Mitch24

Almost there with Night Flying

Recommended Posts

I have always found night flying in FSX and pre-V4 P3D to be un-realistic... I found it to be way too bright, and airport night lighting was just always too dark and never gave me the feeling of night flying like I have experienced in real life.

With the update of V4 and dynamic lighting, I have found night flying to be much MUCH better, and way more realistic. However, there is still a problem that I can't seem to solve...

The moon shining light on my aircraft is WAYY too bright!! It completely lights up my entire airplane, to the point at wing view the entire wing is bright white milky color. Even at midnight. The airplane fuselage should be completely BLACK, and dark.

Even with HDR lighting turned almost all the way down, the airplane still shines with the milky white color. 

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm pretty sure that you can modify this with either Envtex and/or PTA. I've never tried it myself.

 

Vic

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I'm pretty sure that you can modify this with either Envtex and/or PTA. I've never tried it myself.

 

Vic

 

The moon lighting?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Those things can be fixed with the PTA tool.  It has specific settings for night texture brightness but it sounds like you would need to adjust the diffuse moonlight setting.  I had the same issue where the moon was making the ground textures way too bright, almost daytime-like and I toned it down a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

  I had the same issue where the moon was making the ground textures way too bright, almost daytime-like and I toned it down a bit.

Can you explain how? In the CFG?

Share this post


Link to post

You would have to purchase the PTA tool in order to adjust that.  The only other thing that could effect it is your HDR settings.  If you turn off HDR, does this still happen? 

Share this post


Link to post

I have noticed that the ground is way too bright as well at night as well.  And I dislike the long lines of light that illuminate major hi ways.   It would be nice if motor vehicles were all that provided light and they would not be visible from high altitudes.  I am not familiar with the PTA tool.  I will research it.  

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Flic1 said:

You would have to purchase the PTA tool in order to adjust that.  The only other thing that could effect it is your HDR settings.  If you turn off HDR, does this still happen? 

That's nonsense, they are just tweaks! I surely don't have to buy a program for that tweak, does anyone know what the tweak is?

Share this post


Link to post

Obviously, play with the HDR and lighting settings. See if you can get a balance that looks good to you. You might also want to calibrate your monitor as see if that gets you closer to what you want.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

That's nonsense, they are just tweaks! I surely don't have to buy a program for that tweak, does anyone know what the tweak is?

If you don't want to purchase PTA you can try Reshade which is free, both products use post procesing Directx shaders to improve the looks of the sim.

PTA has been designed and calibrated for Prepar3d, Reshade is an open source solution which can be installed to any Directx or OpenGl application including games, lots of people use Reshade for many video games and they share their presets with others users.

I use Reshade with my own personal preset.

I wish you a great simulation experience.

Simbol 

Share this post


Link to post

I've found that I just have to turn off HDR when flying at night.  I love my day settings, and any tweaks I've found to shaders also affect the daytime appearance.  With merely HDR turned off at night, I get a much more palatable environment.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, medx421 said:

I've found that I just have to turn off HDR when flying at night.  I love my day settings, and any tweaks I've found to shaders also affect the daytime appearance.  With merely HDR turned off at night, I get a much more palatable environment.

That has been my experience as well.

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know how you guys can run hdr at all.  Can't stand how the default hdr works - day time everything becomes so dark if you're in sunshine.  Nighttime - I never have it on especially then.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I don't know how you guys can run hdr at all.  Can't stand how the default hdr works - day time everything becomes so dark if you're in sunshine.  Nighttime - I never have it on especially then.

Interesting.  I like HDR off also as it seem artificial and washes out color...but I find the opposite...too dark in daytime.  Could you share what sky texture add ons you use, PTA preset, etc?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now