Sign in to follow this  
Novej757

Out of The Ashes: The New Black Phoenix Phenom 100E GTN-750 Mod

Where do I begin?  I never expected I’d receive the kind of interest my original CJ2+ mod generated:

A New Take on the CJ2 GTN 750 Integration

What started as a project to only improve my own experience in the Carenado Cj2, ultimately blew up into something far bigger than me.  More than anything it was the love I received from you all for creating it that really struck me.  So, I just wanted to start by saying thank you for all the support.  I still plan on doing a regular CJ2 update with the GTN too.  However, with a little help from @rcbarend, @Bert Pieke and @roland_lfor I got a little side tracked………….. I’d like to finally introduce you to it…….

Pheonix1_zpsyagfejcg.jpg

When Carenado first released plans to do the Phenom 100 it was received with a lot of excitement…..and also some cautious skepticism.  On one hand, back then there simply weren’t many business jets available to the flightsim community, especially ones with Carenado levels of modeling.  On the other hand, this also meant Carenados not so popular G1000 flight deck would be finding it’s new home in another aircraft that could prove to be popular……at least at release.

As we know that’s exactly what happened.  The Phenom was very popular initially.  That is until the G1000 gremlins seen in other Carenado G1000 equipped aircraft, started finding their way into the Phenom too.  It’s younger big brother the Phenom 300 would ultimately prove to be a better Phenom especially with its faster speed, increased range and even a Navigraph extension which kind of helped the G1000 woes but not really.  Ok not at all.

In a way, it paralleled the rise and “fall” of the real aircraft.  The Phenom 100 was first introduced to great acclaim back in 2005.  With its large spacious cabin, ease of operation and sexy looks, the Phenom was an instant hit especially with owner operators.  However, even after introducing the E (Enhanced) and EV (Evolution) variants of the Phenom 100 which offered increased speed and range along with a host of other upgrades, it’s initial popularity simply could not compare to the economic and performance advantage offered by the Phenom 300.  Like Carenado’s version, sales of the real 100 started to decline. To add insult to injury, then there was the newcomer on the block from of all places, a Japanese car company....

2016.05.28-09.33-flyhpa-574a0e9e585b8_zp

I won't go into all the awesome features of the HondaJet.  They are easy to find if you don't already know.  What I will call attention to is the fact that Honda went directly for Embraer and its Phenom 100’s jugulars.  Like Killmonger standing over a defeated Tchala shouting, “Is this your king?”, Honda designed an aircraft that took the best of the Phenom (i.e. cabin dimensions, ease of operation, and luggage capacity) and made it exponentially better.  It then added even more.  For example, the Phenom and Hondajet have virtually the same size cabin except in one very important dimension, length.  With its six additional feet, this meant passengers sitting in the Hondajet’s club seating would not be touching knees like in the Phenom. One could argue that it may be time to put both Carenado’s and Embraer’s real Phenom 100s out to pasture (at least production wise for Embraer.)

But what if it isn’t……………………………?

Pheonix2_zpsy6aw7y41.jpg

Look closer at this picture and the other Phenom picture at the top of this post.  Other than the really cool livery by Pascal Kuffer, it's just another Phenom 100 right?  What if things aren't always the way they seem?  What if (like art) all you need is a different perspective. One in which your attention is directed not at the larger picture, but down to the smaller more minute details?  What if that is the only way you could truly see what's really in front of you? 

Pheonix3_zps4zehei1e.jpg

Let’s close our eyes and use our imaginations for a bit…..(Ok keep them open so you can keep reading this but you know what I mean).... Imagine a Phenom 100 like no other before.  Imagine it could fly further, faster and higher then both the E and EV.  In fact what if it could cruise fast enough to make the Hondas speed advantage only an advantage on 1000+ mile legs? What if it could cruise at the same Maximum altitude as the Hondajet (43000ft vs 41000 for the legacy aircraft.) What if it even had a higher MTOW than the Hondajet? All this while still maintaining its short field performance advantage over the Civic maker?  What if it not only regained its crown back from the Honda, it snatched it back for the utter disrespect?  What if it dethroned the Honda by doing exactly what Honda did to it, use its own strengths against it…………………………...

(In this case) its engines.

