BMW969

P3D v4.5 FPS down

have seen Robs table for Vram and memory and not bad cant say the same for me

Vram for me with 4.5 JV settings very modest  No weather 30hz refresh rate and vsync on

Orbx TrueEarth at Southampton EGHI DA62 no weather 

Ram 12.4

Vram 7

start flying and this rises 

My system has 16gig of ram and a RTX 2080 hence my concern

Did go back to 4.4 yesterday and condiderably lower but have not got figures at least 3 gig lower

FTX England at Southampton EGHI DA62 no weather 

Ram 6.2 gig

vram 3.2

True earth certainly hates 4.5 reposting this in P3D forum

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Let's keep this topic constructive, I don't want a flame war about XP please, do that on a different topic if you wish.

We are having enough trouble to focus people into reporting correctly please.

Back on topic, Rob Ainscough, Pete D., Me and others are discussing internally via LM beta forums.

The rest please follow Rob testing techniques and report to LM.

Regards 

Simbol 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Back to 4.4 difference is 15 + FPS loss with v4.5, but also the allocated memory VRAM and ram are concerning and also the culprit (memory starvation) ...

Looks like a memory leak with ORBX and the added autogen density 😉 

So 4.4 (ORBX TE NL and Flytampa EHAM and FSL) 44 + fps (and flying to UK TE GEB south the committed memory is around 14 GB and allocated RAM 7,5 GB is used )

So 4.5 (ORBX TE NL and Flytampa EHAM and FSL) 24+  fps (and flying to UK TE GEB south the committed memory is around 30 GB and allocated RAM 16 GB is all used 😲)

Edited by awf
  • Upvote 1

I did a search, but I haven't seen any reference to this:

Can anyone test to see if speedtrees turns on/off when you toggle "Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation" in the World Options in P3D settings.

On my rig, the toggle does not have any effect and speedtrees are always used regardless of the toggle.

2 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

I did a search, but I haven't seen any reference to this:

Can anyone test to see if speedtrees turns on/off when you toggle "Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation" in the World Options in P3D settings.

On my rig, the toggle does not have any effect and speedtrees are always used regardless of the toggle.

you need to restart the sim for that change to take effect

2 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

you need to restart the sim for that change to take effect

GAH!  You're right, of course!  Should have known better!  😆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.02
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160

I appologize in andvance for suggesting this. But it helped on my system (singel 4k monitor).

I use Track IR and got better panning quality in v4.5 even when frames occasional go down by about 4-6 frames under 33 in some cases. Despite the frames I like the overall experience. Hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the tip, I am on a single monitor, so will give this a go.  I do find a smoother experience when switching views as well in 4.5.

First, apologies for my poor English.
I join the club affected by 4.5
I lose around 15 to 20 fps in EDDM, with 777 PMDG, ORBX base, vector and LC Europe, and with Active Sky.
i7 6700k@4.50, 16gb ram, 1080ti. TV 4k.
I hope to be helpful.
regards

Same here, 4.4 runs way better in terms of FPS.

Sitting in the FSL 320 cockpit at BOS (FlyTampa) 22R with AS current WX...

4.5: ~21 - 25 FPS

4.4: ~30 - 35 FPS

Actually P3d 4.5 runs very well on my system

8086k 5.1 ghz 
1080TI
latest Win 10 1803
16 GB RAM

Orbx Global and a few regions installed ( NCA PNW) 

LOD RADIUS at max
High definition terrain textures enabled
Autogen draw distance High
Building autogen at dense
Veg autogen at dense

No .cfg tweaks

FPS are maybe down a few here and there, but just flew the update FSL Bus around KSEA and holding 30+ FPS steady. With DD Seattle Airports FPS are even higher.
However , I did notice around KSFO with Orbx NCA that the FPS were down big time(from 35 to low 20s) . I then played around with the Orbx NCA control panel and deactivated all marinas, marine navigation lights and marine objects.
FPS were back to normal after that

Also tried some other airports like Aerosoft Mega Frankfurt with everything enabled and FPS are more or less the same as 4.4. Tested with NGX

Perhaps there are some scenery objects here and there that are causing this.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, planechaser said:

8086k 5.1 ghz 
1080TI
latest Win 10 1803
16 GB RAM

Orbx Global and a few regions installed ( NCA PNW) 

LOD RADIUS at max
High definition terrain textures enabled
Autogen draw distance High
Building autogen at dense
Veg autogen at dense

No .cfg tweaks

FPS are maybe down a few here and there, but just flew the update FSL Bus around KSEA and holding 30+ FPS steady. With DD Seattle Airports FPS are even higher.
However , I did notice around KSFO with Orbx NCA that the FPS were down big time(from 35 to low 20s) . I then played around with the Orbx NCA control panel and deactivated all marinas, marine navigation lights and marine objects.
FPS were back to normal after that

Also tried some other airports like Aerosoft Mega Frankfurt with everything enabled and FPS are more or less the same as 4.4. Tested with NGX

Perhaps there are some scenery objects here and there that are causing this.

I think it depends a lot of how many detailed scenery you have installed in the area you fly. And of course, the a/c plays a role.

I have made some flights with A2A C172 in the ORBX PNW area around KFHR. I have all FTX airports of this area installed. It is almost not flyable ...

Example: KFHR T/O from  RW 16 (21 fps) gives heavy stutters and fps goes down on right turn. After a while, when flying North fps goes up 30 but goes down again (15 fps) when I'm approaching KORS from North. All this with moderate settings. Before with 4.5 I had 25 to 30 fps at each situation in this area, even with much higher settings.

I consider to roll-back to 4.4.  🙁

Edited by Nemo

1 hour ago, planechaser said:

....LOD RADIUS at max...

