GSalden

ENVTEX and ASCA

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

It does not and I doubt that it ever will.

This is the primary reason why many have switched to ENVTEX.

I find that some ASCA clouds & sky textures are very nice. Most are not.

I also wish ASCA modes would work with REX 4. This would be wonderful until Skyforce is released.

Dynamic mode : different cloud textures ( up to 8 ) are being loaded along the flight according to the weather conditions 

Global mode : 1 cloud textureset is being loaded at the beginning of the flight according to that weather condition.

It only works for clouds.

People choose EnvTex because it had better looking Sky textures than ASCA.

In the mean time after several updates the ASCA Skies look way better. Luckily you can choose which Sky textures are being used : ASCA / EnvTex / ASCA + EnvTex.

See some of my vids and you will see very realistic clouds and skies...

Edited by vgbaron
Split from another thread

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

54 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Dynamic mode : different cloud textures ( up to 8 ) are being loaded along the flight according to the weather conditions 

Global mode : 1 cloud textureset is being loaded at the beginning of the flight according to that weather condition.

It only works for clouds.

People choose EnvTex because it had better looking Sky textures than ASCA.

In the mean time after several updates the ASCA Skies look way better. Luckily you can choose which Sky textures are being used : ASCA / EnvTex / ASCA + EnvTex.

See some of my vids and you will see very realistic clouds and skies...

I know how ASCA works and its limitations. I prefer REX soft clouds and some of the freeware sky textures found here:

http://1coder.ru/SKY/downloads.html

Unfortunately the user is not allowed to replace ASCA textures for freeware textures nor clouds for soft clouds so that they can be used with dynamic mode.

17 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I know how ASCA works and its limitations. I prefer REX soft clouds and some of the freeware sky textures found here:

Unfortunately the user is not allowed to replace ASCA textures for freeware textures nor clouds for soft clouds so that they can be used with dynamic mode.

Your reply to Paul's question how ASCA interacts with Dynamic / Global " it does not" was incorrect.

It does interact...

Regarding replacing/adding other skies/ clouds ( SP1 ) :

"You can now create your own custom content and make it ASCA and AS16/ASP4 compatible with full dynamics capability, with just a few clicks of the mouse – enjoying full weather and geographic profile selection influence. Currently, Sky Color textures are supported, and more categories are planned to be added soon."

2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Your reply to Paul's question how ASCA interacts with Dynamic / Global " it does not" was incorrect.

It does interact...

Thank you Gerard :)

12 minutes ago, GSalden said:

It does interact...

Regarding replacing/adding other skies/clouds it is up to Hifisimtech. They have allowed EnvTex to add Sky textures.

"I use ASCA and would be interested to know how it interacts with Dynamic and Global modes"

The answer is that REX4 does NOT interact with ASCA the way that ENVTEX does. I think that that's what Paul wants to know.

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Fortunately for us, this is NO LONGER correct.  Please go here >>>> 

The creator (Mamedov Gennadiy) has provided all instructions on how to do this in his JULY 22 response to this thread...

I am currently using this setup and I can assure you, my P3D skies have NEVER looked so awesome.  If you prefer to use Soft Clouds INSTEAD of ASCA clouds, simply UNCHECK the CLOUD TEXTURES in ASCA settings and ASCA will always display your SOFT CLOUDS without changing them.  Carefully follow the instructions for installing his textures into ASCA and you will be very happy with the results :biggrin:

Just now, vcarlo said:

The creator (Mamedov Gennadiy) has provided all instructions on how to do this in his JULY 22 response to this thread...

I am currently using this setup and I can assure you, my P3D skies have NEVER looked so awesome.  If you prefer to use Soft Clouds INSTEAD of ASCA clouds, simply UNCHECK the CLOUD TEXTURES in ASCA settings and ASCA will always display your SOFT CLOUDS without changing them.  Carefully follow the instructions for installing his textures into ASCA and you will be very happy with the results :biggrin:

Thanks. That's what I've done.