What I give you is a rabid wolf in sheep's clothing.   It's called the Black Phoenix Phenom 100E mod (aka Phoenix 100E aka Phenom 100E Black).  This is a fictional upgrade of the Carenado Phenom 100 to a Phenom 100E with Honda/GE HF-120 engines installed. Don’t believe me? Look at the engine fan cone in the picture below…………….

Pheonix4_zpsiyujtg3h.jpg

It's kind of hard to see it.........but then there is also this......

Pheonix5_zpsbashlapo.jpg

(Look on the front of the engine nacelle right below the horizontal lines of screws…………😉)

Unlike the Hondajet, these are not derrated to 1997lbs of thrust.  No, in this bird you get their full 2050lbs of static thrust (each)…..That's before the MCT Enhance mode engages (more on that later). 

Just like the CJ2+ mod, this mod isn’t just a New Engine Option tweak to an air file and aircraft config file with the GTN slapped in the VC.  No, there’s so much more (even more than what I included in the CJ2+)!  For instance, look closer at the landing light.

Pheonix6_zpsmokzkyen.jpg

lets get in a little closer......

Pheonix7_zps7zldawrc.jpg

Better view of the engine fan cone...........

phenom100LEDlandinglights_zpsrk2aq1xb.jp

Be honest would you have ever noticed the all new LED assembly inside it had I not pointed it out?  This after all is a very important feature as now the “landing” light toggle switch position is the “Pulse/recognition” landing light setting (The taxi position is used for both Landing and Taxi lighting now)……

So why is it called Black Phoenix anyways?  Well from this point on all my mods will be Black Phoenix Mods (see the Phoenix on the side of the plane behind the “Phenom 100E” titling? 😉).  We all know the significance of the mythical bird.  Well just like the Phoenix, I plan to use various mods like this to bring some of these Carenado aircraft that are probably dead in most of your hangars back to life,only better than they were before.  As far as the Black part of it, well that is my Homage to one of the coolest names in the Automotive industry…the Mercedes AMG Black Series.

But I digress how about we have a look inside………………….

Pheonix8_zpsfkeym0ob.jpg

The first thing that you will probably notice is that the Black Phoenix has been embroidered on all of the head rests in the aircraft including the one in the flight deck…..

Pheonix11_zpsn83xjyst.jpg

about that flight deck????

Pheonix20_zpsrdd98xet.jpg

Something looks different.......

Pheonix10_zpsymiypfzm.jpg

Obviously, there is no longer a GCU (I couldn’t remove the two knobs as they are part of the VC model)…….But did you also notice the MFD looks different too?  If not, let’s just say maintenance can’t swap it with the PFDs for trouble shooting purposes any longer.  Plus who needs all those extra buttons when the MFD is now a touchscreen anyway 😉

So do I have your attention?   Because now it gets good......Lets power her up!

Pheonix12_zpscctpukhs.jpg

A picture worth a thousand words……………What caught your attention first?  The PFD boot screens or the MFD’s?  (oh it gets better)………

Pheonix13_zps9odpsjtf.jpg

What good is one GTN 750 when you can have two…………..but where did the engine gauges go??? (keep reading)…………

Pheonix14_zpspri9e0iw.jpg

Cabin lighting looks good on those Phoenix headrests………  It just sucks that it’s such a rainy day though.

Pheonix15_zpsromwyxcg.jpg

…….or does it………….

Pheonix16_zpsakijdauu.jpg

Wait a minute???.............Is that a......!?!      (Let me turn the Gain setting down then you tell me……………. 😉)

Pheonix17_zpsdurxisex.jpg

Pheonix18_zpswkeh9tme.jpg

One of the things I hate about modifying Carenado’s G1000s to the GTNs is that you lose the weather radar.  Well Thanks to Roland this mod will include a weather radar that works EXPONENTIALLY better than the one Carenado included.  It includes sweep, gain control, tilt, icing, and 10-80 nm range selections…All this for the low price of FREE. 99 (with an additional .99 discount!)   BUT there’s a catch…..First, this weather gauge only works with ASN.  There is another version Roland has made that will also work with AS16.  I have not tested it but I feel it should work fine…….  Rex or other weather engine users sorry……The other catch which isn’t really one honestly, is if this mod is released the gauge will not be included.  You will need to download it from Roland’s AVSIM link (his only stipulation in granting permission to use it.)  That will be in the install instructions and is honestly a small price to pay for a gauge that easily rivals the weather radar gauges included in PMDG and other higher end payware aircraft!

Pheonix20_zpsrdd98xet.jpg

Wait what…………..did the GPU just die????  That’s ok that gives me an excuse to jump over to Teterboro and Telluride so I can show off some of the other features included……………….(yup there’s more)……….and just how much her performance has improved!

End Part 1……………………………(But what about those engine gauges……..?)  😊

Phoenix36_zpsfcrgpskl.jpg

So what do you guys think???  Should I make this mod available to the community???  Well before you decide stay tuned for Part II......

References:

This mod incorporates elements from @Jiri Kocman awesome original Phenom 100 GTN mod

Hondajet engine pic from  Here

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Jevon 

Absolutely!

Quite a write up, very nicely done  as well!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Absolute RELEASE !!!   You have outdone your own wonderful CJ2+.... Congrats now on all the remaining laurels coming your way :biggrin: 👀 🎖️

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

2 hours ago, vcarlo said:

Absolute RELEASE !!!   You have outdone your own wonderful CJ2+.... Congrats now on all the remaining laurels coming your way :biggrin: 👀 🎖️

This coming from one of the first to request the CJ2+ mod from me really means a lot!  Thanks.

@DaveCT2003 Sorry Ive always been long winded 🙃  Thanks for reading it all!

• Like 2

Jevon 

49 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Wow!  That is truly amazing!

It's about to get even better in Part II.  Im really excited what this bird can do now!

• Upvote 2

Jevon 

Well, in the past I always steered clear of the Phenom. But your mod lets me rethink about buying that bird...

4 hours ago, jencas said:

Well, in the past I always steered clear of the Phenom. But your mod lets me rethink about buying that bird...

Sir, and that is what I hope to do ultimately.  I won't get a single dollar from Carenado, but what better compliment to my work if their Phenom sales increase because of my free modification for it 🙃

This mod completely transforms the way she performs.  Ill dive into that a little more in Part II....

Edited by Novej757
  • Like 2

Jevon 

PART II

Pheonix21_zpsuhs1naiy.jpg

Now that you’ve been properly introduced to the “Phoenix 100E”, let’s look at some of her additional capabilities.  The east coast of the US was recently pummeled by snow storm after snow storm.  So imagine your pax decided,  “why not lets fly into Teterboro!”  They quickly realized that was a terrible idea and decide to leave. Signature FBO would love to charge you for a heater cart and Ground Power Unit.  But in these conditions good luck getting them anytime soon.  That’s ok because this Phenom doesn’t need them.  

Embraer recently introduced Ground Power Mode on their real world Phenom 300Es.  Ground power mode is nothing more than an engine (usually the right one since the cabin door is on the left) running at idle being used like an APU.  I mention the door because yes it can even be run while passengers are embarking and disembarking!  Side note the PC-24 also incorporates this technology, however it takes it one step further by implementing a Quiet Mode…..which idles the running engine even lower than its standard idle….Our Phenom doesn’t have Quiet mode but it does have Ground Power Mode!

Pheonix22_zpsdfboodgb.jpg

In Part 1 I showed you the boot up screens. This time here are the PFD test screens and GTN data screens.  (This [and all of my] aircraft were recently upgraded with F1’s newest GTN complete series GTN 750s with STAR Vnav capabilities…..Its currently being tested)

Pheonix23_zpsnhcqs0qo.jpg

Everything all powered up using battery power…..Look at the size of that snow….

Real quick digress. Now you may have noticed this update has a Phenom 100E reference.  The E (or Enhanced) version as mentioned in Part I was an update of the base model 100 with improved engine power, cabin updates and most importantly spoilers capable of raising to 35 degrees on the wings for flight and landings.   This Phenom has now been equipped with working Spoilers too (which is why it is a 100E 😉)

Pheonix24_zpsvyg82ddh.jpg

Spoilers Closed….

Pheonix25_zpsye65gmc5.jpg

Spoilers activated.  In flight activation changes this notification to “SPDBRK”  The spoiler effects do work in this aircraft even though the panels themselves are not physically modeled (I can’t access the 3d model but even if I could I don’t know a thing about how to do that LOL)  So if you need to dive at -2500-3500ft while maintaining a certain speed its now A LOT easier to manage when you put the “brakes out!”  In the next picture, the orange arrow is pointing to the new speed brake toggle switch.  The default “/” key command still works too.  However, you cannot arm them)……..Now back to our regularly scheduled program….

Phoenix26a_zpsuuxwh5dq.jpg

Let’s get #2 turning ASAP!

Pheonix26_zpsph8wofdb.jpg

Once Engine #2 is stable at 27% N1, simply switch the number 2 Generator into Auto.  And that’s it……..

Pheonix27_zpsvhtxxtnr.jpg

CAS message verifies we are in Ground Power Mode.  Now we can turn on some heat!

Pheonix28_zpsefwodrw1.jpg

With Ground Power Mode engaged we can power everything else on just as if there was a GPU hooked up outside, (or an APU inside.)  Note the ECS, Pressurization controls, Cabin temp selectors and fans and flight deck lighting are now all on.  Even more important note that they are all on with the Cabin door still open.  We will have some happy pax climbing into this bird despite the weather outside! (weather radar on just to show virtually every system can be run in Ground Power Mode)

Pheonix29_zpsbd9mju46.jpg

Pax are aboard all warm and toasty, cabin door shut.  Turning #1 in Ground Power Mode…..(still displayed in CAS)

Pheonix30_zpsqqj882yx.jpg

Once engine #1 stabilizes Ground Power Mode automatically kicks off.  At this point the generators perform as they normally would.

We experience another new feature on the CAS during climbing out………."ICE CONDITION"

Pheonix31_zpsapnmcaid.jpg

Why we took off in the first place with out DE-ICE in this weather…….?  This new ice detection system is a little more sensitive then the one I included in the CJ2+

Pheonix32_zpsv8utz5d3.jpg

Once the De-ice system does it’s job the CAS indication is removed.

We quickly reach our cruise altitude of 43,000ft…….We can usually get up there at MTOW in 25-28 mins.  Depending on winds.  Lighter TOWs obviously mean she’ll get up there much faster.  Oh why I’m talking about it, this bird uses a 210/ mach .55 climb schedule.   However, I find 210/mach .58-.60 to be totally acceptable.  High speed climbs can also be done on a 230/ .55 schedule (obviously that will affect the climb times).

Pheonix33_zps8pekwjax.jpg

Pheonix33a_zps3z2fxwrp.jpg

Note the Cabin Altitude reading under the PFD engine status, "6300ft".  Yup at 43,000ft!   We no longer use the default 8000ft cabin altitude pressure.  The lower cabin altitude pressure helps alleviate jet lag and helps our pax  and us arrive more refreshed at their destinations.  For kicks we pick up a 122k tailwind from the jetstream (I had real weather loaded in ASN this day.)  Check out our Ground speed (sheesh)!  This little plane should not be capable of flying this FAST at this altitude, yet here she is….. Notice we are still "only" cruising at Mach 0.71 😄

Pheonix34_zpsiyvnpy01.jpg 

You are probably curious just what kind of performance enhancements you can expect with these little Honda Engines.  Well here’s a few examples of what I’ve observed so far:

• SHE CAN COMFORTABLY CRUISE AT FL430 AT MAX MACH .720·        
  • THESE ENGINES ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF OVERSPEEDING HER AT PRETTY MUCH ANY ALT.  MACH .071 IS OBSERVED TO AVOID MACH TUCK (AND ISAMORE EFFICIENT CRUISE).  MACH .072 IS THE NEW DO NOT EXCEED
  • SINGLE ENGINE VR CUTS WERE PERFORMED AT MTOW AT LA PAZs EL ALTO AIRPORT WITH REAL WORLD WEATHER CONDITIONS IN ASN.  IM NOT GOING TO LIE IT WAS SCARY.  I’VE DECIDED WHEN TAKING OFF FROM THIS AIRPORT NO FLAPS CAN BE USED.  THEY CREATE A TON OF LIFT BUT IN THAT ENVIRONMENT THEY ALSO CREATE TOO MUCH DRAG.  SHE FLEW THE PATTERN, THE HOLD FOR FUEL BURN AND APPROACH AND LANDING FLAWLESSLY
  • ENGINE CUTS WERE ALSO PERFORMED AT LA PAZ.  EACH ENGINE WAS SHUT DOWN ONE AT A TIME AT FL310 .  AFTER DRIFT DOWN THEY KEPT THE AIRCRAFT FLYING STRAIGHT AND LEVEL AT FL270.  I THINK FL250 WILL BE MAXIMUM SAFE SINGLE ENGINE OPERATING ALTITUDE JUST SO THERE IS A SAFETY BUFFER
  • MTOW IS NOW 10900LBS
  • SHE CAN TAKEOFF FROM KTEX AT THAT WEIGHT EVEN IN 70oF TEMPS AND CLIMB DIRECT TO FL430
  • RANGE STILL NEEDS FURTHER TESTING BEFORE A CONCRETE NUMBER CAN BE GIVEN.  I HAVE SEEN AS HIGH AS 1600NM IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS.   SHE DID FLY 4A4 (4000FT RUNWAY) TO MKJS, MKJS TO SKBO, SKBO TO SPJC AND SPJC TO LA PAZ TAKEING OFF AT MTOW FROM EACH WITH NO ISSUES (ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGH ALT AIRPORT ENVIORNMENTS)  WHAT I CAN SAY CONFIDENTLY IS SHE CAN CARRY A LOT MORE WEIGHT FURTHER THAN THE BASE PHENOM 100 EVER COULD😎

In Part III we head to Telluride where we will explore the new “MCT Enhance” automatic thrust mode and the new thrust settings I've incorporated……………

Are you interested yet????

Edited by Novej757
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jevon 

That is quite an impressive presentation of your work! Interested? You bet! 

I mod a few aircraft/panels myself but nothing close to this...

Looking forward to part III...

cheers,

Greg 

• Like 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

2 hours ago, Chocorua said:

That is quite an impressive presentation of your work! Interested? You bet! 

I mod a few aircraft/panels myself but nothing close to this...

Looking forward to part III...

cheers,

Greg 

I started off just like you, just doing a few little things here and there mainly for myself.  I got brave and shared some of my work with the community not really expecting much.  Boy was I wrong!  My first official release was actually just a repaint. I have quite a few for the Qualitywings 787 here on Avsim now.  I guess you can say I'm kind of addicted to peoples reactions to my work now as that's drove me to continue expanding my creations 🤭

I'm a mechanical engineering senior in college, so technical writing is one of my fortes......Its really hard to shorten things like this when I have soooo much information to share.  It's a gift and a curse 😭

• Upvote 1

Jevon 

Having read PART I and PART II, am anxiously awaiting your next post.  I have reinstalled my Carenado Phenom 100... :biggrin:

Haven't flown her since P3D 4.3.  I did a full P3D reinstall with v 4.4.  I've always used the GTN mods from Bert, but this time I'm gonna let her sit in the 4.4 hangar with a "vanilla" coating until you release the 100 E Phoenix !! :wub:

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

2 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Having read PART I and PART II, am anxiously awaiting your next post.  I have reinstalled my Carenado Phenom 100... :biggrin:

Haven't flown her since P3D 4.3.  I did a full P3D reinstall with v 4.4.  I've always used the GTN mods from Bert, but this time I'm gonna let her sit in the 4.4 hangar with a "vanilla" coating until you release the 100 E Phoenix !! :wub:

Ohhh no so much pressure. 😄  The plane itself is about 95-98% complete but cleaning up all my test code and all the different versions of the textures I modified is actually going to be the most work.  Furthermore, I then have to create a way for ONLY this aircraft to utilize all the modified files, without your regular Phenom 100s trying to pull from the same source since they are all currently common files.  And that's not even talking about all the different variations of the mod the installation instructions will have to cover!  (eg I'm planning on adding the 650 screen to the MFD for those with the F1 GTN complete package.)  Then I have to have instructions for people with ASN and some for people with AS16....... All that to say, its going to be  A  LOT of work to package her up for you all.  That's why I'm trying to see how much interest she will garner first.

Jevon 

My little baby Phenom has always been my 'Go to' for a good few years now, and what you're doing here is filling in the Carenado gaps in an open, collaborative way. Superb effort dude bringing one of the benefits of the X-Plane way of doing things, but, as we all know, with the better immersion and maturity that P3D already has right now.

Can't wait !!

Thanks for bringing this alive.

8 hours ago, Novej757 said:

Ohhh no so much pressure. 😄  ...

That's why I'm trying to see how much interest she will garner first.

Count me in, awesome job! Couple questions: 1. You mentioned ASN now for Roland's wx radar and AS16 coming. What about ASP4? 2. Would I be able to substitute the RXP GTN 750?

Don't let finals get in your way 🤣

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11