craig_read

P3Dv4 Pause (Not Responding) Then Back

HI,

I have been having this for some time, P3D V4 will pause, go to 'not responding' then come back again.  It can be quite annoying particularly if you're on approach and it does it.  I've not managed to limit it to a single aircraft either.

The best way I can describe it, is it's as if FSUIPC is saving the flight.. the pause is for a few seconds, however FSUIPC is not set to do so and also it generates no saved flights.  So I am not sure where to start really, apologies if this is already covered.. if so please point me to the threads..

Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

I am having the same problem not only with P3D but also with a game. Therefore I believe it is not P3D related. I personally believe the problem occurred first after latest Windows update approx. one week ago. 

Are you both using Game Mode by any chance?

Simbol

Have the same, when I have in fsuipc unabled the autosave, the problem stopped...

Perhaps... I think that became when fsuipc saved through a p3d proccess in execution

Having the exact same issue, I'll try disabling game mode and see if that does anything.

49 minutes ago, ms2 said:

Have the same, when I have in fsuipc unabled the autosave, the problem stopped...

Perhaps... I think that became when fsuipc saved through a p3d proccess in execution

Yeah, it does seem to be coordinated with the auto save interval, but I can't give auto save up due to how many times it saved my skin on those long hauls.

Is it a Windows update thing or an FSUIPC thing? It gets quite annoying on approach when it paues like that.

Sorry where is 'game mode'?

l've always had this problem near large busy airports... sim freezes for about 5 seconds and the blue mouse circle cursor thingy spins... then sim resumes as if nothing occurred.

win+g on Windows 10 machines. It does it in cruise as well, not just on approach.

+ 1 Same issue, wondering if it's anything to do with latest Nvidia driver update 388.0

I don't know what all of you are using for a controller. But on my system, the pause function ceases to work if you place the sim in cinematic mode. The pause key is reassigned to something else. When I take the sim out of cinematic mode, the pause function once again works as expected. Perhaps you're pausing the sim to take screen shots and you're altering your viewpoint using the cinematic mode. When you re-press the pause key to resume your flight, nothing will happen until cinematic mode is turned off. At least, this is how it works using an Xbox One controller.

On 26/10/2017 at 7:46 AM, craig_read said:

HI,

I have been having this for some time, P3D V4 will pause, go to 'not responding' then come back again.  It can be quite annoying particularly if you're on approach and it does it.  I've not managed to limit it to a single aircraft either.

The best way I can describe it, is it's as if FSUIPC is saving the flight.. the pause is for a few seconds, however FSUIPC is not set to do so and also it generates no saved flights.  So I am not sure where to start really, apologies if this is already covered.. if so please point me to the threads..

Regards

Hi Craig,

You are not alone. Just why there have not been more reports about this is strange. I do not believe it has anything to do with FSUIPC Autosave as I have not enabled that feature. Nor do I believe that it is hardware related as these pauses are not random in nature and can be reproduced.

My experience, while similar, does not mirror yours exactly in that I do not see the 'Not Responding' message while in Windowed mode. Since installing v4.0  I have been experiencing a reproduceable brief pause while rolling along the runway in the Raptor. During climbout I tend to bank to the right and head directly towards Hurlburt Field (KHRT). As I approach Hurlburt the sim pauses for 4-5secs before continuing. This too is reproduceable. 

While uncommon, I have seen similar extended pauses elsewhere in the world. This happened quite a lot while I was helping to test 'Scotflight for ORBX' for Iain Gallagher. Methodical testing and reporting resulted in welcome corrections to various Scenery elements and the problem is now mostly resolved. I have to assume something similar is at play at KVPS/KHRT.

As for the rest, when they do occur I just shrug my shoulders and wait for them to pass known there is a strong likelihood there will be no further instances during the rest of a flight.

If it's happening close to a 3rd Party airport, and you can reproduce it, then I would encourage you to file a report or mention your observation on the relevant forum. Others may chime in and this might encourage some remedial action.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

What is "cinematic mode"?

I think it has to do with ChasePlane. Or it might be the built in cinematographer mode. One of those.

I always experience these pauses or hangs approaching certain scenery.  My last flight was into KLGA arriving on the MIT I flew the same track as displayed by Flightaware from my AA380 flight, from Jersey up over Brooklyn and overfly LGA on 045 track until about 5 N field then turn Southeast for downwind, Southwest for base then Northwest final for landing 31.  I started getting multiple "long frames" (as I call them) on base and had maybe three of them by the time I landed.  In other sessions I noticed that during the long frame scenery objects about 5 nm away get loaded and pop into sight, so I've always believed long frames are caused by P3D not being able to render new scenery objects within a normal frame period.  On this track P3D had to load scenery objects for both FSDT JFK and Imaginesim LGA.

