Gregg_Seipp

How well will an i7-4790 16GB GTX-970-4GB run P3D4?

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have almost that same setup, work well for my mostly GA flying with ORBX regions and a2a Comanche. 

For me v4 runs much better then v3. With higher in game settings I would say I run now 40fps where I had previously 30fps. 

From my experience your pc should run p3dv4 better than v3

Should be fine.  LM is great about refunds if you don't like it.

3 minutes ago, 503Kento said:

I have almost that same setup, work well for my mostly GA flying with ORBX regions and a2a Comanche. 

That's a strong review.  I turned off my regions some time ago, opting for more smoothness.  An A2A plane flying in a region is tough for me.

28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

You should be fine. I have the same setup and with the same settings as I had in v3.4 Prepar3D v4 runs slightly smoother. I fly a lot of VFR with ORBX global and OpenLC NA with TerraFlora trees in an A2A Comanche or Cherokee. I run my i7-4790K at 4.6 GHz.

Good CPU, more than enough ram, the GPU will work fine. Down the road an upgrade in the GPU would be worth considering. 8 gig 1070 is getting pretty reasonable. 1070 or 1080 would let you do VR if you should decided to go in that direction.

Dave

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Gregg

Gregg

I think you will get better performance with P3DV4.1 over P3DV3.4. I am running a I7 4770K 16gb ram and a GTX 960. I get better performance in 4.1 than I did with 3.4. I can fly my PMDG 737NGX in Orbx NCA into Flight beam's KSFO without issue. On final I will get 25FPS. I am not running a 4K monitor.

Greg

9 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Gregg

I think you will get better performance with P3DV4.1 over P3DV3.4. I am running a I7 4770K 16gb ram and a GTX 960. I get better performance in 4.1 than I did with 3.4. I can fly my PMDG 737NGX in Orbx NCA into Flight beam's KSFO without issue. On final I will get 25FPS. I am not running a 4K monitor.

Greg

Running any AA?

8 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Running any AA?

FXAA on, 8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16X, textures 1024x1024 resolution 1920x1080x32.

Greg

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Greg

Okay.  Looks like I'll be good then.  Thanks all!

28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Okay.  Looks like I'll be good then.  Thanks all!

Gregg, please report back after you have some experience. We share almost identical setups.

I used to had the same spec running FSX SE, since the switch to P3Dv4 the only upgrade I made was a new 1070 GPU.  So I say go for it but maybe upgrade your GPU when you can.

4 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Greg

I run that in game except 4x msaa with gtx 970 and 2500K at 4ghz 8 gb ram

One thing I do is turn texture resolution to 1m in Orbx areas - lose a little clarity way down low (i.e. Less than 1000 agl) but it's far less work on my CPU.  Your 4790 may be a lot better able to handle it

in P3D 4.1 my biggest issue so far is video ram (our stupid 3.5) and almost running out of physical RAM

22 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

in P3D 4.1 my biggest issue so far is video ram (our stupid 3.5) and almost running out of physical RAM

Ryan,

How much physical ram do you have?

I'd recommend the K sku 4790 the 4790k that way you can overclock,  Overclocking can help quite a bit in P3d.  For example going from 3.8ghz to 4.5ghz on my 3930k picks me up right at 10fps, now this may not sound like much but it is huge.

1 minute ago, sultanofswing said:

I'd recommend the K sku 4790 the 4790k that way you can overclock,  Overclocking can help quite a bit in P3d.  For example going from 3.8ghz to 4.5ghz on my 3930k picks me up right at 10fps, now this may not sound like much but it is huge.

Oh...yeah, I have the K.

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Eight GB

I think it uses as much as it can get its hands on.

Wellllp, I bought it today along with FSUIPC and PTA.  I've got it up and running...some shakiness in some software I need to get settled down. I have one airport (FlyTampa KTPA) and the Turbine Duke (without gear or flap sounds...why?).  I'm downloading FTX Global, Vector and regions tonight.  Still a lot of P3D4 installers to find and figure out.  I won't have my Aerosoft A320, Flight1 Mustang nor REX Essentials.  Seems like most everything else is there if I can find the installers and the methods.  There's a great deal I'm leaving behind...some things are not worth the upgrade price.  Good news is that I'd stripped back my fleet before I even started so there's much less to even consider.

Gregg

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

the Turbine Duke (without gear or flap sounds...why?).

Info on making it work here:

or Sean is working on a P3Dv4 installer:

Greg

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Info on making it work here:

or Sean is working on a P3Dv4 installer:

Greg

Thanks again, Greg.

19 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Gregg

Hello Gregg.

We have same CPU. I moved to 4.1 last week. I have all Orbx regions and Vector installed.

Running 4.1 with same graphic settings as 3.4, with dynamic lighting on, I see that I am using 3.7 GB video memory over North California. Obviously no VAS issues anymore! I can't say it's any smoother than 3.4. Unlimited frames v synch on + triple buffering.

So the only hardware I would look into would be your GPU. I think 8 Gb GPU would be about right for 4.1 and complex scenery. LM recommend 8 Gb GPU and I am beginning to see why. 

I purchased Aerosoft Zurich Professional (for 4.1 only), this uses 3.8 GB video memory, on my setup and I see my GTX 1080 EVGA card boosts itself to it's maximum speed at that airport. 

As more scenery and aircraft come out that are optimised for 64 bit, I think things will get better still!:biggrin:

Cheers!

• Upvote 1