Sign in to follow this  
exstense

(start) learning the 744 or 777 before 748

I look forward to start with the 748 in a couple of months. At this moment I have the 777 and the 744-v3, besides other PMDG planes.

What is wisdom? To start to deepen my knowledge of the 744, or keep on working on the 777, since the diffences between the 744 and the 748 are too large (is this true?), and the energy could better be invested in the 777.

I'm aware that this is subjective. But I'm curious.

Edited by exstense

I'd go for the 744... afaik the 747-8 incorporates more of the 787's tech in terms of software than of the 777.

Not to mention other similarities with the 744, like the cockpit layout, the overhead panel, being a 4 engine aircraft... etc

Edited by evaamo
  • Upvote 1

Enrique Vaamonde

50 minutes ago, exstense said:

What is wisdom? To start to deepen my knowledge of the 744, or keep on working on the 777, since the diffences between the 744 and the 748 are too large (is this true?), and the energy could better be invested in the 777.

What's your need? Hand flying, or systems?

If you need work managing an incredibly large aircraft by hand, then I'd go with the 744. If you think you're going to need help understanding how a plane does everything for you, then I'd go with the 777.

If it were me, I'd go with the 744. The pieces of the 777 that the 748 has are the automated things you can easily pick up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

16 hours ago, exstense said:

I look forward to start with the 748 in a couple of months.

Are you so optimistic in your life? 😄

James Goggi

2 hours ago, jgoggi said:

Yes I am.

The longer it takes, the more fun I will have on the 744. Because after that, I propably won't fly the 744 anymore.

Edited by exstense

2 hours ago, jgoggi said:

I mean, I don't know if any beta testing of any PMDG aircraft that took years once beta testing started, so I guess he's not necessarily wrong.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

744 is my suggestion.. Similar overhead layout to the 748 and the dynamics of a 4-engine jet are somewhat different to those of a 2-engine jet. As Kyle said, the automated 777-style aspects of the 748 are things that are relatively straightforward to pick up.

• Upvote 1

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I guess you should be aware that Boeing doesn't have a 747-8 course. You have to take the 747-400 type rating and then a difference course.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On 6/23/2018 at 6:41 PM, MarkJHarris said:

I guess you should be aware that Boeing doesn't have a 747-8 course. You have to take the 747-400 type rating and then a difference course.

Will there be a FCOM for the 747-8? Or will it be a difference-list?

No idea. I guess there will have to be a full -8 type conversion at some point. In house ones from Lufthansa maybe. Anyway, the answer to that lies with PMDG I guess.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Sorry to wake up a sleeping thread, but......if you want to prepare for the arrival of the 747-8 by flying the 747-400, I would suggest flying the ER or ERF. I was surprised to discover that the VC has a few subtle differences when compared to the "standard" 747-400.....

An iFSD gauge

Digital style settings on the MCP

More responsive FMS

Not exactly Earth shattering news, but I thought that I would mention it :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

18 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

An iFSD gauge

Digital style settings on the MCP

Both are available as a selectable option on any version you choose. They have been available on production 747-400 for a long time. You don't have to select the ER or ERF models to get them.

The new FMS isn't modelled in the PMDG 747-400 but will presumably be in the 747-8.

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

I had no idea that stuff like this could be changed for individual models. I assume that these options are selectable via the FMS?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, the ISFD is selectable from the Instrument menu, APFD digital displays from Panel Options.

ki9cAAb.jpg