Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador

2 hours ago, tooting said:

So if it's over 8 gig then if you only had 8 gig then you would get a CTD.??? (I'm not an IT just a bloke with 16000 hours on vatsim and a hunch with some common sense) 

No, I don't think so.  Windows has virtual memory.  Not sure, but modern versions of Windows may still have a swap file as per the old days.  Anyway, if 8 gb were the problem, we'd have a lot of people crashing in mem-intensive areas like Tokyo or London, I would think...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 minutes ago, Mace said:

I am running  Orbx OpenLC NA and Orbx Vector and did not get the crash.  Of course, that's only one data point.  And I've only run the OP's flight plan one time.

Yes as you correctly said that’s only one data point but still diminishes the probablility of those two being at fault. 

So I killed couatl.exe in task manager and started a flight with this FP EIDW-KJFK PMDG B77L all ORBX Activesky no couatl 

SUROX DCT ERNAN DCT KUGUR DCT BILTO DCT 57N020W 57N030W 57N040W 55N050W DCT MELDI N498C TAFFY DCT ENE PARCH2

8x until 5550N then 1x

flew over the canadian coast no problem, crossing ENE now for the STAR..

might just be couatl

First westbound crossing without a CTD....will test again with another FP after this flight is done, just to be sure.

i had the route saved and have crashed on same exact route

Edited by nazethc
last line
  • Upvote 1

Hmm interesting.  You know, I have couatl and never had a CTD though.  At least I think I have it -- I have installed FSDreamTeam's KMEM, which I believe installs couatl

Another thing I thought of -- was the possibility that it could be the navdata being used. ??   I am using whatever P3Dv4.1 came with, that probably being the same old 2006-era navdata from FSX days.  I wonder if the CTD people are using some newer navdata?   The HOIST waypoint, cited by the OP as a crash area, is not in the default P3D navdata...at least as far as I can tell.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2nd Flight

Closed Couatl.exe in task manager LFPG-KBOS PMDG B77W all Orbx, Activesky, no couatl

FP  EVX UT300 SENLO UN502 PIKOD N502 RATKA DCT ATSUR DCT SOMAX 5120N 5230N 5240N 5150N ALLRY N358A EBONY DCT AJJAY OOSHN5 (NAT J) 

8x to 5150N 1x rest of way

again no crash

About to hit TOD...

looks like couatl might be it....will wait to see if everyone else has same results

will try one more FP with HOIST intersection after to be absolutely sure it's not just a fluke

Edited by nazethc
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, nazethc said:

2nd Flight

Closed Couatl.exe in task manager LFPG-KBOS PMDG B77W all Orbx, Activesky, no couatl

FP  EVX UT300 SENLO UN502 PIKOD N502 RATKA DCT ATSUR DCT SOMAX 5120N 5230N 5240N 5150N ALLRY N358A EBONY DCT AJJAY OOSHN5 (NAT J) 

8x to 5150N 1x rest of way

again no crash

About to hit TOD...

looks like couatl might be it....will wait to see if everyone else has same results

will try one more FP with HOIST intersection after to be absolutely sure it's not just a fluke

If you have the time, then try flying the exact same route again but don't close couatl and see if there is a crash. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Zinnertek said:

If you have the time, then try flying the exact same route again but don't close couatl and see if there is a crash. 

Yeah that would isolate it.

8 hours ago, Mace said:

Hmm interesting.  You know, I have couatl and never had a CTD though.  At least I think I have it -- I have installed FSDreamTeam's KMEM, which I believe installs couatl

Another thing I thought of -- was the possibility that it could be the navdata being used. ??   I am using whatever P3Dv4.1 came with, that probably being the same old 2006-era navdata from FSX days.  I wonder if the CTD people are using some newer navdata?   The HOIST waypoint, cited by the OP as a crash area, is not in the default P3D navdata...at least as far as I can tell.

This is the only remaining possiblity alongside couatl. We really need to know if anyone’s experienced this crash without updated navaids...

8 hours ago, Mace said:

OP here :) At that time, now long time ago was HOIST intersection where I got CTD. Don't have time to fly long haul that much. But i do follow the topic. I don't think I ever updated default navaids in P3Dv4. I do however update AIRAC database (PMDG, TOPCAT, PFPX, Majestic Q400, FsLabs, ActiveSky...) on monthly basis. But that database has nothing to do with P3D navaids.

CTD around HOIST intersection was one of the many i have experienced crossing the pond. Before x64 i would usually oom reaching eastern NA. I am not saying I got CTD on every transatlantic westbound crossing, but it happens, most often than not in the same geographical area.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

13 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

OP here :) At that time, now long time ago was HOIST intersection where I got CTD. Don't have time to fly long haul that much. But i do follow the topic. I don't think I ever updated default navaids in P3Dv4. I do however update AIRAC database (PMDG, TOPCAT, PFPX, Majestic Q400, FsLabs, ActiveSky...) on monthly basis. But that database has nothing to do with P3D navaids.

