Ourgas2

What graphic card specs needed for a 4K monitor?

Hi all,

I am planning to go for a 4K monitor.

What graphic card specs are esential in order to have a good monitor display?

Thanks,

Christos

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Some will say at least a GTX 1080, but I have a MSI GTX1070 Gaming X that is more than good enough for me.

I only have an ASUS GTX660TI and it works great with my LG49" 4K monitor. Obviously I do not have all the sliders to the full right, but still have between 15 and 30 fpm at 4096x2160 and decent quality of plaes and sceneries.

Obviously I prefer to install a NVIDIA GTX1080TI, but the current prices are totally insane. Manufactureres of the graphic boards installed with Nvidia chips to my opinion misuse the current market conditions. In addition there is NO competition as all suppliers only offer at premium price levels.

For 4k a 1080ti works best! I wouldn't get anything less than a 1070. I run 4k and in P3D v3 I had a 1060 and it worked fine but as soon as I moved to V4 it had a hard time performance wise and I had to turn things down. I went and got a 1080ti and my performance is the best its ever been. If you want to use the Texture_Size_Exp tweak ( I highly recommend) you will need it. Josh

1070 was fine for me with 4K..... until FSLABS adopted dynamic Lighting!!!!! That requires a 1080Ti and more....

No one is giving any real information in this thread except super vague and super subjective one liners.

First off, what performance are your expecting? Also, with said performance, what are your intended graphics settings?

I had a 970 on 4k at one point and it performed quite well....until I through any type of weather in the mix.  I mean seriously any thing other than a normal fair weather day. I had to turn down a lot of my graphic settings to get anything higher than 25fps. I had to turn ever option down to mid settings and turn ASN cloud layers down to 1 layer. I took a huge graphical hit. 

If you want a solid experience with the same settings you currently run in 1080p, you most likely will need a 1070 at a MINIMUM. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that holds you back a little bit. 

I currently have a 1080ti. When I first dropped thst into my rig, I had it paired with a 2700k and using p3d v3. It was after this install that I could bump up my settings again to what they were at 1080p.

On p3d v4 with a 8700k OCed, dynamic lighting still brings me down into mid 20s at some airports. However, as long as I keep the draw rang on ASv4 down to 90sm with 5 layers, I have great performance with all sliders to the right and shadow draw to the max....including terrain shadows.

I use fxaa and 4xmsaa anti aliasing. 

I also use the live traffic from pxseecon traffic guy.

2 hours ago, Ourgas2 said:

What is the Texture_Size_Exp tweak?

Increases landclass texture resolution to 1024 which makes terrain in the distance seem much more realistic to view perspective.  It will do nothing for photoreal scenery, only landclass (i.e. Orbx FTX Global and Regions will work very well, but unfortunately PR scenery no change).  I did inquire with LM why PR was not changed by this setting and they seemed to believe it was a limitation on how the source PR scenery was created ... personally I'm not so sure that's issue with PR.  So if you fly PR exclusively, this setting will not be of any benefit.

[Terrain]

HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Values 9 or 10 require HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1

Value of 10 requires a GPU with more than 8GB VRAM (I've used upto 11.2GB VRAM in some situations).  Other than VRAM usage, I haven't notice any FPS differences on my systems.

Cheers, Rob.

13 hours ago, Ourgas2 said:

What graphic card specs are esential in order to have a good monitor display?

For a 4K monitor I'd make sure it supports 30Hz as well as it supports 60Hz (these are usually TV's based on HDMI 2.0x connections).  All simulators run 8bit per color channel so a 10bit or 12bit per color channel monitor is not critical unless you watch 10/12bit 4K UHD movies.  Assuming your expectations are for the best, then I'd recommend a 1080Ti.  If you plan to do additional shadow quality tweaks (beyond the texture size tweaks) then I'd suggest a TitanXP (as you'll need that extra 1GB VRAM).

If you like Dynamic Lights then the 1080Ti and TitanXP performed considerably better than my 1080 and 970.  Definitely NOT suggesting these are the only options, this is just my experience with what I have used.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry for being vague. I am trying to post links to my settings.

This is giving me a rather solid 30fps on a 4K display with a 980ti. Hope that helps.

PS: That's for photo scenery, no autogen needed. 

I know it's slightly off-topic but I can never see why anyone would have lens flare selected in a flight sim. Quite apart from the small performance hit it gives, you don't see the effect as a real-world pilot - it's only visible through a camera lens so it's not realistic (unless you're watching a video taken from inside a cockpit, of course).

