jrgaz

Very Informative and Interesting Video

Recommended Posts

Found this guy's(a RW 737-800 pilot) videos on YouTube.  They're the best I've seen so far.  Learned so much from him. Take a look....

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Don't know if you meant to do this but you posted the same topic twice. Very nice video, thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched all of his videos and they're great!

He's a real NG driver so you know you're getting good information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a wealth of knowledge with an excellent presentation.  I do have to run it at 3/4 speed so I can fully understand.  :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, those are good on info, although I think he could do with slowing the rate at which he is covering stuff. That's a common mistake with people who are very knowledgeable when they pass stuff on, they are so familiar with things, they forget it was hard initially when they were learning it and that info was new to them.

I always have to be mindful of that when I train people because it's a similar thing, I know so much about the subjects I teach that it seems easy to me, but of course anything is easy when you know how and you've been doing it for years. There is more to teaching people than simply knowing stuff, it's about being able to convey the stuff you know well too.

Of course with youtube videos, you can always pause them and watch them again, but knowledge is often easier to take in when it comes at a comfortable pace and you aren't risking overloading people with too much information all at once, otherwise it starts falling out of the person's other ear whilst they are trying to take in more and more.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice video. I don't agree that LVL CHG is the most efficient method to descend. VNAV SPD would be just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spin737 said:

Nice video. I don't agree that LVL CHG is the most efficient method to descend. VNAV SPD would be just as good.

If you know how to use lvl chg properly it is much much better then vnav...take  a lot of practice though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

If you know how to use lvl chg properly it is much much better then vnav...take  a lot of practice though. 

I'm curious.  Could you please elaborate???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

If you know how to use lvl chg properly it is much much better then vnav...take  a lot of practice though. 

That true?  My understanding (is not that great) was that LVL CHG, in descent mode, brings the engines to idle and then maintains "speed window" speed, whereas VNAV maintains optimal profile down to the target altitude while assuring all speed and altitude restrictions are met.  Might be fun to do it manually, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

If you know how to use lvl chg properly it is much much better then vnav...take  a lot of practice though. 

Much much better? How so?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does V/S not get any love? I usually enter V/S, make alterations to VNAV, then I either re-use VNAV or I use its vertical bearing data (DES Page on CDU) and the green banana as a reference whilst still using V/S.

Matt/Joe, how would you guys manage the same descent given his conditions he set in the video?

I know there are a few ways in addition to what FD2S did. In no way am I qualified to criticise or judge his methods and I will try it out some time... thanks for the videos FD2S! Very much appreciated.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/9/2017 at 9:02 PM, Copper. said:

Why does V/S not get any love? I usually enter V/S, make alterations to VNAV, then I either re-use VNAV or I use its vertical bearing data (DES Page on CDU) and the green banana as a reference whilst still using V/S.

Matt/Joe, how would you guys manage the same descent given his conditions he set in the video?

I know there are a few ways in addition to what FD2S did. In no way am I qualified to criticise or judge his methods and I will try it out some time... thanks for the videos FD2S! Very much appreciated.

v/s is as good as the other to modes. Difference is that V/S disregards speed.. you have to be very careful not to exceed Vmo/mmo or VFE. in many cases if you are high on your descend profile, is better to slow down and configure than using speed to maintain a high rate of descend. Even is this gets you even higher on your profile. Remeber, the number one enemy for being high on your approach is speed, not altitude.:biggrin:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, viperlid said:

Remeber, the number one enemy for being high on your approach is speed, not altitude.:biggrin:

Excessive energy is the enemy.  It can be in the form of speed or altitude, or both.  The focus should not be on either speed or altitude but on total energy management.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys!

Firstly, a massive thank you to anyone who has watched my videos and for everyone who has left positive feedback. It’s just to give you a little insight of how one company operates the 737.

Secondly a shout out to PMDG who really have made an incredible product, the NGX is incredibly accurate and very similar to the real thing. I really look forward to hopefully some sort of update for the NGX one day!

To answer some queries!

On 9/26/2017 at 5:06 AM, Chock said:

Yup, those are good on info, although I think he could do with slowing the rate at which he is covering stuff. That's a common mistake with people who are very knowledgeable when they pass stuff on, they are so familiar with things, they forget it was hard initially when they were learning it and that info was new to them.

I always have to be mindful of that when I train people because it's a similar thing, I know so much about the subjects I teach that it seems easy to me, but of course anything is easy when you know how and you've been doing it for years. There is more to teaching people than simply knowing stuff, it's about being able to convey the stuff you know well too.

Of course with youtube videos, you can always pause them and watch them again, but knowledge is often easier to take in when it comes at a comfortable pace and you aren't risking overloading people with too much information all at once, otherwise it starts falling out of the person's other ear whilst they are trying to take in more and more.