As I stated, ASCA will only work in Dynamic mode with it's own clouds. ENVTEX allows ASCA to inject ENVTEX textures, but the clouds are handled by ASCA. You can use Soft clouds and disable in ASCA control panel, but you will not get the variety of clouds ASCA provides.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Using this mechanism subverts the primary point of using ASCA; specifically, you won't get dynamic textures based on changing atmospheric conditions.  Instead, you just get the same textures over and over again. As stated in this thread, that's why many have switched to ENTEX....you get the best of both worlds....   

27 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Using this mechanism subverts the primary point of using ASCA; specifically, you won't get dynamic textures based on changing atmospheric conditions.  Instead, you just get the same textures over and over again. As stated in this thread, that's why many have switched to ENTEX....you get the best of both worlds....   

I am sorry sir, but that statement is  not accurate. I have installed the 11 sets of SKY textures from Gennadly into ASCA following his EXACT instructions. I run ASCA  using the FULL DYNAMICS theme. When ASCA loads the textures it reports all SKY, CIRRUS, and CLOUD Textures injected into the sim and I can watch them change each time.  I do NOT UNCHECK any settings (sky colors, cirrus, cloud textures, cloud structures) and I do NOT get the same textures over and over again.

The other user was wanting to use REX soft clouds only.  If the USER unchecks "Cloud Textures" in ASCA, you are correct.  He will only see Soft cloud textures over and over again.  As of today, ASCA cannot change the CLOUD textures submitted by  ENVTEX.    Only SKY Textures.

I prefer using ASCA cloud textures changing with the environment and Gennadly's SKY textures changing with the conditions along with new clouds.  This is possible and I am seeing it and enjoying it.

Okay so you guys are saying that when ASCA is set to Full Dynamic mode, it's using its own ASCA's Cloud Textures and cannot use the ones from ENVTEX or any other 3rd party Cloud Textures? 

So the only textures that will work when having ASCA in Full Dynamic mode are the sky color textures?

Do you guys like ASCA's cloud textures or the ENVTEX ones?

BTW, I have rain, snow, grass, airport and water textures all OFF. I don't really like the ones in ENVTEX. Default P3D water looks much better and not as flat, and plus I lose the animated waves near the shores.

vcarlo and gsalden, could you guys please post some screenshots of your in sim setup, I would love to see what it looks like. Ever since I hopped onto the PTA+ENVTEX+ASCA+AS4 train, I'm not entirely blown away by my results. I am using the PTA Absolute Less Haze 2.52 preset from ENVTEX as well and it really makes my cockpit overly saturated which looks horrible. The rest looks pretty decent though.

Totally confused about what ASCA or ENVTEX or ASCA+ENVTEX or ASCA+ENVTEX+Mamedov Gennadiy's sky textures are doing either together or separately now..

Topic has been hijacked I guess :D

Same here, I would also like to know. I felt like I wasted money purchasing ENVTEX. I don't really care for those other textures such as airport, water, rain, snow, grass. I was interested in it mainly for the sky color textures, clouds, and ASCA/PTA Integration. But seems like you can get better results with the freeware sky package from Gennaldy. So my only question is, where does that leave ENVTEX for? I wish I could get a refund.

I think what this thread proves is the total confusion that reigns, as we don't have a completely satisfactory total solution from one developer and, it seems, it's not possible to create an all encompassing hybrid from what is available. I suspect that REX SF 3D will be the point at which we might be able to make sense of all this. Meantime I'll just stick with Active Sky and ASCA for P3DV4. Unless anyone has a good suggestion? I have REX TD.

Having said all that, I do agree that ASCA has improved a lot with the updates.

• Upvote 1

So generally speaking, I'm assuming that with the latest update of ASCA, the sky colors and cloud textures are better than ENVTEX's?

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Okay so you guys are saying that when ASCA is set to Full Dynamic mode, it's using its own ASCA's Cloud Textures and cannot use the ones from ENVTEX or any other 3rd party Cloud Textures? 

