Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
HighFlier

Autothrottle on Landing

Recommended Posts

On the 777 and 787, Boeing recommends to leave the autothrottle on during landing, even when performing manual flight. To my understanding, this is due to the use of fly-by-wire. However, I wonder if the same applies to the 747-8. Since the -8 shares a type rating with the -400, that would lead me to believe that you are supposed to disengage the autothrottle during manual flight. However, since the -8 utilizes fly-by-wire, that would lead me to believe that you are supposed to leave the autothrottle on. Clearly, I’m not sure which is right. Can anyone shed some light on what Boeing recommends for the 747-8?


James Ward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 747-8 is not, in fact, full fly-by-wire, as is the case of the 777 and 787. I think it might just be limited to the ailerons and possibly the spoilers, but I don't remember off the top of my head. In any event, it's not the entire aircraft that's fly-by-wire.


Captain Kevin

8e9bfe368edaef204bfa6a1373fc6422.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 747-8 FCTM does not have a specific recommendation for A/T, which the 777 does.  It suggest that if you are going to disconnect A/T that you need to keep thrust changes minor and that you also need to incorporate "gust factors."  The A/T will automatically adjust for gusts for you and the nice thing about A/T is the help in thrust management it provides on go around with a low altitude level off.

The only electronically actuated controls on the -8 are outboard ailerons.

I prefer A/T landings on the 777 and 747-8, and manual throttle on the 737 and 747-400. That's just my preference.


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that you are supposed to leave AT on, even on the 737NG because of TOGA. That wouldn't work without autothrottle being on.


Robert Yunque

PilotEdge Ratings =   CAT-11 (2016-09-13)  I-11 (2016-10-23)  V-3 (2016-08-01)

fslabs_banner.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

even on the 737NG because of TOGA. That wouldn't work without autothrottle being on.

TOGA button will still work and trigger the FMC to TOGA mode and the FD will command a climb. The only thing is that you will have to move the thrust levers forward on your own.

You can perform a go-around without the autothrottle on (fortunately!)

 

Edited by Budbud
  • Like 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

 

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In real life we disengage the a/t for all manual landings in the 400 and -8. Some pilots will always disconnect it along with the autopilot, others will leave it on for a while, that part is just a matter of preference, but unless it’s an autoland we don’t land with it engaged. I do not know if this is Boeing procedure or company specific  

Pushing the TOGA will reactivate the a/t on a go around so that isn’t an issue. You have to make sure however that you disconnect it using the quick disconnect switches on the throttle quadrant. If you turn the a/t switch off they will not reactivate. 

 

Jeffery Williams

Edited by Jetlinker
  • Like 1

Jeffery Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downscc said:

The 747-8 FCTM does not have a specific recommendation for A/T, which the 777 does.  It suggest that if you are going to disconnect A/T that you need to keep thrust changes minor and that you also need to incorporate "gust factors."  The A/T will automatically adjust for gusts for you and the nice thing about A/T is the help in thrust management it provides on go around with a low altitude level off.

The only electronically actuated controls on the -8 are outboard ailerons.

I prefer A/T landings on the 777 and 747-8, and manual throttle on the 737 and 747-400. That's just my preference.

Same here. I have performed  some landings with A/T on and worked like a charm.

Best.

 

Miquel Egea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetlinker said:

In real life we disengage the a/t for all manual landings in the 400 and -8. Some pilots will always disconnect it along with the autopilot, others will leave it on for a while, that part is just a matter of preference, but unless it’s an autoland we don’t land with it engaged. I do not know if this is Boeing procedure or company specific  

Pushing the TOGA will reactivate the a/t on a go around so that isn’t an issue. You have to make sure however that you disconnect it using the quick disconnect switches on the throttle quadrant. If you turn the a/t switch off they will not reactivate. 

 

Jeffery Williams

Is this the same for the 737NG?


Robert Yunque

PilotEdge Ratings =   CAT-11 (2016-09-13)  I-11 (2016-10-23)  V-3 (2016-08-01)

fslabs_banner.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, signmanbob said:

Is this the same for the 737NG?

Not sure about the 737 as I haven’t flown one. 

  • Like 1

Jeffery Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been years since I have flown the NGX but if I recall well, the quick disconnect button also flips the A/T arm swith to off in which case, autothrottle would not be reactivated by pressing TOGA.

Edited by Budbud
  • Like 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

 

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it common to leave autothrottle on during the whole landing? 


Greetings from Germany,

 

Maurice Kroll 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, maukro_1990 said:

Is it common to leave autothrottle on during the whole landing? 

What airplane?  Manual or auto landing?


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, downscc said:

What airplane?  Manual or auto landing?

Do i leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing with a 747-8? I saw lots of videos where simmers leave AT on when AP was off. The question is if i can leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing, like i normally do with a T7?!


Greetings from Germany,

 

Maurice Kroll 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maukro_1990 said:

Do i leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing with a 747-8? I saw lots of videos where simmers leave AT on when AP was off. The question is if i can leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing, like i normally do with a T7?!

If you mean the switch, then yes, although that depends on each carrier. Some carriers close it all together. The Boeing procedure is to leave the switch to ON all the time.


Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

If you mean the switch, then yes, although that depends on each carrier. Some carriers close it all together. The Boeing procedure is to leave the switch to ON all the time.

I concur. Where I work we turn it off after landing and turn it on just before takeoff, as having it on during the taxi and inadvertently hitting the TOGA could make for a rather bad day. 


Jeffery Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    14%
    $3,600.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...