GSalden

P3Dv4.3 : my observations

The good :

1 several general bug fixes ( see LM list )

2 Wideview correction ( no more fisheye )

Less good :

1 although not much I sometimes experience blurries where I did not have then with v4.2 with the same settings

2 the longer the flight the more the fps drops. In my case after 1.5h about 15-20%. With V4.2 this was 5-7%

3 ASP4 has more impact on the framerate than with V4.3 ( Note : I use the latest beta ) . Saving a flight and reloading it without ASP4 running shows the same clouds but with 20% more fps

4 Sometimes the Wideview correction does not show at startup. Several times Alt + Enter and / or choosinh the custom made camera views again solves this.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your insight. I'm actually skiping it waiting for v4.4 if it ever comes. Don't like either all those too many reports and possible solutions about v4.3 hang-ups during startup due to probably a single disturbing addon. Bad for LM.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that AI aircraft now also has a slight more impact on the framerate.

In total : all those mentioned points together cause a noticable impact on fps compared to V4.2.

I have done multiple tests when TE Netherlands was released to get the best framerate possible with my system and still have a detailed scenery.

Now I feel I have to start all over again.

• Like 1

Hi Gerard,

Tks for your observations.

Mine are completely different and after viewing a few of your videos I think my comments would be irrelevant compared to yours.

Very nice setup and it seemed fluid enough without noticeable blurries in 4.2.

Could it be that the wideview correction is "buggy" and causing some of your problems?

Note: I run a 4k monitor at 30hz. Did a full install of 4.3. Now in the process or re-installing/testing all add-ons one by one. So far 4.3 has been an overall improvement over 4.2 for me.

I drive 2 other 24'' minotor for FStramp and ATC and AS wx.

Cheers,

Pierre

37 minutes ago, ppo said:

Hi Gerard,

Tks for your observations.

Mine are completely different and after viewing a few of your videos I think my comments would be irrelevant compared to yours.

Very nice setup and it seemed fluid enough without noticeable blurries in 4.2.

Could it be that the wideview correction is "buggy" and causing some of your problems?

Note: I run a 4k monitor at 30hz. Did a full install of 4.3. Now in the process or re-installing/testing all add-ons one by one. So far 4.3 has been an overall improvement over 4.2 for me.

I drive 2 other 24'' minotor for FStramp and ATC and AS wx.

Cheers,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

That the Wideview shader fix causes a little framerate loss that might be true. 

But that has nothing to do with ASP4 on or off with the same clouds and showing a greater impact than in V4.2x

Or AI aircraft now having more impact on the framerate.

Also having an extra view now has more impact than with V4.0-4.2. Even with the Wideview correction off. Back to the 40% fps loss while it was “just” 25% wiith V4.0-4.2 ( with V3 it also was 25% , while in V2 it was about 40% )

regards

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

First of all, thanks for the great tweaks you've made for PTA!  I really find your observations to be very insightful, especially regarding blurries and FPS loss.  I'm trying to figure out why FPS does become slower over as a flight progresses.  Here are departure and arrival videos on a 2.5-hour flight from Dallas (FSDT) to Miami (Latin VFR), using PMDG, Active Sky, UTL, PTA, and ORBX OLC NA.  I left the FPS displaying to show the drop.  As you can see from my profile, I have a more than an adequate system for P3D and these add-ons.

Cheers!

Luis

Edited by Luis_KMIA

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

Less good :

1 although not much I sometimes experience blurries where I did not have then with v4.2 with the same settings

Same here. Problem completely solved with 8xSSAA in P3D4.3 and 32xS et 8xSGSS in NVI/AA (with "Override any application setting").

7 hours ago, doudou said:

Same here. Problem completely solved with 8xSSAA in P3D4.3 and 32xS et 8xSGSS in NVI/AA (with "Override any application setting").

Normally taxing a graphics card less will help reducing blurries...

Extremely high SGSS will help with shimmering but is very heavy on the graphics card , so the oppositie of fighting blurries , which is caused by too slow loading.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:06 PM, Luis_KMIA said:

Hi Gerard,

First of all, thanks for the great tweaks you've made for PTA!  I really find your observations to be very insightful, especially regarding blurries and FPS loss.  I'm trying to figure out why FPS does become slower over as a flight progresses.  Here are departure and arrival videos on a 2.5-hour flight from Dallas (FSDT) to Miami (Latin VFR), using PMDG, Active Sky, UTL, PTA, and ORBX OLC NA.  I left the FPS displaying to show the drop.  As you can see from my profile, I have a more than an adequate system for P3D and these add-ons.

Cheers!

Luis

I see what you mean.

If I remember it correctly P3D  has been improved over time to let go of scenery/objects one has flown over , instead of keeping it in the memory .

Perhaps with V4.3 that is less optimal now...

• Like 1

What happens when you disable PTA and use the shaders provided in P3D V4.3?  You'll need to install the 4.3 shader files, can't remember if it was in client or content (I think client but do both just in case).

Cheers, Rob.

For me it’s the complete opposite, however I fly mainly using VR. V4.3 seems a lot smoother and performance higher allowing me to now tick the higher textures resolution box and select a higher MSAA. I’m also able to increase the autogen sliders to the right one notch from the middle.

