Gregg_Seipp

How well will an i7-4790 16GB GTX-970-4GB run P3D4?

Recommended Posts

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have almost that same setup, work well for my mostly GA flying with ORBX regions and a2a Comanche. 

Share this post


Link to post

For me v4 runs much better then v3. With higher in game settings I would say I run now 40fps where I had previously 30fps. 

From my experience your pc should run p3dv4 better than v3

Share this post


Link to post

Should be fine.  LM is great about refunds if you don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, 503Kento said:

I have almost that same setup, work well for my mostly GA flying with ORBX regions and a2a Comanche. 

That's a strong review.  I turned off my regions some time ago, opting for more smoothness.  An A2A plane flying in a region is tough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

You should be fine. I have the same setup and with the same settings as I had in v3.4 Prepar3D v4 runs slightly smoother. I fly a lot of VFR with ORBX global and OpenLC NA with TerraFlora trees in an A2A Comanche or Cherokee. I run my i7-4790K at 4.6 GHz.

Share this post


Link to post

Good CPU, more than enough ram, the GPU will work fine. Down the road an upgrade in the GPU would be worth considering. 8 gig 1070 is getting pretty reasonable. 1070 or 1080 would let you do VR if you should decided to go in that direction.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

Gregg

I think you will get better performance with P3DV4.1 over P3DV3.4. I am running a I7 4770K 16gb ram and a GTX 960. I get better performance in 4.1 than I did with 3.4. I can fly my PMDG 737NGX in Orbx NCA into Flight beam's KSFO without issue. On final I will get 25FPS. I am not running a 4K monitor.

Greg

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Gregg

I think you will get better performance with P3DV4.1 over P3DV3.4. I am running a I7 4770K 16gb ram and a GTX 960. I get better performance in 4.1 than I did with 3.4. I can fly my PMDG 737NGX in Orbx NCA into Flight beam's KSFO without issue. On final I will get 25FPS. I am not running a 4K monitor.

Greg

Running any AA?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Running any AA?

FXAA on, 8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16X, textures 1024x1024 resolution 1920x1080x32.

Greg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

FXAA on, 8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16X, textures 1024x1024 resolution 1920x1080x32.

Greg

Okay.  Looks like I'll be good then.  Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Okay.  Looks like I'll be good then.  Thanks all!

Gregg, please report back after you have some experience. We share almost identical setups.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to had the same spec running FSX SE, since the switch to P3Dv4 the only upgrade I made was a new 1070 GPU.  So I say go for it but maybe upgrade your GPU when you can.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, gregmorin said:

FXAA on, 8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16X, textures 1024x1024 resolution 1920x1080x32.

Greg

I run that in game except 4x msaa with gtx 970 and 2500K at 4ghz 8 gb ram

One thing I do is turn texture resolution to 1m in Orbx areas - lose a little clarity way down low (i.e. Less than 1000 agl) but it's far less work on my CPU.  Your 4790 may be a lot better able to handle it

in P3D 4.1 my biggest issue so far is video ram (our stupid 3.5) and almost running out of physical RAM

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

in P3D 4.1 my biggest issue so far is video ram (our stupid 3.5) and almost running out of physical RAM

Ryan,

How much physical ram do you have?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now