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2018 at 6:12 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

For a 4K monitor I'd make sure it supports 30Hz as well as it supports 60Hz (these are usually TV's based on HDMI 2.0x connections).  All simulators run 8bit per color channel so a 10bit or 12bit per color channel monitor is not critical unless you watch 10/12bit 4K UHD movies.  Assuming your expectations are for the best, then I'd recommend a 1080Ti.  If you plan to do additional shadow quality tweaks (beyond the texture size tweaks) then I'd suggest a TitanXP (as you'll need that extra 1GB VRAM).

If you like Dynamic Lights then the 1080Ti and TitanXP performed considerably better than my 1080 and 970.  Definitely NOT suggesting these are the only options, this is just my experience with what I have used.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

I have a 1080Ti (8700K new build) and want to get a 4K TV for P3D v4.  Not sure of size yet but say 46 to 51" range.  What I don't understand are the potential pitfalls....if any. I know the 4K TV allows you to use lower AA settings (or maybe turn them off, not sure?).  Does it impact performance of the sim?

What is the reason for 30Hz and 60Hz....right now I run unlimited framerates, can you still do that with a 4K TV and get good performance?

sorry lots of questions but I really don't understand this part of the hardware and want to go in with my eyes open.  thanks.!

On 1/10/2018 at 7:42 AM, vortex681 said:

I know it's slightly off-topic but I can never see why anyone would have lens flare selected in a flight sim. Quite apart from the small performance hit it gives, you don't see the effect as a real-world pilot - it's only visible through a camera lens so it's not realistic (unless you're watching a video taken from inside a cockpit, of course).

You’re not alone. It’s more often a sign of poor photographic technique and/or lenses. Either way, nothing to be proud of.  And yes, it’s not visible to the eye.

Returning to the regularly scheduled programming...

Greg

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

lots of questions but I really don't understand this part of the hardware

Good questions and lots to consider. If you get too small of a 4k screen the menus and text will be small and harder to read. I have read that windows 10 (which you must be using with the 8700k) has a scaling function that allows you to enlarge text but I don't know if it entirely mitigates the problem and does not introduce other problems. Someone with Windows 10 will have to chime in on this.

I would suggest putting some 4k cockpit screenshots on a flash drive, taking them to a TV store, and look at the pictures on different size screens. A larger screen will allow you to place the screen further from you. You have to determine what that optimum distance for you is based on your personal preference and desk/room size. For us old farts a large screen further away allows us to push that screen far enough away that we can fly without our reading glasses and still see the gauges clearly. :biggrin: Remember that when you sim with a large monitor most of the screen is in your peripheral vision and you are only focused on a small portion at any one time. Like in a real plane. The intent is not to be able to look at the entire screen at once as when watching a movie. The main advantage to me of a large 4k screen is it increases my field of view and dramatically reduces the amount of panning I need to do both vertically and horizontally. I no longer had a need for Track IR after I got my 4k monitor. That being said, that is my preference, others may want a 4k screen to increase the resolution to get as crisp an image as possible. In that case you would get a smaller screen. I am mentioning all this to keep in your mind when you go to the TV store and compare images on a 34" 4k screen and a 65" 4k screen. That is where the personal preference on screen size comes in.

A 4k screen does not seem to require as much AA for a nice image quality. I don't understand why this is because the pixel density of my 55" 4k TV is the same a my previous smaller monitor. Regardless, lower AA settings improves performance, however the 4k image itself zaps some performance so you win some, lose some. I went from a 19" single monitor to 3 19" triple monitors, then to the 4k TV. The pixel density remained the same but lower AA settings were acceptable on the 4k TV. Maybe because I didn't have my reading glasses on!:laugh:

Going from a single monitor to a triple monitor setup I had about a 20% FPS loss. Doubling the pixels from the triple monitors to the 4k did not impact my fps. The impact on my GPU usage was 50% going to triple monitors and another 20% going to 4k. This all varied depending on the addons used. The more complex the addons the less the impact from the change in monitors, but the complex addons themselves versus default or simple addons had an initial performance impact.