In version 4.2 I was not able to use the above mentioned items because the frame rates got too low in cloudy weather using VR and in a PMDG Aircraft.

I’ve had texture blurry problems since FSX days but had no blurries when P3Dv4.1 came out but they returned in V4.2. In V4.3 it’s better but not completely eliminated if I blast around at Mach1 and low to the ground.

LM certainly made the VR users happy campers, a nice slight performance boost.

IM

Edited by Iceman2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GSalden said:

The good :

1 several general bug fixes ( see LM list )

2 Wideview correction ( no more fisheye )

Where is this Wideview correction hiding?

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, gboz said:

Where is this Wideview correction hiding?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

What happens when you disable PTA and use the shaders provided in P3D V4.3?  You'll need to install the 4.3 shader files, can't remember if it was in client or content (I think client but do both just in case).

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob ,

I will try without PTA.

Hopefully it is not because of the Shaders as with V4.2 it all worked well.

regards, Gerard

This time I took the plunge and did a full install of P3Dv 4.3, I only use 2MSAA anisotropic 4x  Ultra-4096x4096 , running on a 28" 4K monitor, the only tweak in the config 8.5 LOD, I don't use NVI only NV control panel FPS locked 29 with FFTF running, unlocked micro stutters sometimes. I think sometimes if you over tweak P3D you can get lost and go downhill. Terrain slider max scenery objects very dense, autogen  extremely dense, and for me it looks better than 4.2 default, don't have PTA use envshade envtex.

Edited by rjfry

Did you do a complete fresh install or update Gerard?

Imho too 4.3 looks better. But if the improvements cause more load on the pc ....

43 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Did you do a complete fresh install or update Gerard?

Only the Cliënt Update. I always do that.

I did a full 4.3 install fresh on a new Win10, then added the 1b+ usual stuff. I observe a slightly lower FPS with a little more blurries in congested areas, due to the increased load I guess (FSL A319-320). But overall it's acceptable on my hardware, flying between EGLL and EHAM back and forth. P3Dv4.3 looks better.

(i6700@4.6GHz, HT On, 16Gb RAM@3000Mhz, GTX 1080Ti)

I don’t fly more than 2 hour flights but with a clean full install all is good.

No real idea why but full clean install is always seems better imo.

I always encounter problems with client only etc

Edited by Nyxx

8 hours ago, GSalden said:

Hopefully it is not because of the Shaders as with V4.2 it all worked well.

LM can and do change shader files on release, so if any product is working the shaders they'll need to update and/or be aware also ... I had a similar issue with ENVSHADE but it was resolved by developer soon after V4.3 release.  If you remove PTA does it attempt to restore a backup of the older V4.2 shader files?  If so, this might cause a problem as you'll be operating V4.3 core code expecting V4.3 shaders but you've restore V4.2 shaders from a PTA restore and/or uninstall ... I'm guessing because I don't know how or what PTA does for backing up original shader files and/or how it restores them (if it restores them).

I'm pretty sure the shader files were changed from V4.2 to V4.3 (base clean installs).

Not suggesting that IS the problem, but it's where you might want to start to look.  In my testing V4.3 with a base install (with very limited add-ons, usually a DL aware airport or two) produced slight better results than V4.2 base install with the same airports.  However, I don't use surround or wideview and I would imagine distortion correct is not "free" in terms of FPS and PTA might be an additional burden on that correction process.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

With PTA the original Shaders are being backed up and can be restored. I will try with the default Shaders. However I doubt that the Shaders are the cause.

YesterdayI landed at Schiphol Amsterdam , coming from Frankfurt and at the tarmac the framerate was 13-14 fps.

I closed P3D V4.3 and restarted it. With the same addon programs still running ( ASP4 / Live Traffic ) the framerate was 20-22 ....

Does perhaps V4.3 let go of flown over scenery less well as V4.2 did ?

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

YesterdayI landed at Schiphol Amsterdam , coming from Frankfurt and at the tarmac the framerate was 13-14 fps.

I always observe exactly this. But this was already the case back in my FSX days and through all P3D versions I used. Starting in LSZH i get 25FPS, flying out of it to EDDF (both AS sceneries with AI traffic), I have 15FPS when touching down in EDDF. Vice versa, starting in EDDF I get about 25FPS, flying out of it to LSZH, I have 15FPS when touching down in LSZH. Always. Since years. I got used to it, but know if you talk about this again, I am curious if there is a fix for this...

i have another point of view for you Gerard,

could this variation you are seeing and trying to compare between versions has to do with features and bugs corrected?
this could mean an elements or effect earlier not expressed are now properly expressed and thus require adjustments?

if you run a feature that's not working; than fixed later in new version how do you expect the same outcome still?
instead you should  first factor which functionality been restored and evaluate how it should be effecting you now vs "i have more frame impact" route :wink:

I know that P3D has a tree construction. Every object  scenery around you is attached to a branch. After some time the tree gets too big is slowing down performance.

With each new version LM was able to have branches to let go of objects/scenery after they were passed by.

As Chris stated it might be that new features are improving quality but also a little heavier on the system. Perhaps now the tree construction is letting go of objects/scenery slower than before and when using high settings it might be too much.

Left or right : something is different and people like me , pushing the system to its bounderies will see the framerate loss first..

• Like 1