w6kd

SLI config working again in V4.1

In several months of trying, I never was able to get my 2x 980Ti SLI config to work properly in P3D v4.0...one GPU would load up, the other would stay at 4-7% load.  P3D V3 worked as normal with the GPUs sharing the load.  Tried three different drivers, clean installs, deleted about a dozen sets of shaders.  Nothing worked.

So quite happily, installation of the 4.1 client and content updates now has my SLI config working normally in P3D v4.1--I was seriously contemplating driving to Denver tomorrow to buy a 1080Ti just so I could be done with it.

So, I'll call this one a win just for that.

Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Bob,

Good to see you still pushing the envelope.

How did the cards perform frame and quality wise in SLI versus single?

Would really be interested in how much of, and what kind of an advantage SLI is at this stage.

Kind regards,

16 minutes ago, w6kd said:

In several months of trying, I never was able to get my 2x 980Ti SLI config to work properly in P3D v4.0...one GPU would load up, the other would stay at 4-7% load.  P3D V3 worked as normal with the GPUs sharing the load.  Tried three different drivers, clean installs, deleted about a dozen sets of shaders.  Nothing worked.

So quite happily, installation of the 4.1 client and content updates now has my SLI config working normally in P3D v4.1--I was seriously contemplating driving to Denver tomorrow to buy a 1080Ti just so I could be done with it.

Regards

Must be something else on your system. SLI has been working great on my 4.0 system (and still) . Even better than V3

Thanks

Michael Moe

Hi Stephen;

Test scenario was the PMDG NGX at LatinVFR KMIA, night, 1/2 mile in fog and rain with ASP4, with dynamic lighting on.  I run a 4K 55" TV for a monitor.  On one card I get ~20-24 fps and a fairly jerky experience.  With both in SLI, I can hold 30 locked to the TV refresh rate with VSync and very smooth in the same conditions.  Not sure how a 1080Ti would compare, but with SLI working, the two 980Tis are still packing what it takes to make P3Dv4 really sing.  In daytime without the weather it really is pretty sweet.

That said, if I were looking right now I'd go with a 1080Ti to save the butt pain of SLI.  It's been a real adventure these last few years dealing with SLI madness.  I do sometimes wonder what a pair of 1080Tis in SLI would be like, but I can't say I'd be adventurous enough to try it.  I think SLI will go the way of the dodo fairly soon.

Cheers

41 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Hi Stephen;

Test scenario was the PMDG NGX at LatinVFR KMIA, night, 1/2 mile in fog and rain with ASP4, with dynamic lighting on.  I run a 4K 55" TV for a monitor.  On one card I get ~20-24 fps and a fairly jerky experience.  With both in SLI, I can hold 30 locked to the TV refresh rate with VSync and very smooth in the same conditions.  Not sure how a 1080Ti would compare, but with SLI working, the two 980Tis are still packing what it takes to make P3Dv4 really sing.  In daytime without the weather it really is pretty sweet.

That said, if I were looking right now I'd go with a 1080Ti to save the butt pain of SLI.  It's been a real adventure these last few years dealing with SLI madness.  I do sometimes wonder what a pair of 1080Tis in SLI would be like, but I can't say I'd be adventurous enough to try it.  I think SLI will go the way of the dodo fairly soon.

Cheers

Yep,SSAA, METARS with OVC and properly Dynamic lights and reflections is where i (think) SLI 1080TI´s would be useful

Thanks

Michael Moe

5 hours ago, w6kd said:

I do sometimes wonder what a pair of 1080Tis in SLI would be like, but I can't say I'd be adventurous enough to try it.  I think SLI will go the way of the dodo fairly soon.

I'm using 3 x 1080Tis in a 3-way SLI configuration. Originally I'd planned one projector to each card (rather that 3 PCs each with a card), but tried SLI with 4.0 and whilst it is no faster, it is certainly smoother, and smoothness is important.

4.1 performs about the same for me as 4.0.

Pete

• Upvote 1

Hi guys !

Could you let me know how much GPU usage you get with each your GC in SLI ?