30hz vs. 60hz. You can get away with running unlimited frames with 1080p monitor. When you add a 4k monitor and high graphics settings you may peg that GPU at 100% with unlimited FPS settings and then your fps will start to suffer. See paragraph above. Having a 30 hz capable monitor allows you to vsync your sim to your monitor at 30 fps. Your monitor will then control your FPS to a reasonable 30 FPS. The benefit of this is it drastically reduces the load on your GPU and allows you to increase your graphics settings. I only have a 3gb 780GTX and I fly around in 4k this way at 30 hz, I would have to reduce all my settings a lot to be able to fly around at 60 hz. Vsyncing your sim to the monitor refresh rate is similar to what we used to to in FSX with the 1/2 rate refresh in Nvidia inspector. The higher the FPS the more data you are feeding to your GPU to process. If you flood the GPU you need to lower the graphics settings to keep it from choking, if you fly with lower FPS you can turn up graphic settings and enjoy the wavy grass. At least that has been my experience. With your 1080ti you have a lot more capacity and resources to run higher graphic settings than I do with my old 780 GTX. 

Hope this provides more answers than confusion.

Ted

• Upvote 1

Ted, thank you so much for the detailed information.  All makes sense now.  I actually just purchased a 65" 4K tv for my house so I can load the images from the stick on it to see what its all about.  The more I think about it I am thinking 50 or 55" is the way to go.

On the question of 30Hz and 60 Hz operation, I'll add based on my experience in 4K that 60Hz is great if you use Track IR as it makes gor very smooth panning IF the scenario you're running allows your sim to maintain at least 60Hz FPS. (I can generally maintain 60 Hz in fair weather with a lighter aircraft away from more congested cities/airports).

For some reason, setting vsync on and switching my monitor to 30Hz is more efficient (lower CPU load on the primary thread) than locking FPS at 30 Hz and results in noticeably smoother scenery  motion. So for heavier aircraft and scenery settings, i get the best experience by leaving frames unlimited and locking at 30Hz with vsync and monitor at 30Hz. Note that this for P3D. In the old FSX days, this could be achieved with a 60hz monitor using 1/2 refresh vsync in NI (in full screen of course). 

So to summarize, I leave frames unlimited,  vsync on and switch my monitor refresh rate between 30 and 60Hz using Nvidia control panel (which i can do on the fly) based on the scenario I'm simming. 

8 hours ago, odourboy said:

On the question of 30Hz and 60 Hz operation, I'll add based on my experience in 4K that 60Hz is great if you use Track IR as it makes gor very smooth panning IF the scenario you're running allows your sim to maintain at least 60Hz FPS. (I can generally maintain 60 Hz in fair weather with a lighter aircraft away from more congested cities/airports).

For some reason, setting vsync on and switching my monitor to 30Hz is more efficient (lower CPU load on the primary thread) than locking FPS at 30 Hz and results in noticeably smoother scenery  motion. So for heavier aircraft and scenery settings, i get the best experience by leaving frames unlimited and locking at 30Hz with vsync and monitor at 30Hz. Note that this for P3D. In the old FSX days, this could be achieved with a 60hz monitor using 1/2 refresh vsync in NI (in full screen of course). 

So to summarize, I leave frames unlimited,  vsync on and switch my monitor refresh rate between 30 and 60Hz using Nvidia control panel (which i can do on the fly) based on the scenario I'm simming. 

How can you determine if the 4K tv supports 30hz?  When I look at these Tv's online they mostly say 60hz and even in the detailed specs make no reference to 30. 

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

How can you determine if the 4K tv supports 30hz?  When I look at these Tv's online they mostly say 60hz and even in the detailed specs make no reference to 30. 

Gosh. I'm not sure. I got lucky because I was still on FSX when I bought my monitor and didn't need 30 Hz. If it's not in the specs, ask here?

On 1/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, odourboy said:

Gosh. I'm not sure. I got lucky because I was still on FSX when I bought my monitor and didn't need 30 Hz. If it's not in the specs, ask here?

Well here is another question, if you buy a 60Hz 4K TV, can you run it at 30 using some Nvidia 1/2 refresh rate trick?

All tech guys and those from YouTube say you need an 1080 or 1080TI. I wish they made an 4K screen that can able to run on more cards rather then spending $800 on a new card before spending an $1k 4k moniter

Sucks, since I'm using an 680 card

41 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Well here is another question, if you buy a 60Hz 4K TV, can you run it at 30 using some Nvidia 1/2 refresh rate trick?

Not for P3D. It's not true full screen so the 1/2 refresh rate setting doesn't work. (Works fine for FSX or XPlane though.)

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

Well here is another question, if you buy a 60Hz 4K TV

I’d be really surprised if a HDMI 2.0 based 4K “TV” didn’t support 30HZ.  However, it is more likely a DisplayPort 1.x 4K “monitor” would NOT support 4K at 30HZ.  

Cheers Rob