Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador

An extremely fascinating theory.  Perhaps confirmation bias, but I do recall the one or two instances I hadn't had a CTD was when Couatl crashed (usually while using GSX at the gate) and I chose not to restart it.

I'll have to try that out, too.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I'm curious, but has anyone that experienced this CTD had it happen while running at normal sim rate or no time compression?  The common denominator I have seen so far, including my own experience, it is occurred while running faster than 1x sim rate. 

Alan

27 minutes ago, exeodus said:

I'm curious, but has anyone that experienced this CTD had it happen while running at normal sim rate or no time compression?  The common denominator I have seen so far, including my own experience, it is occurred while running faster than 1x sim rate. 

Yes.

Ok -- so I'm doing this FRA - IAD flight right now using the OP's flight plan and the PMDG 777 with UTLive and ASP4 + ASCA going.  I do use a PTA also.   The OP said his crash was before HOIST waypoint -- well, I've already passed HOIST and no problems.  I dropped the sim down to 1x time compression about 150 nm before HOIST, and ran at 1x all the way inland to Goose Bay (that's where I am now).

The entire time I've been monitoring a couple of things...system memory, via Task Manager, has remained fairly steady at around 9 GB.  (People who have had the CTD -- do they all have 8 gb of system memory?)

Monitoring vid card memory usage, too -- been pretty steady at around 3 GB - 3.3 GB.

I haven't seen any mem use spiking, or anything else that would make me worry about the stability of the sim.  Passing over YYR / Goose Bay right now.  I may have a rough ride into IAD -- a big storm is exiting to the northeast -- turb is reported north and west of IAD.  At least the snow will be to my east.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Completed the flight.  No crash.  Mem usage did pass 10 gb near IAD.  Around the CTD area (HOIST) mem usage was at about 8 GB.   Surely there is something in common with the crashers vs. non-crashers.

Rhett

Departed LHR for ORD using my route above, killed Couatl.exe from my processes, used 4x time compression in the PMDG 777, and was able to complete with flight without a CTD.

Will refly the route at 1x and a few more times with 4x (with and without Couatl.exe) for reproducibility.

• Upvote 1

Awesome guys, I feel like we’re getting somewhere in nailing this down

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

8 hours ago, Mace said:

Completed the flight.  No crash.  Mem usage did pass 10 gb near IAD.  Around the CTD area (HOIST) mem usage was at about 8 GB.   Surely there is something in common with the crashers vs. non-crashers.

So if it's over 8 gig then if you only had 8 gig then you would get a CTD.??? (I'm not an IT just a bloke with 16000 hours on vatsim and a hunch with some common sense) 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

11 hours ago, exeodus said:

All my CTDs have been at 1x.

10 hours ago, Mace said:

(People who have had the CTD -- do they all have 8 gb of system memory?)

16gb here. Maybe that's not even enough these days? 

I’m glad the discussion surrounding this issue is picking up again. 

Just trying to summarise stuff that contributors to this thread (including myself) have anecdotally discounted as the potential cause of this CTD:

-16gb of RAM here and experienced CTD, so most probably not a memory issue (at least not shortage of it).

-I only use PSXSeecontraffic for AI so it can’t possibly be a schedule-based AI program such as UTLive injecting faulty traffic around that specific location and causing the crash.

-Time compression 

-Type of add-on aircraft 

-Hardware stress or bad OC 

-Time zone transition glitch (Though not quite sure why Tooting said a page or two earlier this can’t be the culprit, can you please elaborate?) 

-Active Sky and ASCA 

-PTA 

Now the ones I had installed when experiencing the crash and still not fully eliminated: (Hence if you do get the CTD and you don’t have any one of these installed please come forward.)

-OpenLC NA 

-GSX 

-Global AI Ship Traffic 

-TerraFlora 

-P3D Navaids database (not that of your add-on aircraft) updated through different means, but for your information, mine done freely off of this website: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

The list is not exhaustive. 

Just a quick point, the fact that you have a particular add-on running or installed and you don’t get this CTD doesn’t mean that add-on is eliminated as CTDs are intrinsically erratic in their behaviour. But if you do get this CTD and you don’t have a particular add-on, it would obviously mean that specific add-on is out of the question.

Cheers

Edited by Bardia

15 minutes ago, Bardia said:

-AI Ship Traffic 

-TerraFlora 

I don't use these.

I'll try to make a list of what I have installed this weekend. Hopefully Friday night.

Edited by Chaos81

I've had this issue as well.  All have been westbound I believe at various sim rates (between 1-4x).  The only longhaul plane I own is the PMDG 777.  It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened several times mostly from CDG and LHR.  I also have another CTD issue approaching Hawaii but that's for another thread.  I'll be watching closely to see if someone figures it out and I'll try to throw my $.02 in as I do those flights.

My addons include MT6 (haven't tested with it off yet), AI ship traffic (have got the CTD both with and without), REX, ORBX vector, base, LC NA and Europe, AS, and a bunch that run on couatl.  

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

2 minutes ago, Chaos81 said:

I don't use these.

I'll try to make a list of what I have installed this weekend. Hopefully Friday night.

Thank you. This tentatively leaves us with: 

-OpenLC NA 

-GSX 

-P3D Navaids update 

3 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I've had this issue as well.  All have been westbound I believe at various sim rates (between 1-4x).  The only longhaul plane I own is the PMDG 777.  It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened several times mostly from CDG and LHR.  I also have another CTD issue approaching Hawaii but that's for another thread.  I'll be watching closely to see if someone figures it out and I'll try to throw my $.02 in as I do those flights.

My addons include MT6 (haven't tested with it off yet), AI ship traffic (have got the CTD both with and without), REX, ORBX vector, base, LC NA and Europe, AS, and a bunch that run on couatl.  

I guess it can’t be a generic texture replacement add-on like REX or FTX Base causing this otherwise the issue wouldn’t be limited to one single location. But Vector is a good candidate as it brings about non-generic location-specific changes. Anyone getting the CTD without ORBX Vector? 

17 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Thank you. This tentatively leaves us with: 

-OpenLC NA 

I am running  Orbx OpenLC NA and Orbx Vector and did not get the crash.  Of course, that's only one data point.  And I've only run the OP's flight plan one time.

Edited by Mace

Rhett