Thanks 

Hi Pete, I’m the Dutch guy you met at Cosford Flighsim show at Prosim stand.. ( remember the selfie haha ) May I ask you why you have decided not to go for your original plan to use 1 card per projector  but rather use them in SLI? In theory I would say that 1 card per projector sounds really good as you will have 100 % dedicated usage of each card for each projector as if you would have 3 PC’s with such a card for each projector...

On 13/10/2017 at 6:37 AM, w6kd said:

Regards

Hello

Do you have the sli set up in the ndivia control panel as "Single GPU" or the other option (I forget what it is)

I have "Maximize 3D Performance" ticked in the Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX menu in nVidia control panel.  It shows a green "SLI" bar bridging across the two video cards and a single connection to the monitor (TV) from the leftmost one only.

nVidia Inspector is set to default for P3D.

Regards

I gave up on SLI "performance mode" as it seemed too dependent on nVidia driver versions ... it also has some strange side affects generating incorrect z-order where I would see building/ground objects render in front of clouds or in some cases PAPI lights wouldn't render at all.  Not to mention I had to disable it for use with XP11 and other flight sims.

BUT, it's great to see some positive reports on SLI.  I would love to see someone post some timeframe data with and without SLI using SSAA and DL (same flight scenario) ... Vsyn On/Off.  Who knows, maybe I'll buy two V100 GPUs instead of one when available.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Precision EVGA XOC will show you GPU loads across each GPU (when you enable OSD and setup each GPU's OSD setting). https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/

• Upvote 1

I have since switched to a 1080TI but when I was running the 1070's in SLI I used EVGA XOC and the load was split between the two cards pretty evenly. I really had to work hard to get them much above 70% and that would be with heavy clouds, high density airport and coomplex a/c. Most of the time it was below 50% usage.

As others have said, I gained no FPS from SLI but smoothness was the thing that I noticed.

Vic

I use Nvidia Inspector to  show me the loads and memory use etc in realtime. 

IT can be placed above P3DV4 so it shows all the time flying. 

Evga XOC is not happy on my system 

Thanks Michael Moe 

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I gave up on SLI "performance mode" as it seemed too dependent on nVidia driver versions ... 

BUT, it's great to see some positive reports on SLI....

Yes, I remember the havoc that ensued with P3Dv3.4 when a particular driver (or two) rendered SLI useless. It was a real showstopper for me since I was trying to make do with two GTX580's in SLI, which made the sim usable. It would hardly move with just one. Never tried it in P3Dv4.0 (or v41) as I bought a GTX1080 with the trimmings.

32 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I have since switched to a 1080TI but when I was running the 1070's in SLI I used EVGA XOC and the load was split between the two cards pretty evenly. I really had to work hard to get them much above 70% and that would be with heavy clouds, high density airport and coomplex a/c. Most of the time it was below 50% usage.

As others have said, I gained no FPS from SLI but smoothness was the thing that I noticed.

Vic

Vic, 

Did you get an FPS difference between the single 1080Ti and the 1070's in SLI? 

That seems to me to drill down on the entire SLI/no SLI matter.

Kind regards,

Not that I noticed Stephen. Of course, I lock at 20 so I wouldn't see any increase and smooth is smooth at any FPS. What I do notice is that the Ti doesn't seem to work as hard as the SLI 1070's. Same situation wher the SLI would giver me 50% usage on both, the Ti is around 35 or 45%. That card is a beast.

Vic

21 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Not that I noticed Stephen. Of course, I lock at 20 so I wouldn't see any increase and smooth is smooth at any FPS. What I do notice is that the Ti doesn't seem to work as hard as the SLI 1070's. Same situation wher the SLI would giver me 50% usage on both, the Ti is around 35 or 45%. That card is a beast.

Vic

I imagine so!

With SLI you have nearly double the noise, heat, and juice running. I bought a reference GTX1080 which easily overclocks with MSI Afterburner that runs the core clock at 2100Mhz and memory at 5500Mhz but temps seldom exceeds mid 60s C.

The thing is, when I analyse the 8 (4+4HT) CPU threads (2700K at 4.935Ghz) they are running at or near 100% as is the GPU which is showing 100% fully utilized. I theorize that if I drop in another GTX1080 in SLI I have room for it's output to grow quite a bit.

