Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Carenado S340....anyone have it?

Looking for some forum members opinions on the new Carenado Saab 340.   If you have it, I would appreciate hearing your opinion about the plane.  I've always loved this commuter since I've flown on it several times.  Also want to know if it uses the default GPS from Microsoft.

Stan

3 minutes ago, spilok said:

Also want to know if it uses the default GPS from Microsoft.

There's a disclaimer that the GTN is a separate purchase so I assume it's stock MS GPS. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

The stock FMS is Carenado's Universal FMS that includes the Navigraph database, updated to 2013. I have the F1 GTN so I can't tell you how well the stock FMS works. 

The plane handles relatively well when I doing basic maneuvers and some pattern work. I have not taken it out on any point A-B flights.

The start up seems a little buggy..when starting the engines the plane veered off to the right even with the parking brake set. Then started the left engine and it veered off to the left. My first impressions were "meh" after having spent $45.00 USD but I might be somewhat biased after spending quite a few hours in a certain payware B200 Super King Air.

I haven't really spent enough time in it to give it a fair opinion but as far as turboprops, Flight1 has set the bar somewhat high.

Edited by HDUltraClassic
Added more comments

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

Make mine first flight between KEKA and KJAC, I programmed the universal fms (simbrief plan) and set the plane with the menu on: ready for taxi.

At this moment, I don't have the documentation to do a cold and dark startup... (Checklist is not enough)

Find the plane easy to fly and the autopilot make is job well in Nav and Vnav, the approach was perfect and I landing manually at 500 feet announce. Was a kiss landing but the reverse was not ready by mine fault... So I take a lot of runway length.

Awesome graphic as Carendo do. Happy to have-it in mine hangar because I make a trip on this kind of SAAB in Suede.

Mark

Is anybody else not able to bring the prop levers back to idle cutoff? No matter how many levers I pull or what buttons I press (like that red one near the throttles) I can't seem to turn the plane off without using Control+Shift+F1. 

I hope the problem is with me: I have a lot for this plane but not being able to shut it down properly is a pretty huge oversight. 

30 minutes ago, hmn434 said:

Is anybody else not able to bring the prop levers back to idle cutoff? No matter how many levers I pull or what buttons I press (like that red one near the throttles) I can't seem to turn the plane off without using Control+Shift+F1. 

I hope the problem is with me: I have a lot for this plane but not being able to shut it down properly is a pretty huge oversight. 

Yes, the condition levers should be able to cut off the fuel and the engines should spool down. But they don't yet. There is what I think is a "get it out the door" after thought and they put in a click spot near the bottom of the right engine condition lever slot that shuts off the fuel. They should fix that and have the levers work right - sure they will since the fuel cut off postion is marked by the cut off position. Happy flying.

1 hour ago, apollomaker said:

in a click spot near the bottom of the right engine condition lever slot that shuts off the fuel

Instinctively I do this click spot, because I use a lot the Majestic Dash and it is a sameless technic used with the mouse on screen to pass step by step to a other level of propeller.

I never saw the first version of aircrafts working perfectly, rapidly they are always patched... AVsim topics help developers for more affinities.

A little problem with the coarse staying on low is to correct... Or give us more documentations or manuals to understand what append.

Check lists is well but a important think is the workflow of pilot and FO.

Must said that I like this aircraft after one day to fly with.

Mark

5 hours ago, spilok said:

Looking for some forum members opinions on the new Carenado Saab 340.   If you have it, I would appreciate hearing your opinion about the plane.  I've always loved this commuter since I've flown on it several times.  Also want to know if it uses the default GPS from Microsoft.

Stan

Stan,

I too like this aircraft and purchased the Carenado version from Day one of release, the visuals inside and out are extraordinary and will not leave you disappointed. There is the usual lack of documentation from Carenado, but they have utilized a menu system allowing several states of aircraft readiness, the last being fully powered up systems and engines ready to fly. I have the GTN750 installed which hides down low of the panel to the right of the yoke - very hard to use in this location but a click spot opens it up to a full window. As mentioned previously, it comes with the Carenado Nav System, which disables if the GTN is installed - so I can't comment on that operation. I did a 90 minute flight from YMRB to YBBN (Moranbah to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia). I set the cruise altitude to FL200, created a direct route FP in the GTN. I took off at dusk which allowed the external and cockpit lighting show - which is quite functional and impressive. After takeoff, the climb was set at 1500fpm which got me to cruise no problem, the 340 is supposed to be able to climb at 2000 fpm but with this dialed in the airspeed bled off alarmingly around FL140, so 1500 was the happy medium. At cruise, the airspeed showed an indicated 220kts with a GS of 266knots, which is similar to that of the X-Plane Les Saab 340. Descent into Brisbane was set at 1500 fpm and the Saab picked up the SINNK localizer into Rwy19 and followed the correct glideslope with a autopilot disconnected at 1000 feet and the final approach flown manually. The Saab is very responsive and does not appear, at this stage, to have any vices, after touchdown I taxied to the gate and was able to shutdown using the levels, I did not have the reported issue of not being able to shut it down using this method.

All things considered, this is a fine aircraft and Carenado keep getting better (except maybe with documentation) It is not a study level aircraft like the Majestic Q400 but is still in depth enough for the Novice or Purist to enjoy. The cockpit detail is unbelievable, it must look so real in VR, something I do not have.

My advice Stan,  you won't be disappointed if purchased, it is an aircraft that you can just get in and fly OR take the time and go through the start up yourself - each flight will be a learning curve for the next flight.

Hope this helps

Steve

Edited by JustanotherPilot
grammar
  • Like 1

steve southey

Cruise at FL200 will be somewhere around 200 indicated which generly works out to approx 270 true.....+/-20 depending on time of year, engine anti-ice on or off etc.

The last bit of climb will be slow and this is normal unless you're light or it's very cold. Usual altitudes for cruise were FL200 or 210 depending on winds aloft. Higher if winds were favorable and lower if not. If the aircraft was light going right up the FL250 would give some great fuel flows sometimes as low as 850#/hr indicated combined for both engines.

GPS location was down on the pedestal on the ones I flew. Not the most convenient but you got used to it fine. 

Dave

Guest JetFueler

The fuel is controlled by the condition levers in this plane.  Try just ctrl+F1 or if you map a control to the prop pitch axis, pull that full back and the engine will stop.  This is actually more realistic as the condition levers are prop AND fuel controls. Also, there is a click spot to set the condition levers to shut off but I'm not positive as to it's location as I have them mapped to a controller.  I think I read that they are on the pedestal itself just aft of the levers but I'm not certain.

I suspect people experiencing over torque on start up are not starting the engines with the condition levers in start/feather and likely at max.  Your condition levers should be at start/feather. I'd also suggest selecting a state from the menu they provide (shift+8 IIRC) be it cold and dark or ready to start.

I think this is one of the best planes Carenado has put out.  The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me is the audio panel.  The Nav Source L or R buttons don't do anything either BUT the 'select' knob on the EFIS controller cycles between Nav 1, Nav 2 and FMS which serves the same function as the Nav Source buttons and adds FMS functionality. Besides, that, my most serious complaints are that the FMC is typically Carenado idiosyncratic and the sounds are not so great at times.

The engines can be stopped by these methods, but the propellers just keep turning over forever. How do you get them to run down to a stop?

One issue: The propellers are not feathered when the condition levers are in the start position. Wish there was a way to fix this. Does not start like a real saab 340.