So the only textures that will work when having ASCA in Full Dynamic mode are the sky color textures

If you want to use full dynamics, then you will need to enable ASCA clouds & structures if you want to see a variety of clouds.

ENVTEX works with ASCA so that the ENVTEX sky textures can be injected dynamically.

Most who use ENVTEX like the sky textures and seem to also like the ASCA clouds. They get the best of both worlds.

The freeware sky textures can be added to ASCA, and used in Full Dynamic mode. I just don't like most of the ASCA clouds. That's where I'm at.

When ASCA is running in the mode Full Dynamics, it uses it's own textures dynamically from its own texture folders. That's the way it's built. It can only load those textures. Which textures and cloud-models gets loaded, is based on weather data taken from AS16. AS16, is needed to run ASCA in Full Dynamics mode.

ENVTEX is designed to inject its own textures INTO ASCA texture folders.

When ASCA is injecting textures into FSX/P3D, it uses the same texture folders as always, but when ENVTEX has injected textures into ASCA, it instead of using it's own textures, is using ENVTEX textures instead. 

In theory I guess you should be able to replace textures within ASCA's texture folders - and even using REX textures - if you know what kind of textures is used where. Specific REX Cumulus-models/textures should match the specific Cumulus-models/textures, which ASCA is using. Also I'm fairly certain, that REX / ASCA textures are compressed, so you'd have to find a way to extract them and identify them.

Hope that made some sense... 

I'm still confused about the difference between Dynamic and Global mode. I use ENVTEX for sky textures via ASCA. I thought Global mode was easier on frame rates? Can you use ENVTEX in either mode? What is the advantages of one over the other? 

35 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So generally speaking, I'm assuming that with the latest update of ASCA, the sky colors and cloud textures are better than ENVTEX's?

Why of course! Completely and fantastically better!

Now, ignore what I just said because I am not you.

This whole discussion is amusing - we are talking about the most subjective thing in P3D - what we see and like. Not only are we all different with different tastes, we have different systems and monitors and I'd venture a guess that MOST of the monitors are not properly color calibrated - yet we get post after post asking which is better. Amazing.

I can line up a whole slew of posts stating that ASCA and ENVTEX are the greatest thing ever and I can go into different threads and find a slew stating that REX Soft Clouds and TD are better.

The point is we, each of us, has a preference and each of us has come to that preference by simply trying different things until we get something that pleases US.

As to which is better - sorry folks, that question will NEVER be answered yet I guess it will continue to be asked.

Vic

Maybe a QUOTE from the Developer of ENVTEX himself will help people understand that ENVTEX and ASCA integration is for changing SKY TEXTURES ONLY (NOT CLOUDS !!! )

I understand it can look complicated at first sight but it's actually not that much 

First, the "ASCA integration" sky themes are different from those available in the customization screens: 

If you don't use this feature, Envtex will install one of the 11 sky themes, in these 11 sky themes, more than 500 textures are included, which brings a lot of variety within 1 theme.

If you use the ASCA integration feature, then the 60 Envtex themes for ASCA will override the 11 "usual" sky themes. The same number of textures are included in these 60 themes, with less variety within 1 theme (we don't need any variety thanks to the dynamic texture injection).

When you use the ASCA integration feature with:

ASCA + Envtex : ASCA will dynamically inject Envtex AND Asca sky textures, ASCA will use one of all the ASCA and 60 Envtex sky themes depending on weather and location (if you use full dynamics or global automatic settings within ASCA of course)

Envtex textures only: ASCA will dynamically inject Envtex sky textures, ASCA will use one of all the 60 Envtex sky themes depending on weather and location (if you use full dynamics or global automatic settings within ASCA of course)

In both case, if you chose to use Envtex clouds textures, ASCA will override them if you chose to enable "Cloud textures" within ASCA and if you use the "Global Automatic" or "Full Dynamics" setting. If you disabled the ASCA "Cloud textures" then the Envtex clouds textures will be displayed by FS/P3D, but they will not be changing dynamically (At the moment this is not possible but as I read on avsim, it is indeed in our plan, as soon as ASCA allows that).