If I had your processor, or some of the new ones coming up I expect that a 2080 (or 2x1080) :) might be needed! 

Kind regards,

PS: What does happen to your FPS and smoothness when you set unlimited? I expect it would be going so fast your watch runs backwards...

I'm running 1070 SLI mode now with good performance.  I think SLI was a NVidia marketing effort to get you to buy 2 GPU's instead of one.  Tech today is good enough to do a single good card like the 1080ti so I will dump the SLI soon.  Lower Hard / Soft resource requirements also with less noise.

Cheers

bs

11 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I gave up on SLI "performance mode" as it seemed too dependent on nVidia driver versions ... it also has some strange side affects generating incorrect z-order where I would see building/ground objects render in front of clouds or in some cases PAPI lights wouldn't render at all.  Not to mention I had to disable it for use with XP11 and other flight sims.

BUT, it's great to see some positive reports on SLI.  I would love to see someone post some timeframe data with and without SLI using SSAA and DL (same flight scenario) ... Vsyn On/Off.  Who knows, maybe I'll buy two V100 GPUs instead of one when available.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Precision EVGA XOC will show you GPU loads across each GPU (when you enable OSD and setup each GPU's OSD setting). https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/

Hello Rob, 

Quick question for you if you have a moment. I’ve always found your 4K settings very handy as a basis for my system. Would you by chance have an updated version posted somewhere for V4.0 or V4.1? I checked your website but didn’t see anything new there. Thanks for your time. 

20 minutes ago, N405GJ said:

Would you by chance have an updated version posted somewhere for V4.0 or V4.1?

Yes, take a look at my signature below... P3DWiki or this link: http://p3dwiki.com/graphics.html

Select one of the 8 situation/tabs that best fit's your type of flying (GA Rural Night, GA Rural Day, etc. etc).

You may also want to try 8XMSAA rather than 2XSSAA or 4XSSAA.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, take a look at my signature below... P3DWiki or this link: http://p3dwiki.com/graphics.html

Select one of the 8 situation/tabs that best fit's your type of flying (GA Rural Night, GA Rural Day, etc. etc).

You may also want to try 8XMSAA rather than 2XSSAA or 4XSSAA.

Cheers, Rob.

I saw Titan Pascal 0.0 : Are you in SLI titan XP ?

On 10/19/2017 at 8:41 AM, wimbutte said:

Hi Pete, I’m the Dutch guy you met at Cosford Flighsim show at Prosim stand.. ( remember the selfie haha ) May I ask you why you have decided not to go for your original plan to use 1 card per projector  but rather use them in SLI?

Simply because first we tried one card per projector, and we saw more stutters and overall poorer performance. We are just guessing that this is because the data needed for the displays has to be fed separately to each one through a possibly limited channel, so afftecting CPU performance. By having them all on the one card and using SLI to allow that card to use also whatever resources it could to help, and such data transfer is taken off the processor.

It definitely appears that no matter what clever visual technology you throw at P3D, at present it still ends up being processor limited. Maybe that will change eventually, but I expect it would mean a move to DX12.

Pete

6 hours ago, supersym said:

Are you in SLI titan XP ?

I was, but not anymore.

Cheers, Rob.

3 minutes ago, supersym said:

Did'nt you see a real improvement

Many moons ago yes, but I've gone thru many nVidia driver updates since then and new P3D Version ... I haven't bothered to re-test with V4.1 and latest drivers.  Lost the desire to continue with SLI because it was so driver dependent and problematic.  That's why I was asking if someone would do some timeframe testing with and without SLI using SSAA and DL and post all their results and data.

It's pretty rare to see people bother to go thru the detail analysis (showing all the settings, add-ons, result files, etc. etc.) that I go thru ... not a criticism because I know it can take many hours and even days to run thru apples to apples testing to get accurate information. But maybe someone else can take the task on and run with it?

Cheers, Rob.

18 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

PS: What does happen to your FPS and smoothness when you set unlimited? I expect it would be going so fast your watch runs backwards...

LOL, strangely enough, it induces stutters. If I lock at 20 or 30 I'm good to go but unlimited or over 30 locked gets choppy. Did the same with the SLI setup.

Vic