Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador

I think we also need to consider that whilst couatl.exe is an external process, it is closely linked and communicates with P3D via bglmanx64.dll and SimConnect, therefore can play a role in crashing the simulator.

I'm trying a transatlantic flight now, rather than killing couatl.exe I'm trying the restart method suggested by "B777ER". 

I think the key is restarting couatl.exe after you have your engines running or even after takeoff

Will report back later.

2 hours ago, Zinnertek said:

I think we also need to consider that whilst couatl.exe is an external process, it is closely linked and communicates with P3D via bglmanx64.dll and SimConnect, therefore can play a role in crashing the simulator.

I'm trying a transatlantic flight now, rather than killing couatl.exe I'm trying the restart method suggested by "B777ER". 

I think the key is restarting couatl.exe after you have your engines running or even after takeoff

Will report back later.

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Unrelated to the location of topic here, but my AppCrashView reveals five crashes beginning 3/11/2018 while flying daily in a variety of PMDG aircraft in locations all over the Pacific Rim with bglmanx64.dll the faulting module. This module is related to couatl.exe in that when you get couatl you also get the addon manager which is bglmanx.  This started after running the Couatl updater, which has not been a problem for  a year and now it seems to be again.  Ran the updater again and will run a few sessions to see if there is a change.

10 hours ago, Bryn said:

This is a classic bug, which I thought went back to the early days of FSX (tbh, my immediate recollection was this went all they way back to FS9, but I'm probably wrong). Flights from Europe to the Midwest and west coast are always a gamble.

I think Andrew's post on 11 March is the best piece of evidence so far (the map showing the crashes along the FIR boundary). I think the cause could be: the unusually complex and vast set of small lake and oceanic coastlines in this part of the world; a bug in how bvcf.bgl is read - or maybe a bug in the boundaries (how does P3D/FSX handle an undefined region with no FIR assigned - say an unintended sliver of airspace between two regions?); or an unanticipated conflict between bvcf.bgl and another bgl file.

bvcf.bgl is the bgl with all of the FIRs and frequencies.

I'm not convinced that couatl.exe - an idling external process - is responsible for the crash. A bit of confirmation bias there, I reckon.

Bryn.

Further proof we’re not a deluded bunch suffering from confirmation bias. 

2 hours ago, Zinnertek said:

Will report back later.

Why not take no risks and kill it altogther? What’s the point in having ground services running 30000 feet above ground anyway. 

FWIW:

Just completed LIRF - KJFK with no problems

Sim x2

PMDG 777-200LR

AS16 P3D v4

Restarted COUATL after engine start.

- Daniel

Because like I've theorized, restarting as opposed to killing it, in my belief resets something internally (no clue what) that, for me, no longer produces a CTD. Killing it does not allow whatever that internal reset to happen. Just.my theory.

Eric 

10 minutes ago, Daniel Baker said:

FWIW:

Just completed LIRF - KJFK with no problems

Sim x2

PMDG 777-200LR

AS16 P3D v4

Restarted COUATL after engine start.

- Daniel

What was your exact route?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

Because like I've theorized, restarting as opposed to killing it, in my belief resets something internally (no clue what) that, for me, no longer produces a CTD. Killing it does not allow whatever that internal reset to happen. Just.my theory.

Well then if there’s something internal to couatl that gets messed up causing the CTD, killing it should theoretically make absolute sure the CTD doesn’t happen. It’s just too complex, no single theory fits the evidence provided here so far...

16 pages, not one person from LM getting involved.  Speaks volumes. 

14ppkc-6.png

18 hours ago, Bardia said:

Why not take no risks and kill it altogther? What’s the point in having ground services running 30000 feet above ground anyway. 

It's merely a test... if someone wants to fly from Europe to an FSDT airport then couatl.exe needs to be running by the time they arrive for the airport scenery to load.

6 hours ago, tooting said:

16 pages, not one person from LM getting involved.  Speaks volumes. 

They have their own forums, genius.  And they answer on there.  

But they won't answer if the crash is from a 3rd party addon. 

Edited by jason99vmi

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

1 hour ago, jason99vmi said:

They have their own forums, genius.  And they answer on there.  

But they won't answer if the crash is from a 3rd party addon. 

Oh I see, they ‘answer’ on there, I mean clear the shaders and delete generated files, or even better reinstall the sim. We all know what the LM ‘answer’ is genius that’s why nobody cares about the ‘answer’ any longer. And please don’t hesitate to bog off this thread if all you can input is derision and ridicule. 

13 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Oh I see, they ‘answer’ on there, I mean clear the shaders and delete generated files, or even better reinstall the sim. We all know what the LM ‘answer’ is genius that’s why nobody cares about the ‘answer’ any longer. And please don’t hesitate to bog off this thread if all you can input is derision and ridicule. 

Build a case and they will listen, and it appears to me that there are many participating here trying to do just that..... no need to throw mud at LM. It simply reveals something about you.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, Bardia said:

because exactly what Dan said and I have said this before as well if you can't prove its the sim then don't spend time [REMOVED]  on the dev when its not their fault.  

I've said before to remove all addons and i mean all addons.  Basic sim and if it doesn't crash then its an addon.  then you put addons back in one at a time until it crashes again.  And yet the reply i got was "no one has time  for that".  Well if thats the reply don't spend time blaming the dev for an issue you can't pinpoint or not willing to.  

Especially when above posts claim this might be a coautl issue.  Which yes coautl can cause crashes.  

I was experiencing hanging sim crash for a few days but i didn't come on here and tell LM they are trash and terrible devs.  I fixed it by running down the last addons i updated or installed.  And turned out it was the SODE update.  

AVSIM admins will tell you to do the same thing and they have been doing this longer than most of us.

[REMOVED]

Edited by Poppet
Removed profanity from post. Keep it clean

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

It would of been good if they had said something  like

"Rob has contacted Umberto to help work with him to solve the issue"

Wouldnt that be a breath of fresh air.  Two people working TOGETHER to solve the problem. 

Remember this Is the year for the simmer and all that. 

Any ways back to topic lads you're doing sterling work let's not turn into a slanging match 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

8 hours ago, jason99vmi said:

because exactly what Dan said and I have said this before as well if you can't prove its the sim then don't spend time shitting on the dev when its not their fault.  

I've said before to remove all addons and i mean all addons.  Basic sim and if it doesn't crash then its an addon.  then you put addons back in one at a time until it crashes again.  And yet the reply i got was "no one has time  for that".  Well if thats the reply don't spend time blaming the dev for an issue you can't pinpoint or not willing to.  

Especially when above posts claim this might be a coautl issue.  Which yes coautl can cause crashes.  

I was experiencing hanging sim crash for a few days but i didn't come on here and tell LM they are trash and terrible devs.  I fixed it by running down the last addons i updated or installed.  And turned out it was the SODE update.  

AVSIM admins will tell you to do the same thing and they have been doing this longer than most of us.

If you hate LM so much then "bog off" to XP11.  

Have you for once read through the pages on this thread? I’ve been unequivocally in favour of the couatl thoery all along and now you accuse me of blaming the dev? I said the dev would reply in a certain way to basically every complaint no matter what, and I did NOT say this particular crash is in any way LM’s fault. I’m really compelled to assume I’m up against some [REMOVED]  but please have another go show us you don’t jarringly lack [REMOVED]

Edited by Poppet
Removed Insulting remarks