mr340

Does anyone use Track IR anymore ?

4 hours ago, mr340 said:

know with all VR function in P3D V4 many might have stop using  Track IR ,

Unfortunately, the state of consumer VR  technology is such that market penetration is still low. A few consumer VR headsets have finally been announced for 2019 that have a pixels/degree resolution that would at least allow one to more easily read VC gauges. 

TrackIR combined with a 4k monitor is still the best option at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

3 hours ago, andreh said:

it's now outdated tech, mostly. 

Eh? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I always use it. Once you have your profile set up correctly to your own taste and your camera in the right spot its great. I have the TIR mounted to the top of the main screen.

• Like 1

I always use my Track-IR Pro with P3D and for other games like Elite Dangerous that can work with it too.  If it broke, I'd get another one even.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I always fly with TrackIR (earlier v4, now v5) and I can't imagine simming without it. I use airliners 99% of time.
I tried, just out of curiosity, not to use it and stick with a hat switch, but the difference was undescribable.

Since I purchased Chaseplane, I have used it together with TrackIR successfully. I have TiR enabled in the captain view only. My favourite way of simming now.
For me the ability to move my head to look around, get closer, look back and up/down instead of using a hat switch and/or a mouse is the closest to reality I have experienced.

I have tried VR (two folks I know have it) but I didn't like it at all.
So, for me, long live TrackIR! 🙂

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 3

Wouldn't fly without it. Just makes everything natural to me.

Vic

• Like 3

Agreed, won’t fly without it. A must have along with Chaseplane.

• Like 2

I have always used Trackir for many years (fs9). It is the less expensive and more immersive at the same time.
VR is more immersive than Trackir but much more expensive.
Remember that each user is different and does not react the same way with Tir or VR. Some people are sick or not.(Internal ear)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Eh? :huh:

... If one has moved on to VR, that is. Otherwise, I suppose it's not 

For those that don't like it with airliners, you do know you can adjust the field of view, speed, and a number of other parameters till you are satisfied with the view don't you? 

Originally learning to set it up can be a bit daunting but once you do it it's no problem.

I have one setting that works with all my flying as well as both ETS2 and ATS.

I won't give mine up and I have the hat clip as I don't wear a headset.

• Like 2

Always use it - it’s great with my three monitor setup. Recently I purchased Chaseplane and it’s enhanced my experience.

I use it with the hat clip, so easy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 188AHC said:

I won't give mine up and I have the hat clip as I don't wear a headset.

I use mine with a hairband.  :)

black-plastic-narrow-hairband-10-per-pac

• Like 2

No since I started to use CP.

I still use TrackIR. I don't sim without it. I'd love a viable VR experience, but it doesn't seem to eb the time to make the jump for me as I do not think technology is good enough. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bought tir years ago and never got comfortable with it, and than switched 2 years ago to Oculus and for me VR was a game changer. Since then I never started TIR again. Also use it with asseto Corsa and ETS2 and never want to use these games without it anymore.

Edited by Labbi85

Posted (edited)

Hi guys some of these comments about track ir  makes me want to give it a try once again . I will see if my eyes  won't hurt . Do you guys use any particular setting with track ir to make it more smooth ?

Edited by mr340

4 minutes ago, mr340 said:

Hi guys some of these comments about track ir  makes me want to give it a try once again . I will see if my eyes  won't hurt . Do you guys use any particular setting with track ir to make it more smooth ?

I use the “Seth” (I think 😜) profile from the TIR site, it’s a great base point to start with and make minor adjustments to suit your needs, hope this helps.

• Like 2

I will not fly without it regardless of the aircraft. After solving a recent problem with unwanted room reflections, it is back to being smooth, steady and natural. I use the cordless "TrackClip" for it's unrestrictive convenience.

With a 55 inch curved screen 4K monitor and high performance it is the very next best thing to reality in my opinion. Other than some future version of VR, I don't know how the experience could be equalled without it.

Each to his (or her) own, but Track IR still makes it "as good as it gets" for me since FS9 days.

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I tried using tack IR for a while but just could never get used to it. It’s hard to explain but it made me focus too much on my head movements and didn’t add anything to my simming experience, in fact made it worse for me. However, saying that to each their own and am not knocking the product.

Chaseplane and the middle “mouse button to pan” works a charm and have no issues with that system.

P.S I only fly airliners, I’d imagine it to be more beneficial for GA flying.

Edited by flyinpilot212121
Because I don’t proofread before hitting submit :-/
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

I will not fly without it regardless of the aircraft. After solving a recent problem with unwanted room reflections, it is back to being smooth, steady and natural. I use the cordless "TrackClip" for it's unrestrictive convenience.