I was playing around and found that my vram usage was very low. I set LOD radius to max and it seems to have brought things back in line with what I had in v4.4. Not sure if this was "the" fix, but I'm much better off than when I started.

2 hours ago, planechaser said:

I did notice around KSFO with Orbx NCA that the FPS were down big time(from 35 to low 20s) 

This is strange. This is my testbed and I made a before-after test using the very same situation sitting on RWY 28R. Before I had 31 fps, after 29,5 fps. No settings changed inbetween. This is FB KSFO with ORBX NCA in the background.Test done after Client only update and once more after updating the other two modules with the same result.

On the other hand, my fps dropped from 37 to 27 at EDDT in GEN.

I suspect we have some different settings or hardware or software environment causing the difference.

Kind regards Michael

On 4/13/2019 at 12:53 PM, Barnes said:

v4.4 running with an average of 43.2 FPS and temps fluctuating in around the 40-50 degree C mark.

v4.5 running with an average of 35.6 FPS and no signifiacant difference in temps. Sitting on runway, CPU is loaded to about 45% and showing no signs of throttling down. RAM using 7.6 of 16GB. GPU loaded to about 40% and using 4 of 8 GB of VRAM.

Hi 

could you confirm that your processor's speed is the same in P3D 4.4 and P3D 4.5 ? 

Been using Orbx base+vector+all the open lc scenery and tons of add on airport scenery's.My4.5 is as smooth as baby powder. I have all the orbx regions and netherlands,when i  install one of them my 4.5 looses all it's smoothness.SO FOR NOW, i have parked them all in the hanger,The money i have spent on all those regions are NOW USELESS. 

19 minutes ago, kurtb said:

The money i have spent on all those regions are NOW USELESS. 

Just go back to 4.4 client until L-M get it fixed.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So SO glad I waited and stayed on 4.4.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, netshadoe said:

edit

Edited by ErichB

Guys, did you port over your prepar3d.cfg tweaks from 4.4? I realized that I ported over the shadow tweak from Rob Ainscough regarding those two parameters:

OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=

Back in v4.4, I used a value of 4096 for both resulting in super crisp shadows around my plane (scenery, jetways etc.) as well as in the VC. With v4.5, this setting kills my FPS, when cloud shadows were ticked. I lost about 20FPS (!!). Going down to 1024 instead does not harm performance and I can maintain my locked FPS in situations I got only 10-12FPS with 4096. So far, I can not say how this affects the quality of the shadwos, not enough testing done.

BUT: it might be helpful for some with a huge FPS loss in v4.5: check again if you have any leftovers from v4.4 that might simply not work anymore in v4.5 or only with a huge performance impact. Tweaks you might have forgotten due to the fact that they had neglible impact in v4.4. Of course, if your FPS loss is also with a brand new v4.5 prepar3d.cfg, this is of no use to you. On the other hand, this example illustrates that something fundamental changed from v4.4 to v4.5. Otherwise a 20FPS loss using the same tweak is hardly explainable. My guess (until I can proof or neglect it): they improved the shadow drawing quality as such that using above tweak results in an overkill or, the VRAM need increased so drastically with v4.5, that my 11 gig 1080Ti can not sustain increased shadow resolution anymore.

25 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Guys, did you port over your prepar3d.cfg tweaks from 4.4? I realized that I ported over the shadow tweak from Rob Ainscough regarding those two parameters:

Hi Chris,

Many users have deleted entirely the prepar3d.cfg file and the problem persist, so it is not this.

Also if you read Rob Ainscough findings on LM forums you will see that full clean installs are having this issue.

Regards,
S. 

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Just go back to 4.4 client until L-M get it fixed.

Pete

Exactly at 4.4 here and happy 🙂

OK, on the weekend I installed 4.5 client again and did some testing. So far it seems I only get the FPS drop with ORBX Germany.

I have ORBX FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC Europe and NA, Germany North & South, Norway; i7-8700K, 1080Ti.

I did a direct FPS comparison of v4.4 and v4.5 for two scenarios, at Aerosoft EDDF and FlyTampa KBOS, default aircraft, just sitting on ground. For each I tried once with my normal config, once with autogen disabled, and once with ORBX GEN/GES disabled in scenery library.
At KBOS I always got comparable FPS in v4.4 and v4.5.
At EDDF I got 30-40% less FPS with v4.5 and GEN/GES enabled (also with autogen off), but about same FPS with GEN/GES disabled.

I also found that it's sufficient to disable the SCENERY entries only for GEN/GES to get back FPS (removes buildings, windparks, etc., but keeps terrain). I then did several takeoffs and landings in v4.5 with that setting and PMDG 747-8, and found performance very smooth.
I also did a bad weather approach into KBOS with PMDG 747-400 where in v4.4 FPS went down to 22, got the same 22 FPS in v4.5.

Finally I did one approach to EDDK with GEN/GES enabled, FPS was much lower than in v4.4, but I noticed less long frames than in v4.4.

yesterday i flown from orbx LEBB and UK2000 EGCC with the last update A320X fslabs, with P3D 4.5

I use a strong laptop with core I9 but medium GC GTX1070, so my setting are not push to extreme

I use too unlimited fps because in my case P3D run better

So take off and cruise without problem, i use last AS16 revision with setting set to realism mode, frame are between 30/40 fps with some trafic

fly over france (orbx addon global, vector and LC) seems to be prety good but when i approach FTX england coast fps start to down, and approch EGCC Runway 05r fps down to 15/18

the worst thing was during flare, a 3or 4 second freeze and the plane landing near a crash -408 FT/min

that's why all my regions are safely packed away😁😁😁