I keep hoping that the next version will have enough multithreading to allow this task to get accomplished within a frame period, but until that happens I think we are stuck with long frames.

2 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Anyone find a solution to this yet?

Don't use scenery addon?  Wait for a version of P3D that overcomes the long frame problem?

4 hours ago, downscc said:

Don't use scenery addon?  Wait for a version of P3D that overcomes the long frame problem?

I seemed to have solved it by disabling FSUIPC’s time sync option, haven’t tested I with the aircraft that I was experiencing the problem in, though. 

Funny I was about to make a thread about it. Guess we are a lot in the same boat. 

Can't say the time after the latest windows10 1709 update has bin a walk in the park. Suddenly my network pc's are not allowed to share allthough ASP4 still works over network.

I had a lot of those 5-10 seconds pauses without the responding thing and the sound keeps going in the background around KLGA,KJFK,KEWR and KDCW with D D New York as well. 

Maybe 16 GB DDR is not enough? no HRT. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

I had this happening to me last flight into UK2000 EGLL where it started during the descent.

I read somewhere it could be because SODE Safe Docks used by the UK2000 EGLL scenery where disabling these should fix the problem. That didn't work in my case though so must be something else.

Very annoying (and scary since it feels like you're on the edge having a CTD) so let's hope the real culprit will be found soon looking at the number of people seeing this lately.

In my case it seems to be mostly (or even exclusively) in the UK area and more specifically in the London area. Haven't seen this elsewhere a far as I can recall.

4 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Very annoying (and scary since it feels like you're on the edge having a CTD) so let's hope the real culprit will be found soon looking at the number of people seeing this lately.

Hi Richard,

Don't know about 'lately', I experienced these pauses in 3.4, 4.0 and now 4.1.   I've mentioned it a few times but never get any responses or reassurance that I am not alone. Perhaps this thread will help to reverse that trend and encourage a drive to identify what might be responsible.

If we are assuming that the software is not responsible then what else could be implicated? In each case I have found these pauses to be at the same spot, reproduceable and in each case it seems to have something to do with delayed loading of an unidentified element or elements of scenery. For example, I recently installed ORBX's NZWR Whangarei Airport, which I can heartily recommend. Performance is excellent, but I was disappointed to experience one of those irritating pauses during takeoff. I reloaded and prior to takeoff I slewed back and forth along the length of the runway several times before trying again. Result: pause gone! This workaround is also effective elsewhere.

Again, in the past, I mentioned having helped troubleshoot similar pauses associated with a number of custom airports in the excellent product, 'Scotflight for Orbx'. At first my observations were met with some skepticism but, in time, my findings were accepted and the causes identified. Very little was divulged by the Developer but I am assuming there were issues with certain scenery elements. These were corrected and the pauses are now history.

I experience several brief pauses during takeoff along the runway in the Raptor at Elgin KVPS. I head west on a heading of 270 and as I approach Hurlburt (HRT) there is a long 4-5sec pause before the sim continues. As stated above, this too is reproduceable on my system and these pauses, brief and extended, can be worked around using the slew dodge or flying back and forth over the area. I have a friend who lives nearby and he says he does not see these pauses. His is a virgin installation of 4.1. However, it should be noted that I experienced this in 4.0 and a virgin 4.1 before reinstating all my Add-ons. Maybe a 3rd Party Add-on is in some way responsible, but the variety of diverse situations where these pauses occur suggests something other than a scenery element may be responsible, but what? Also what circumstance make these (extended pauses) reproduceable at each situation where they occur. Fortunately for me it's more an irritant than an issue of the show stopping kind as >80% of my simming time remains entirely pause free. I imagine your experience and those of others is likely to be similar.

Regards,

Mike

I’ve only just recently started having this problem, after adding a bunch of Black Friday scenery: Orbx OpenLC, Vector, DD Washington X, and Flightbeam KIAD.  So, in my case, it definitely appears to be scenery related.

i was also able to induce the pause by looking back over my shoulder in the F-22, which also makes me think that it’s related to loading complex scenery, since P3D now has to render stuff behind me.  At least, that’s my uneducated guess.

Same here, haven't seen this before but looking at this thread as well as some other places more people seem to have this problem now for some reason. Or maybe just a coincidence more people are reporting about it at the same time.

In my case I don't think I could reproduce the issue. At least not with 100% certainty. What I do know is I've seen this issue for the last couple of weeks and only when flying in the UK area.