Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador

Whenever I have a problem in any of my sims I usually can find others who have experienced the same problem here on avsim, low and behold, that what brings me here. Yesterday evening I was doing a flight from London Heathrow to Boston. Everything was going to plan across the pond until about the point at which I was suspecting to see landfall on the horizon at any time, just off the coast of Newfoundland/Labrador. ntdll.dll crash.

P3Dv4.2 - Windows 10 - i7 6700K not overclocked - GTX 1080 not overclocked

PMDG 777 - Aerosoft Heathrow Professional - FlyTampa Boston - ORBX Global, Vector, OpenLC NA and EU - Turbulent Designs TerraFlora

Active Sky + ASCA + ENVTEX + ENVSHADE - Navigraph Charts running Simlink on an Android Tablet - MyTrafficX - AI Ship Traffic - GSX.

I would like to add as other people have, I did have PMDG's auto time accelleration activated at 8x at the time of the crash. I did use GSX at Heathrow to operate the jetway and pushback but did not restart couatl as some have mentioned to try (as I have just read through this entire thread). I also had GPU-Z running and my GPU load was only around 30-40% so no real signs of strain on my hardware.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

14 hours ago, tooting said:

Are you using the 777 Daniel? 

Yes, I got the CTD with the PMDG 777.  I also got it with the iFly 747.

- Daniel

Edited by Daniel Baker

I'd like to add -- I am using nVidia driver v388.71 with a 1080Ti.  I'll be trying the flight with the PMDG 777 next, using one of the routings posted in this thread.  I'm really curious to see if I can replicate the crash some of you are seeing.  I may keep Filemon open during the flight, that might shed some light...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, Mace said:

I'd like to add -- I am using nVidia driver v388.71 with a 1080Ti.  I'll be trying the flight with the PMDG 777 next, using one of the routings posted in this thread.  I'm really curious to see if I can replicate the crash some of you are seeing.  I may keep Filemon open during the flight, that might shed some light...

Please do I'd love to get to the bottom of the this just to shut up the IT experts that for 3 years I've been banging on about this but they disregard it with their narrow minded logic.  There's is definitely an issue with this neck of the woods. 

Edited by tooting
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

On 3/5/2018 at 1:34 AM, Mace said:

I run ORBX FTX Global, Vector, LC NA, LC Europe; PTA; ASP4 + ASCA; Flightbeam KDEN, FSDT KMEM, PMDG 777, JF/CLS DC10.

You should upgrade your sim with a good AI program like MyTrafficX or UTLive!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

UtLive is not good Jim it's an average and still a beta standard product and unfinished with a mountain of bugs.  But back to topic 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

I hope I was not off topic.  I, of course, have all of the AI programs and only made my recommendation about an AI program as the person didn't mention owning an AI program and I think it is important to know this fact in this topic as I once had a similar CTD with MyTrafficX with a route between Chicago and St Louis.  Sim was always freezing at the exact same spot with the PMDG 737.  I ran Process Monitor during the flight and saw that MyTrafficX was loading AI at the time of each freeze/CTD.  Disabled and no more crashes.  Think this issue between Chicago and St Louis was fixed in a subsequent update but heard it was an AI missing a flight plan or a flight plan missing an AI.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Don't use an AI program, still get this ntdll.dll CTD. Convinced it is some sort of memory management corruption error. 

Eric 

9 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Don't use an AI program, still get this ntdll.dll CTD. Convinced it is some sort of memory management corruption error. 

I absolutely agree with you now that time zones have been eliminated out of the equation.  

I've found on my new rig which has 16 Gig of ram I don't get the CTD.  But with my old one with 8 gig I did. Surely that can't be the issue?? 

I'm flying now right over newfoundland and it didn't CTD. 

I find the CTD used to happen when you where about to hit landfall.  Maybe thats where it CTDs when it loads up terrain, autogen etc. 

When the dirty drivers where playing havok in 3.3 this area was notorious for draining vas. 

But there is definitely an issue somewhere no matter what the IT programmers say to wriggle out of it. 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

6 minutes ago, tooting said:

I absolutely agree with you now that time zones have been eliminated out of the equation.  

I've found on my new rig which has 16 Gig of ram I don't get the CTD.  But with my old one with 8 gig I did. Surely that can't be the issue?? 

I'm flying now right over newfoundland and it didn't CTD. 

I find the CTD used to happen when you where about to hit landfall.  Maybe thats where it CTDs when it loads up terrain, autogen etc. 

When the dirty drivers where playing havok in 3.3 this area was notorious for draining vas. 

But there is definitely an issue somewhere no matter what the IT programmers say to wriggle out of it. 

I have 64 gig of physical ram. I haven't had the CTD in a while but I also restart coualt after pushback with GSX. Dont think amount of ram is issue. I think for some reason P3D goes to load something, doesn't find it and then it CTD, hence a memory corruption error which if researched is one of the main reasons of a ntdll.dll error. 

Eric 

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I run UTLive.  I may have forgotten to list it.  Anyway, I've never had a crash near Labrador, or anywhere else.  I'm just going to replicate the OP's flight plan with the 777 soon.  

I have never heard of injection-style AI (UTLive style) crashing the sim.  But I used to compile my own traffic bgl's, and as i recall (it's been about 10 years), if you had a bad AI flight plan, it would indeed crash the sim.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

1 hour ago, tooting said:

You may be on to something.

My new machine has 32 gb of mem, and I haven't gotten the CTD.  My old machine had 8 gb but I only ran FSX.  I will monitor mem usage if and when I can do that flight.   One of you will probably beat me to it, I'll be working a lot this week.

Rhett

Interesting, I too have upgraded to 16gb from 8..I’ll have to give it a try

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have been having this issue since P3D v3 too! The CTD always happens on a westbound flight from Europe towards America and around the area of reaching Canada. I have 16Gb of RAM and I use the PMDG auto time-acceleration feature. I don't use AI traffic. 

The most likely culprit for me has been FSDT couatl engine. If I ever try suggesting this as an error on their forums, I just expect a rude reply saying how it could never ever be their product. I have had some success by using task manager to close couatl.exe after I depart, and that tends to work. I haven't flown the route in a while so I'm not sure. 

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

I have 64 gig of physical ram. I haven't had the CTD in a while but I also restart coualt after pushback with GSX. Dont think amount of ram is issue. I think for some reason P3D goes to load something, doesn't find it and then it CTD, hence a memory corruption error which if researched is one of the main reasons of a ntdll.dll error. 

Next time you fly the Europe-America route, try not restarting GSX after pushback and see if the CTD returns. Cheers

I haven't tried removing coualt completely, but I've had the CTD without using GSX.