Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SoloPilot

How do I get more FPS out of FSX:SE?

Recommended Posts

As the title states, I'm wondering how I can get more FPS out of FSX. Yes, I know that there are several videos out there. I don't want to sacrifice too much airline traffic density. I also don't want to sacrifice much in the way of scenery, but I need something better than what I'm getting right now at busy airports. At an airport such as KJFK, KDFW, KBOS, or KATL, I get about 5-15 FPS in my PMDG 737, and when I'm approaching airports such as these, I often get a message that says that I ran out of memory and that FSX will now quit.

My system specs:

  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz (quad core, 8x logical processors)
  • 8 GB memory
  • 1 TB hard drive
  • NVIDIA GT 640 with 2 GB video memory

I know that the video card is what limits me. Any advice and tips are appreciated greatly.


Matthew Lewandowski

yeEIP.gif

signature-dark.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SoloPilot said:

As the title states, I'm wondering how I can get more FPS out of FSX. Yes, I know that there are several videos out there. I don't want to sacrifice too much airline traffic density. I also don't want to sacrifice much in the way of scenery, but I need something better than what I'm getting right now at busy airports. At an airport such as KJFK, KDFW, KBOS, or KATL, I get about 5-15 FPS in my PMDG 737, and when I'm approaching airports such as these, I often get a message that says that I ran out of memory and that FSX will now quit.

My system specs:

  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz (quad core, 8x logical processors)
  • 8 GB memory
  • 1 TB hard drive
  • NVIDIA GT 640 with 2 GB video memory

I know that the video card is what limits me. Any advice and tips are appreciated greatly.

What limits you is CPU not Video Card.  3.4 GHZ is very tiny for what you are trying to do.  You will need 4.2-4.5GHZ for the performance you are looking for. 


Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

                                     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, charliearon said:

What limits you is CPU not Video Card.  3.4 GHZ is very tiny for what you are trying to do.  You will need 4.2-4.5GHZ for the performance you are looking for. 

Oh, I didn't even realize that. What are some steps I can take to make FSX run faster, not run out of memory, and still have decent(ish) graphics?


Matthew Lewandowski

yeEIP.gif

signature-dark.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can check through the AVSIM FSX Config. Guide, but most of those tweaks have been done in FSX-SE. It all boils down to "what you see is what takes up the CPU processing power".  High amount of AI traffic, water settings above 2.0, Excessively high weather and cloud settings, Airport vehicle, car and boat traffic, aircraft labels, Lens flare and light bloom.  These are just some of the things that help to lower your FPS.

If things look fairly smooth, even at the low FPS, then don't let it bother you.

  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

                                     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, thank you. I’ll have a look at that guide and go from there. 


Matthew Lewandowski

yeEIP.gif

signature-dark.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey , you can try using

[Bufferpools]

Poolsize=0

just add it to the top of the  fsx.cfg file ( it work for me I have a graphic card with 8g so I dont know if will work for you)    GPU handle the data instead of the CPU and will not make any reserve for memory                               

Edited by Alencp20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is weird that you get OOM with fsx steam and your system, Im running a less processor speed than yours (quad  2.7 GHz overclock of curse, but not to you speed ), I do have higher memory GPU than yours , im running world of Ai and make sure I installed them manually and run my traffic at 40% and active sky 2016 and I can maintain 40 + fps in must of my add on airports imaginesim KATL (which is a frame hog) is the worst and can mantain 29 30 fps never had any OOM , I cross my fingers,

I run nvidia inspector and override the anti aliasing of the game which is off 

and unlimited fps in the game shi ....t some time I get 140 fps while in the air

and only tweak in my cfg is the one I give you above

 

I do not own any PMDG

or ORBX,(if you run ORBX that could be a different story) or any PHOTO real mesh nothing like that, just the mesh that comes with the add on airport

but I have

flythemaddog ,qualitywings 757, aerosoft airbus 320, 321

 

You have fsx steam which i have , it already came optimize with most of the tweaks including the HIGHMEMFIX

are you sure you are not running extra program in you computer ?

before launching fsx go task manager and check the CPU usage if it doesn't display 0 or 1 , you have stuff running in the background

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 4:55 PM, SoloPilot said:

As the title states, I'm wondering how I can get more FPS out of FSX. Yes, I know that there are several videos out there. I don't want to sacrifice too much airline traffic density. I also don't want to sacrifice much in the way of scenery, but I need something better than what I'm getting right now at busy airports. At an airport such as KJFK, KDFW, KBOS, or KATL, I get about 5-15 FPS in my PMDG 737, and when I'm approaching airports such as these, I often get a message that says that I ran out of memory and that FSX will now quit.

My system specs:

  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz (quad core, 8x logical processors)
  • 8 GB memory
  • 1 TB hard drive
  • NVIDIA GT 640 with 2 GB video memory

I know that the video card is what limits me. Any advice and tips are appreciated greatly.

