Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

2080 2080Ti full review.

I am looking forward to picking up a used 1080ti for about CAD$600 and I suppose I will upgrade in a couple of years to a used 2080ti for about the same. I would buy a 2080ti if it was about CAD$800 even CAD$900 at a stretch. But CAD$1600+ KMA! My gut feeling is that whole Titan thing was Nvidia testing the water to see what they could get away with. Sure if you want one go ahead but don't be under any illusion that you are not being ripped a new one! Because you are!! But to be fare I do believe that anything is worth whatever price the market will bear so there you go. But Nvidia have definitely manipulated that market thanks to AMD's apparent inability to compete. I certainly remember a time when I considered and bought and loved Radeon GPU's. I am willing to hazard a guess that there is a secret agreement between Intel and Nvidia: You don't GPU's and we won't make CPU's and visa versa. I like that AMD do bought and the fact that AMD do bought tells me the Intel and Nvidia also should do bought. I would love to see AMD come out of left field with something ankle braking in bought the GPU and CPU department and then perhaps we can get back to paying about $450 for a top of the line GPU and about $200 for a top of the line CPU.

Edited by Guest

This should be an exciting and fun time for simmers but, for some reason, these reviews and all the games that Nvidia is playing is giving it the feel of getting a letter from the IRS about your taxes. I for one, am needing to upgrade badly but for now I will wait for the release of the 9700K and 9900K and hold off on these GPU's until we know more. At this point none of the reviewers seem very excited about this release and even less excited about the prices. This garbage about "oh sorry guys we just don't have enough for everyone" is enough to make one want to up-chuck their popcorn. Good lord it sounds like a small market furniture commercial. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Are you folks watching something completely different?

My claim was based on these benchmarks. I haven't watched that many reviews yet though.

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Definitely would never call a GPU or any computing hardware used for gaming or flight simulations as an "investment"

Yes I'd agree with that. My comment was made more in reference to the different features of these Turing cards (DLSS, Mesh based shading, MVR, etc) that you can't make use of yet (edit: ok I think as of today there are 4 already released games that have DLSS, my bad). In that sense it is kind of an "investment" because you expect/hope to see a lot of software using it in the near future.

Edited by LB777

From my point of view, most reviewers tend to think that price is the main factor here. Let me say this clear, for me a rtx2080ti price is ridiculously high, but with previous GPUs gens we were just expecting more power, higher fps, lower power consumption, and pretty much that´s it. With the RTX gen we have a  very powerful new technique, we have DLSS, we have specific cores that we´ll help with different and certain tasks.

I was really expecting this: most people looking only at the difference of frames of a 2080ti from an 1080ti (as everyone had one), but I think it´s not fair to compare both GPUS based only on FPS since the new ones have a lot more to offer. I, for one, think that DLSS it´s not just better than TAA, the improvement in perfomance can be a game changer for our hobby.

And I still think that the price is too high, but I´ll stick too my new 2080ti.

6 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'll only be testing out the 2080Ti's in NVLink and non-NVLink.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, do you have VR by any chance? I´m dying to see any reviews of the new GPUs in VR.

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Looking at the fps of the 2080i compared to the 1080 (my current card) on the video supplied by @nas123 I saw an increase of 75% to 100% on all the games shown.

So for me I may well bite the bullet when I order my new computer once the i9 CPUs are available mainstream.

Looking back I see I paid £276 for a 128Mb Hercules 9800 Pro in Feb 2004 and £421 for a Ti4600 in May 2002! Whilst expensive so were those cards too.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am playing P3D v4 in 4K and as I saw at the reviewers, 4K performance for fps is increased, which for me is important.

Of course, it is quite a high price but if at 4K with good settings, 30 fps will be smooth and stable... I think it is all about the experience. My 1080Ti FTW3 still struggles with DL to be honest.

I am waiting for Rob's tests to see if he confirms it.

And when DLSS will be implemented, will be even better I suppose.

Edited by Vali

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

14 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I There must be enough people out there that will buy it, just like the people that buy the iPhone X line.

Apparently pre orders are good, so seems you are right.

12 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

LG7 is not an OLED display, old tech IPS LCD.  I do like the MicroSD card slot on the LG7 but since I've only used 56GB of my 256GB in my iPhone X it's probably not that relevant for me (I think I have about 1800 pictures on it and 1200 of them our cats).  The LG7 can't record 4K at 60 fps nor 1080 at 240 fps (HDR)?  The iPhone XS Max does have 4 speaker output.  

Oddly, my wife isn't into new phones, but she IS into new iPads ... she still uses an old iPhone 5, but as soon as a new iPad comes out she's on it ... never travels anywhere without it ... her purse/bag (or whatever it is they hang on their shoulders) makes for a good weapon with swing-ability and momentum. 🙂

Good luck!

Cheers, Rob.

I scoff at your puny iPhones, as I stroke my S8....

Even though the screen is smashed after a fascinating holiday on the island of Sark. I do love the Channel Islands.

Take a look at Gamers Nexus reviews on both cards on todays games that have not been optimised for GPUs, the old the titles then theirs less of a performance jump and the 1080ti is better than the 2080, and for that reason I don't see the 1080ti prices dropping as much as some would now like the cat out of the bag, now we now why Nvidia avoided for the first time in a release of a new CPU`s just talked about RT DLSS, and did not show benchmarks in the present games as they have done before, you have admire Nvidia they have taken note out of Apples book hype up enough and they will buy it, they have done that they have sold out there pre orders. And now games are being pushed back with DLSS not ready and not as simple to implement.    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Personally, I am only upgrading my rig when the next-generation of VR glasses are out. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

Personally, I am only upgrading my rig when the next-generation of VR glasses are out. 

Yeah, this is the only reason I may be interested in a new video card also.

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Looking at the fps of the 2080i compared to the 1080 (my current card) on the video supplied by @nas123 I saw an increase of 75% to 100% on all the games shown.

So for me I may well bite the bullet when I order my new computer once the i9 CPUs are available mainstream.

What other games do you play, Ray, besides P3D?  You may want to see how the 2080Ti performs first in the apps you use before buying.

4 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

What other games do you play, Ray, besides P3D?  You may want to see how the 2080Ti performs first in the apps you use before buying.

Nothing else, just P3D. And I won't be buying until I've seen test results with P3D. I know code needs adding to P3D before the card can take full advantage but that seems almost certain. Given I'll be running at UHD I need all the help the card can give me.

I'm hoping the 1080 in my existing system will be a major attraction when I offer it for sale once the components for my new system are available.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather