exstense

(start) learning the 744 or 777 before 748

Posted (edited)

I look forward to start with the 748 in a couple of months. At this moment I have the 777 and the 744-v3, besides other PMDG planes.

What is wisdom? To start to deepen my knowledge of the 744, or keep on working on the 777, since the diffences between the 744 and the 748 are too large (is this true?), and the energy could better be invested in the 777.

I'm aware that this is subjective. But I'm curious.

Edited by exstense

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

I'd go for the 744... afaik the 747-8 incorporates more of the 787's tech in terms of software than of the 777.

Not to mention other similarities with the 744, like the cockpit layout, the overhead panel, being a 4 engine aircraft... etc

Edited by evaamo
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, exstense said:

What is wisdom? To start to deepen my knowledge of the 744, or keep on working on the 777, since the diffences between the 744 and the 748 are too large (is this true?), and the energy could better be invested in the 777.

What's your need? Hand flying, or systems?

If you need work managing an incredibly large aircraft by hand, then I'd go with the 744. If you think you're going to need help understanding how a plane does everything for you, then I'd go with the 777.

If it were me, I'd go with the 744. The pieces of the 777 that the 748 has are the automated things you can easily pick up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, exstense said:

I look forward to start with the 748 in a couple of months.

Are you so optimistic in your life? 😄

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jgoggi said:

Yes I am.

The longer it takes, the more fun I will have on the 744. Because after that, I propably won't fly the 744 anymore.

Edited by exstense

2 hours ago, jgoggi said:

I mean, I don't know if any beta testing of any PMDG aircraft that took years once beta testing started, so I guess he's not necessarily wrong.

744 is my suggestion.. Similar overhead layout to the 748 and the dynamics of a 4-engine jet are somewhat different to those of a 2-engine jet. As Kyle said, the automated 777-style aspects of the 748 are things that are relatively straightforward to pick up.

• Upvote 1

I guess you should be aware that Boeing doesn't have a 747-8 course. You have to take the 747-400 type rating and then a difference course.

Thanks for your opinions. I made up my mind. I will continu with the 744

On 6/23/2018 at 6:41 PM, MarkJHarris said:

I guess you should be aware that Boeing doesn't have a 747-8 course. You have to take the 747-400 type rating and then a difference course.

Will there be a FCOM for the 747-8? Or will it be a difference-list?

No idea. I guess there will have to be a full -8 type conversion at some point. In house ones from Lufthansa maybe. Anyway, the answer to that lies with PMDG I guess.

Sorry to wake up a sleeping thread, but......if you want to prepare for the arrival of the 747-8 by flying the 747-400, I would suggest flying the ER or ERF. I was surprised to discover that the VC has a few subtle differences when compared to the "standard" 747-400.....

An iFSD gauge

Digital style settings on the MCP

More responsive FMS

Not exactly Earth shattering news, but I thought that I would mention it :smile:

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

An iFSD gauge

Digital style settings on the MCP

Both are available as a selectable option on any version you choose. They have been available on production 747-400 for a long time. You don't have to select the ER or ERF models to get them.

The new FMS isn't modelled in the PMDG 747-400 but will presumably be in the 747-8.

Edited by kevinh

Posted (edited)

I had no idea that stuff like this could be changed for individual models. I assume that these options are selectable via the FMS?

Edited by Christopher Low

Yes, the ISFD is selectable from the Instrument menu, APFD digital displays from Panel Options.

51 minutes ago, kevinh said:

APFD digital displays from Panel Options.

You mean: MENU -> PMDG SETUP -> OPTIONS?

And what do I select after that??

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, exstense said:

You mean: MENU -> PMDG SETUP -> OPTIONS?

And what do I select after that??

I wasn’t trying to reproduce the entire menu tree. I figured people with 747v3 would know where to start.  

The exact location can be found in the Introduction Manual. It’s searchable so you can easily find “Panel Options”.

Edited by kevinh

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, exstense said:

Will there be a FCOM for the 747-8? Or will it be a difference-list?

As there is one in real life that may be a sound assumption.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, kevinh said:

I wasn’t trying to reproduce the entire menu tree. I figured people with 747v3 would know where to start.  

Yes, you are right. I gave a sloppy response. 🤕

But thanks for helping me.

Will the -8 upgrade package also upgrade features on the -400 as well? A lot of 747-400s now use an upgraded FMC that more closely resembles the -8's FMC.

4 hours ago, M_Sauce said:

Will the -8 upgrade package also upgrade features on the -400 as well? A lot of 747-400s now use an upgraded FMC that more closely resembles the -8's FMC.

There will be changes to the -400 but not in the way of new features such as an updated FMC.  Most changes are internal in that the -400 and -8 share dll modules.

• Like 1

The hand-flying between these two options - the 777 and the 744 - is night and day.  Hand-flying the 744 IS A DREAM!  I hope upon hope that the 748's hand-flying characteristics will be derived from the 744.

7 hours ago, ahuimanu said:

The hand-flying between these two options - the 777 and the 744 - is night and day.  Hand-flying the 744 IS A DREAM!  I hope upon hope that the 748's hand-flying characteristics will be derived from the 744.

The first big surprise I had beta testing the -8 was how nice she is to fly.  I really really like hand flying her.