think prime shouldn't start until the engine is cranking.  The boost pump on the other hand can be turned on low before cranking.

Dan Downs KCRP

The radial piston engine is of course a 4-stroke engine. To really avoid a hydraulic lock you need at least two compleet turns on the engines meaning six blades. If you check multiple movies clips on starting the R2800's it is mostly counting twelve blades before turning on the mags.

regards Ronald

8 hours ago, RonnieDuck said:

The radial piston engine is of course a 4-stroke engine. To really avoid a hydraulic lock you need at least two compleet turns on the engines meaning six blades. If you check multiple movies clips on starting the R2800's it is mostly counting twelve blades before turning on the mags.

regards Ronald

Interesting but not sure I follow. You only need 2 of the 4 "strokes" or one complete crankshaft rotation to verify the piston is free.  I don't expect it to make a difference if you do this during a compression stroke or not, seems to me that even with a valve open if there is a cylinder full of oil you are not going to pull her through a rotation.  Mags on after six blades, mag boost after 12 is the recommended procedure but after three blades you don't have hydraulic lock concerns.  This comes from the DC6 pilots we had on the team.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 hours ago, downscc said:

Interesting but not sure I follow. You only need 2 of the 4 "strokes" or one complete crankshaft rotation to verify the piston is free.  I don't expect it to make a difference if you do this during a compression stroke or not, seems to me that even with a valve open if there is a cylinder full of oil you are not going to pull her through a rotation.  Mags on after six blades, mag boost after 12 is the recommended procedure but after three blades you don't have hydraulic lock concerns.  This comes from the DC6 pilots we had on the team.

I shall watch the DC-6 start movie again. 

2 hours ago, RonnieDuck said:

The movie might reveal how many blades before it fires but unless the camera is in the cockpit you don't know when what is happening.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

The movie might reveal how many blades before it fires but unless the camera is in the cockpit you don't know when what is happening.

It is in the cockpit!

1 hour ago, RonnieDuck said:

Put a link to that movie your watching please.

I managed to get Engine 3 going - but engine 4 catches and does not stay lit - not sure what I have done!!

34 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

I managed to get Engine 3 going - but engine 4 catches and does not stay lit - not sure what I have done!!

Feul selectors open, pump switch on LOW. start selector on #4, start by blade 3 a click on the prime. Blade 6 another click on the prime. nr 9 boost and prime, 12 magneto on. when engine catches, mixture from cut-off to auto rich. Works every time for me!