It's not very easy to explain this clearly, but I hope it helps =)

• Upvote 1

Thanks, that clear things up for me. I've been using ASCA in full dynamic mode thinking it would also include ENVTEX's cloud textures as well... so it's only using the sky color textures then. So what mode do you set it in ASCA if you want to use the cloud textures from ENVTEX?

Seems to me I'd have better luck going with Kiwi's freeware sky color texture route with ASCA instead of ENVTEX. 

I thought ASCA+ENVTEX integration included all textures from ENVTEX, clouds, sky colors, etc. 

8 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I'm still confused about the difference between Dynamic and Global mode. I use ENVTEX for sky textures via ASCA. I thought Global mode was easier on frame rates? Can you use ENVTEX in either mode? What is the advantages of one over the other? 

Simply - Global mode uses one (selected) set and ASCA selects the bits based upon the weather. Dynamic does the same but it uses many more sets so the variations are greater. 

Vic

21 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Thanks, that clear things up for me. I've been using ASCA in full dynamic mode thinking it would also include ENVTEX's cloud textures as well... so it's only using the sky color textures then. So what mode do you set it in ASCA if you want to use the cloud textures from ENVTEX?

Seems to me I'd have better luck going with Kiwi's freeware sky color texture route with ASCA instead of ENVTEX. 

I thought ASCA+ENVTEX integration included all textures from ENVTEX, clouds, sky colors, etc. 

Once again, I recommend we go STRAIGHT to the developer for an answer.  This is a QUOTE from Damian Clark HIFI Developer >>>>

Hello Paul,

Full Dynamics and Global Automatic work the same for all but "Cloud Textures".

Specific to Cloud Textures: 
For Full Dynamics, each of the ~400 cloud model variants are specifically associated to explicit cloud texture variants. A generic example: Model variant CumulusHumilis48s3 might be associated to "Satin". There are approximately 8 unique cloud texture variants within all associations including the High Performance Hard and High Performance Soft variants, which are reduced-resolution generic soft/hard variants used for overcast clouds per your Overcast Cloud Resolution setting. In this mode, you can have in theory up to 8 different cloud texture variants visible at once depending on the cloud models used in each of the wx cells used within your visible range.

For Global Automatic, only one cloud texture variant (i.e. Satin) is used at a time for all clouds (thus "Global"), but updates throughout your flight as wx conditions change. It changes when the conditions change. For example you may be in a "Fair Wx" profile at departure, but 10 minutes later are in a "Hazy" profile or perhaps a "Rainy" profile. Any time this changes, AS16 will trigger a change, re-selection of wx influenced items, and re-activation of such items.

The wx influence used for Global Automatic cloud selections and the general "Auto" cirrus and sky color selections is based on many factors, not just METAR (air stability, for one).

The wx influence parameters are changed (if desired) within ASCA settings for Wx Influence, by choosing which profiles should be considered for specific variants.

Sky colors: For the Instinctive1-5 sets, 1 is more hazy/desaturated, while 5 is more clear/vibrant. The idea is that clearer or more unstable atmospheres have a certain visual vibrance enhancements to the sky colors.

Hope that helps!

Damian Clark

Blue skies and fair winds,

V Carlo 

From the quote above from Damian, "The wx influence used for Global Automatic cloud selections and the general "Auto" cirrus and sky color selections is based on many factors, not just METAR (air stability, for one)."

Does this also apply when in full dynamic mode? 

22 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Does this also apply when in full dynamic mode?

Yes it does.

Vic

• Upvote 1

I guess you've heard of "tongue twisters"? I find all this a "brain twister".  After months of trying to figure these associations out, reading the help forum at togoprojects and here, I found the ultimate solution-- I just click a few buttons in this program and a few in this other program and go fly... all the while intending to forget about all the option clicking.

Life is now much simpler, and I can forget about all the opposing views and about how each others statements are incorrect. It's about the same result as turning off the news on radio and tv.   

• Upvote 1