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

Thank you Stephen , I will give it try tomorrow . 

1 minute ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I tried using tack IR for a while but just could never get used to it. It’s hard to explain but it made me focus too much on my head movements and don’t add anything to my swimming experience, in fact made it worse for me. However, saying that to each their own and am not knocking the product.

Chaseplane and the middle mouse button to pan works a charm and have no issues with that system.

P.S I only fly airliners, I’d imagine it to be more beneficial for GA flying.

I understand exactly how you feel . But I manage to overcome that experience in the past by enable precision mode in track ir . What I miss about track ir is being able to look left or right when crossing a RWY flying on vatsim . Using the mouse for me it makes it slower . Like today flying from KJFK with very low visibility I kind of lost track of what turn atc told me to take, using track ir in this case would have result in better visual awareness . I will give it a try tomorrow and see if I can adapt to it once again. 

• Upvote 1

I also use the seth profile. As far as settings go, to me, the most important is to map the F9 and F12 key to a rocker o the yoke. Makes it a split second to center and/or disable/enable TIR. That way you don't have to hold your head still. Flick the rocker and look around to find a switch, flick it again to freeze the view - click the switch or whatever - flickon again and center. Takes much longer to explain than to do. Once you get the hang of it you can look all the way around you quickly.

Vic

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I still use it but my TCP is duct taped together.  That thing is poorly manufactured.  I mainly use it with GA and I use it in XP11 and P3D.  I think it's most useful in the traffic pattern.  I'm hesitant to get into VR as it's a one man deal (hard to have people watch you hah) and it's too low res for me.

I too use the Seth - Flight profile.  One more thing about TIR it's important to have a pause button.  I am that all the time.  To zoom up and look at something and hold the view for a second (usually helpful with a small clickspot)

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I also use the seth profile. As far as settings go, to me, the most important is to map the F9 and F12 key to a rocker o the yoke. Makes it a split second to center and/or disable/enable TIR. That way you don't have to hold your head still. Flick the rocker and look around to find a switch, flick it again to freeze the view - click the switch or whatever - flickon again and center. Takes much longer to explain than to do. Once you get the hang of it you can look all the way around you quickly.

Vic

That is right Vic. I should have mentioned the centering and freezing switches also. Once you realize that it is exactly the same as real life when you get used to the idea that it exaggerates the head movement so that you can look to the left, right, up and down without your eyes actually leaving the monitor.

When flying my QW787 I only freeze the view to set up the flight and tune the numbers on the  instruments, but the rest of the time I am scanning instruments, looking out the windows or scanning the overhead or pedestal as natural as if I was there. If a co-pilot was there I would turn to speak or crack jokes to him or her too (alas, but they not).

It is natural and replicates all the hard wired way we think, act and handle machinery. We are not computers but "different" people in make believe cockpits. We have mastered skills we will likely never use other than meeting some special need each of us have in this unique world we share together.

It's a kind of wonderful and made all the more so by plucking me out of my chair in front of a huge TV and plunking me in the left hand seat of anything I want to fly, anywhere I want to fly it, whenever I want. Other than eating strawberry shortcake at Dairy Queen, it doesn't get better than that!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I still use it but my TCP is duct taped together.  That thing is poorly manufactured.  I mainly use it with GA and I use it in XP11 and P3D.  I think it's most useful in the traffic pattern.  I'm hesitant to get into VR as it's a one man deal (hard to have people watch you hah) and it's too low res for me

I have to agree about the TCP being flimsy. Mine was taped together for a while but I eventually stripped it and used one side of the unit with new leds attached to a headset permanently. It takes the hassle of headset moving all the time.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Mine is very smooth, but this has to do with placement of the camera as well light sensativity settings and the overall profile you set up.  Once you have those nailed down (pretty easy) then you're all set!

Same experience for as long as TIR existed, one needs to work a bit on the correct setup and once it's done, forget it for good!

I am using the TIR detectors clipped on the side on my headphones which I utilise for MCE, so no need to wear a hat in my basement...! My setup includes a projector showing a life-size cockpit image, so doing without TIR would kill the immersion. 

One last piece of advice, make sure you "map" at least 1 TIR key on your yoke: "Freeze". That will become handy whenever you need to focus on a particular area of your panels and make sure you hit the right button.

Although I know these warnings are both unpleasant and usually ignored by new tech enthusiasts, has anyone given any thoughts about the eye strain generated by VR equipment with a screen located so close to one's eyes? Next time you see him, ask your ophthalmologist.

Edited by Jean-Claude
  • Like 2