mr340

Does anyone use Track IR anymore ?

I know with all VR function in P3D V4 many might have stop using  Track IR , but I still find the need to use my track ir again on certain flights . For those using Track IR have you notice any improvement? What have you done to make your Track IR experience more enjoyable ? 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't think I will ever go VR. If the day arrives when only VR support becomes available, I'll drop these flight simulation games and stick to ELITE...

About 1,5 yrs ago my TIR broke too. I missed it because I was then actively playing IL2 Battle of Stalingrad and DCS World, but with time I got used to the good-old collie hat, mouse, ... It worked ok.

3 weeks ago I ordered EdTracker, am using it with Opentrack free software, and very satisfied. It works great in P3D and work ok too in XP11, and in IL2.

For around 1/5th of the price, I'm served, and don't depend on a camera, hence do not ave the usual window daylight problems I used to have with TIR.

• Like 1

I bought one a couple months ago and don't know if I would recommend it. I find it kind of twitchy and bothers my eyes. I fly primarily jet liners and just as easy panning around with the mouse and hat switch. Taxiing is about the only time I use it. Kind of an expensive toy IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PATCO LCH said:

I find it kind of twitchy and bothers my eyes.

Same here. I finally gave up on it and don't miss it at all. Chaseplane is completely satisfactory for my viewpoint needs...

Russ

I use it quite often even nowadays but depends on what flying. Usually when on airliners I leave it off. Literally you don't need it there that much cause of the style of flight. But when real flying is on the list like throwing a T6 around Reno racing online with our VA pilots or on GA on short scenic hops and tight small fields where you really benefit from it I really still appreciate it. But as most stuff in our great hobby very subjective. Btw I did not tweak it that much... Smooth setting with slightly changed curves.

Cheers T.

23 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I bought one a couple months ago and don't know if I would recommend it. I find it kind of twitchy and bothers my eyes. I fly primarily jet liners and just as easy panning around with the mouse and hat switch. Taxiing is about the only time I use it. Kind of an expensive toy IMO.

That's my experience with Track IR 5 . I have uninstall it since all the wire seem uncomfortable to me with the trackclip pro + my head set . The folks I know have the best experience with track ir flying general aviation aircrafts .   

TrackIR is great in smooth, fast-paced fighter sims like DCS or IL-2. However, I find it cumbersome and downright awful to use in a lot of civilian sims with their performance. Just panning around at around 30FPS feels really unpleasant, plus the POV-hat or the mouse works just as well just to look down and hit 2 switches.

Always

Have had Track IR for years and years. Stopped using it when I started flying airliners. More trouble than it's worth. 

Had it for years but now only fly VR. Like the OP hinted at, it's now outdated tech, mostly. 

• Like 1

I still use it. At the point that VR has decent resolution along with good performance I'm sure I'll switch to that but for now it's Track IR.

I use it for airliners but only when taxiing. Its kinda of okd tech but its nice to have aroubs i guess. I probably wouldn't buy it again if it broke though

Been using TIR since 2012 and couldn’t fly without it.🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I thought it was just me and my settings. I do not like using trackir in airliners. Gives me a headache 

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

Always

+1

I've used it for years with every sim and game that it will run with. I haven't had any problems after the initial "get used to it" phase. Since then I'm on my second one.

• Upvote 2

I use it every time, even with airliners. However, I don't think I'd use it without Chaseplane to setup views where I'd otherwise have to crane my neck awkwardly, like looking down pedestal controls. Also, I usually take off around 10k feet to prevent fatigue. 

Used it for years now. Bought Oculus, didn't like it and went back to TIR. Can't fly without it. 

When I take the time to set all my goodies up... TrackIR, Buttkickers, all my flight panels, I luv it.  Been using it for years. 

30 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

I use it every time, even with airliners. However, I don't think I'd use it without Chaseplane to setup views where I'd otherwise have to crane my neck awkwardly, like looking down pedestal controls. Also, I usually take off around 10k feet to prevent fatigue. 

Could be my problem. I don’t have chaseplane or ezdok. 

Just a thought for those using TIR with airliners, and many already know this, but if using TIR with Chaseplane or EZdok, you can set up the views so that  for example, a Captains seat setup could essentially have two of the same view, one with TIR disabled (no head movement) and one with TIR enabled so you can pan around the cockpit, just switch back and forth to whatever preference you desire.

I do this with all of the planes I fly, it works great when on final and you don’t want the “unwanted” head movements.

Just now, okupton said:

Could be my problem. I don’t have chaseplane or ezdok. 

I would definitely recommend you use TIR with either one of these programs, they are both great! 😁

• Upvote 1

I've been using TrackIR for many, many years (first used it with Janes F/A-18 Simulator back in the day) and would not part with it.

Can't beat it in DCS, and I use it for Taxi, Takeoff and Approach when flying Airliners and it's really incredible.  I also use it in conjunction with Chaseplane and it's terrific there was well.

Mine is very smooth, but this has to do with placement of the camera as well light sensativity settings and the overall profile you set up.  Once you have those nailed down (pretty easy) then you're all set!

This year we will have higher resolution VR, but I've not yet decided on whether I'll go with VR or hybrid vision.

Best wishes!

5 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

Can't live without it.

You could....If you went VR. :biggrin:

• Like 1