A "K" series CPU with at least 4 cores and capable of running all 4 cores at 4 GHz, an aftermarket CPU cooler so you can overclock it, and an Nvidia graphics card that has a model number that ends in "70" or "80".  FSX needs lots of processor speed and Nvidia cards with model numbers ending in "40" or "50" are entry level cards that struggle with higher anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and high resolution settings. 

As for the OOM error, highly detailed and sophisticated aircraft such as the PMDG 737 consume a large chunk of memory.  Add in AI, high scenery settings, add-on airports, weather, and you very quickly use 4GB of RAM or more.  Unfortunately, FSX and FSE-Steam are 32-bit programs, so 4GB of RAM is all it will ever be able to use.  PrePar3D version 4, which is based on FSX, does utilize 64-bit architecture and is not limited to 4GB of RAM usage.


My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 7:14 AM, stans said:

A "K" series CPU with at least 4 cores and capable of running all 4 cores at 4 GHz, an aftermarket CPU cooler so you can overclock it, and an Nvidia graphics card that has a model number that ends in "70" or "80".  FSX needs lots of processor speed and Nvidia cards with model numbers ending in "40" or "50" are entry level cards that struggle with higher anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and high resolution settings. 

As for the OOM error, highly detailed and sophisticated aircraft such as the PMDG 737 consume a large chunk of memory.  Add in AI, high scenery settings, add-on airports, weather, and you very quickly use 4GB of RAM or more.  Unfortunately, FSX and FSE-Steam are 32-bit programs, so 4GB of RAM is all it will ever be able to use.  PrePar3D version 4, which is based on FSX, does utilize 64-bit architecture and is not limited to 4GB of RAM usage.

So basically, my only option is to spend some money on computer parts?


Matthew Lewandowski

yeEIP.gif

signature-dark.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoloPilot said:

So basically, my only option is to spend some money on computer parts?

I think that old equation applies here....Want more= spend more.


Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

                                     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, charliearon said:

I think that old equation applies here....Want more= spend more.

True... I just need to figure out a way to fly without my computer running out of memory, because I enjoy flying in the PMDG 737 but I also want to fly in and out of airports such as Atlanta, Boston, and Los Angeles.


Matthew Lewandowski

yeEIP.gif

signature-dark.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoloPilot said:

True... I just need to figure out a way to fly without my computer running out of memory, because I enjoy flying in the PMDG 737 but I also want to fly in and out of airports such as Atlanta, Boston, and Los Angeles.

Spending more money won’t eliminate the out of memory situation, that will only be resolved by settings and what you have installed.

You haven’t told us what settings you are currently using but I can tell you that I run a modest system (2700K at 3.85ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX670 4GB, Win 7 64bit) and have all the PMDG planes, countless addon airports (FSDT, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, LatinVFR, etc), WOAI cargo + UT2, ORBX stuff, UT USA/Eu, bunch of photoreal scenery and I’ve configured it to maintain at least 25 FPS or higher at all addon airports and never run out of memory. I don’t use any addon sky, water or scenery textures larger than 1024 and am careful about settings (no road traffic, no boats, no airport vehicles as most addon scenery provides that).

If you post your settings and addons we can give more info on what to turn off/down that can help you get more FPS and not run out of memory. 

Since I started FSX in 2009 I’ve only had one OOM and it was due to the first release of the PMDG NGX that had an issue that was later fixed in a service pack. Aside from that one time, I’ve never had another out of memory situation.


Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SoloPilot said:

So basically, my only option is to spend some money on computer parts?

There is an old saying in the high performance car world.  Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

 

7 hours ago, SoloPilot said:

True... I just need to figure out a way to fly without my computer running out of memory, because I enjoy flying in the PMDG 737 but I also want to fly in and out of airports such as Atlanta, Boston, and Los Angeles.

Atlanta, Boston, and Los Angeles are big cities, lots of buildings and scenery, that means lots of autogen buildings in FSX.  That really eats up memory.  Add in AI, especially surface vehicles, then maybe some live weather and you can quickly use up the 4 GB of RAM that FSX uses.  Turn off surface traffic, move the sliders for autogen to the left, turn off shadows, turn off moving jetways and see how it performs.


My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, charliearon said:

What limits you is CPU not Video Card.  3.4 GHZ is very tiny for what you are trying to do.  You will need 4.2-4.5GHZ for the performance you are looking for. 

    I strongly disagree. 3.4 GHZ is certainly not "very tiny". I have an Alienware X51 computer with an i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz processor, Windows 7, a GEX 1060 video card, and I run FSX (with a wide range of high-definition scenery) with almost all sliders maxed out except water (which I have at mid-high). I experience smooth performance with FPS ranging from 50 to above 100 outside a few high-density airports, and even in those places I see FPS >20 in most cases. You absolutely do NOT need 4-5 GHZ to have good to excellence performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...