 

Thanks for the feedback Chock!

Based on similar feedback you might have noticed with some of my newer tutorials I've tweaked my settings so my voice is considerably easier to hear and slower paced too. When I explain actions completed by both PF, PM and the operational impact of what I'm doing, a lot of information comes very quickly and I agree my original tutorials were a bit fast paced (How I would teach cadets on a Type Rating with the background SOP and technical knowledge). For someone unfamiliar with Instrument Flying or hasn't completed any sort of flight training they would definitely find it overwhelming! 

 

On 9/26/2017 at 7:12 PM, Spin737 said:

Nice video. I don't agree that LVL CHG is the most efficient method to descend. VNAV SPD would be just as good.

 

Thanks buddy and I 100% agree with you! Trying to explain the nuances of VNAV to someone on a Type Rating is hard enough! LVL CHG, being the basic mode it is, is far easier to explain

Spin737 being a 737 driver knows but VNAV SPD in descent is very similar to LVL CHG but with the added benefit of complying with restrictions in the FMC. LVL CHG will just descend to whatever is set in the MCP.

 

On 9/27/2017 at 3:02 AM, Copper. said:

Why does V/S not get any love? I usually enter V/S, make alterations to VNAV, then I either re-use VNAV or I use its vertical bearing data (DES Page on CDU) and the green banana as a reference whilst still using V/S.

Matt/Joe, how would you guys manage the same descent given his conditions he set in the video?

I know there are a few ways in addition to what FD2S did. In no way am I qualified to criticise or judge his methods and I will try it out some time... thanks for the videos FD2S! Very much appreciated.

I love V/S!! But with no direct speed control it must be used carefully if high on profile! During the Type Rating/Line Training we stress to use the MCP as a Toolbox, essentially use whatever pitch mode you need to get the job done. VNAV PTH is the preferred descent mode and so long as you're flying the magenta line will provide the most efficient/idle thrust descent taking any restrictions into account.

 

7 hours ago, JoeDiamond said:

Excessive energy is the enemy.  It can be in the form of speed or altitude, or both.  The focus should not be on either speed or altitude but on total energy management.

 

100% agree, descent is all about energy management. You might be on your vertical profile but going 50kts too fast is not on profile! 

 

7 hours ago, Angelo Cosma said:

The video is no longer appearing in the original post, was it FlightDeck2sim perhaps?

I haven't touched it!!!

Thank you all, I occasionally check the forums and like to contribute where I can but you're well covered with some really knowledgeable Boeing Drivers! 

and thanks PMDG for making a great aircraft, I notice a difference with students who have used the product to practice, it really helps to familiarize themselves! 

All the best!

Sam B

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flightdeck2sim said:

 

Thank you all, I occasionally check the forums and like to contribute where I can but you're well covered with some really knowledgeable Boeing Drivers! 

and thanks PMDG for making a great aircraft, I notice a difference with students who have used the product to practice, it really helps to familiarize themselves! 

All the best!

Sam B

 

Thanks Sam for your very informative videos on YouTube so us simmers can bring real world procedures to our desktops. I always wanted to be a pilot but chose a different career path,  in law enforcement which I now regret. However with the likes of pmdg and p3d etc and people like yourself who give up their time and pass on knowledge makes our simming experience very satisfying.

Regards

Branko

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't flown the 737 in a bit now that I'm on the 767, which btw is a lot easier to slow down than the 737. The only thing you gotta keep in mind with reference to slowing down is ATC will not let you slow down to 210 a lot of the times. If you've flown in the states going into the NY area forget it. You will have atc come down on you the minute you drop below 270! When I was on the NG we quite often used cost indexes of 18-22 which will give you a descent speed of  approximately 255-260. Don't know how many times ATC has said no way. Not when 50 aircraft behind you are coming in at 280-310. Best defence for proper descent planning is knowledge of what to expect from ATC like the OP said in his video "on a vfr day ATC will give you direct......". Other than that, it's annoying but dropping the gear has its benefits. Also as soon as you get below 10,000 start using the slats and flaps. Once held up high for way too long 40,000 and 45 miles from the airport  we still made the runway without any deviation in our lateral track and still meet the stabilized approach criteria so it can be done.

Jack Colwill

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jack C said:

If you've flown in the states going into the NY area forget it.

haha - yep. Gotta love N90...

Love listening to those controllers, though. It's an very different control technique and clip than down here at PCT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack C said:

Once held up high for way too long 40,000 and 45 miles from the airport  we still made the runway without any deviation in our lateral track and still meet the stabilized approach criteria so it can be done.

Flipping heck! What were you in?? A hot air balloon??? :uwe_merm:

Sam B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha no the NG. Came down like a hot air balloon.......minus the hot air though 😊

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now