CTD around HOIST intersection was one of the many i have experienced crossing the pond. Before x64 i would usually oom reaching eastern NA. I am not saying I got CTD on every transatlantic westbound crossing, but it happens, most often than not in the same geographical area.

Do you remember if you had GSX or any other FSDreamTeam product involving couatl installed? 

2 hours ago, Bardia said:

This is the only remaining possiblity alongside couatl. We really need to know if anyone’s experienced this crash without updated navaids...

Yep, I do.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

1 hour ago, Bardia said:

Do you remember if you had GSX or any other FSDreamTeam product involving couatl installed? 

Of course, I have almost every FSDT in airport and GSX. 

If I recall correctly, when Fslabs Airbus is installed, instalation asks for updating magnetic variations and possibly navaids. I don't remember. But, crashes did happen way before we had Fslabs Airbus. 

Edited by Johnny19

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Guys stupid as it sounds GSX is turning out to be the only common factor between us all, though not quite sure about the mechanism through which it crashes the sim.

Umberto from FSDT and I had a conversation about this CTD and GSX back in November. My red font of his response is what I believe is happening. Here was his response:

Even if the crash can be reproduced and "fixed" by not using GSX, but that's not because GSX is the cause of the problem or there's anything we can fix. Yes, I agree there's something which might be related to the usage of the Simconnect menu. I'm calling it "Simconnect menu", in order to clarify what it is. It's NOT the "GSX menu". That menu is handled entirely by the sim, and Simconnect apps don't have *any* control over it. And, there IS something strange with that menu, which happens only with some 3rd party airplanes, and is that it gets resized automatically in a strange way ONLY after loading one of such airplanes. We don't know what is causing this, and why it happens when loading some planes and not when loading other planes. Again, we don't have any control over its appearance, placement, size, etc, from GSX. It's done entirely by the sim.

So, if someone noticed some that problem in conjunction with using GSX, it's might simply caused by the fact that, it's the MENU itself which is leaking, or that doing what whatever it is those 3rd party airplanes are doing which cause the menu to be resized when they load, might have been triggering some kind of bug in P3D, which will happen ONLY after a long flight and only after having ANY application that opened that menu.

Since the Simconnect menu it's an internal system of the sim, it can surely crash it. GSX, running entirely external to it, under the Couatl interpreter, cannot cause such CTD, especially something that seems to be happening out of the blue, without even interacting with it, which seems to be a memory leakage problem.

It's possible the fact that restarting Couatl would fix the problem, because when a Simconnect client disconnects and reconnects, the sim might do some internal cleanup of the resources related to the menu too. It would be interesting to do the same test with another Simconnect app that use the menu, like SODE for example.

What I really cannot explain, instead, is the supposedly geographical relationship to the crash, as if this leakage was also related in some way with the scenery. Possibly, in order to crash, the two issues must happen together, so it would be helpful to know which scenery is installed, or if it happens even with the default scenery only.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

39 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Umberto from FSDT and I had a conversation about this CTD and GSX back in November. My red font of his response is what I believe is happening. Here was his response:

Even if the crash can be reproduced and "fixed" by not using GSX, but that's not because GSX is the cause of the problem or there's anything we can fix. Yes, I agree there's something which might be related to the usage of the Simconnect menu. I'm calling it "Simconnect menu", in order to clarify what it is. It's NOT the "GSX menu". That menu is handled entirely by the sim, and Simconnect apps don't have *any* control over it. And, there IS something strange with that menu, which happens only with some 3rd party airplanes, and is that it gets resized automatically in a strange way ONLY after loading one of such airplanes. We don't know what is causing this, and why it happens when loading some planes and not when loading other planes. Again, we don't have any control over its appearance, placement, size, etc, from GSX. It's done entirely by the sim.

So, if someone noticed some that problem in conjunction with using GSX, it's might simply caused by the fact that, it's the MENU itself which is leaking, or that doing what whatever it is those 3rd party airplanes are doing which cause the menu to be resized when they load, might have been triggering some kind of bug in P3D, which will happen ONLY after a long flight and only after having ANY application that opened that menu.

Since the Simconnect menu it's an internal system of the sim, it can surely crash it. GSX, running entirely external to it, under the Couatl interpreter, cannot cause such CTD, especially something that seems to be happening out of the blue, without even interacting with it, which seems to be a memory leakage problem.

It's possible the fact that restarting Couatl would fix the problem, because when a Simconnect client disconnects and reconnects, the sim might do some internal cleanup of the resources related to the menu too. It would be interesting to do the same test with another Simconnect app that use the menu, like SODE for example.

What I really cannot explain, instead, is the supposedly geographical relationship to the crash, as if this leakage was also related in some way with the scenery. Possibly, in order to crash, the two issues must happen together, so it would be helpful to know which scenery is installed, or if it happens even with the default scenery only.

Wow. 

You will now start to see buck passing.. You watch 

14ppkc-6.png