Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

Carenado Turbo Commander Mod v6.0

23 hours ago, raymie said:

Okay, here is what happened--just tried this again, here is the sequence of events.

--At the default "Cold & Dark" setting, I selected "Auto Start" When doing so, Both Auto Start and Step by Step Start "buttons" turned red in color. Don't know if that is correct or not.

--The right engine started first--and did so in a normal fashion, however and this is what I forgot initially--the left engine did not go through its start sequence and fire off. There's the interruption that you may be describing. This same thing happened to me initially on my first flight. 

--Without the left engine running as it never started (waited for it to do so for about a minute), I tried to shut down the right engine via the control knob--it was "trapped" as you described it. I tried mouse clicking on it and using the mouse scroll wheel. Just went ahead and shut down the sim just like I did initially.

If you are not having a problem with this and if no one else is reporting this as an issue, it may be my set up in P3D 3.4xx??

Raymie

I loaded the mod in P3Dv3.4.22.  I couldn't get the engines to start at all due to the new fuel flow gains the mods uses from v4.4.  I have tried to get this thing to work in FSX for Robert and I have tried to get it to work in v3.4.  Evidently when you build something in the 64 bit version, that's the only thing it will work with.  With the additional changes in v4.4 it really begins to get difficult to make these things backward compatible.  I will try and see if I can recompile the models in P3Dv3, but it didn't work in FSX.  I am not optimistic. 

Bill

9 hours ago, Ralvarez232 said:

Hi Bill,

I manged to make a full flight using FSX SE with mod v6.1, but falling back the interior model to v5.0 (A690_interior_GTN.mdl) and seems to be working fine. I'm using GTN LITE model options (except for the interior model) and GTN KFC300 panel options. However, I am not completely sure if all your enhancement in v6.1 are working properly for FSX SE. It seems so (I burned the engines exceeding POH procedures 😉). Would you recommend to keep this mod in FSX SE with the v5.0 interior model or just fall back to v5.0? I have v5.0 mod backed up.

Again thanks very much for your outstanding job!!

Best Regards,

Roberto

Most of the mod depends on the updated interior models.  If you are using the v5 model, you are missing most of the mod.  I am trying but haven't found a way to make v6 backward compatible.  I would recommend falling back to v5.  I have no idea how a partial v6 would fare.   

Bill

39 minutes ago, whamil77 said:

I will try and see if I can recompile the models in P3Dv3, but it didn't work in FSX.  I am not optimistic

Hi Bill,

It is not essential for me to have "Auto Start" working properly in P3D v. 3.4xx. I can go through the normal engine start procedure from your default Cold and Dark cockpit. I would rather have you spend your personal time dealing with any other potential bugs that are of higher priority on the do list. 

Raymie

5 hours ago, whamil77 said:

To restore the normal clickable landing light switches change it to look like this (you can cut and paste from this page):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!-- For default VC landing light operation -->

(L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 0 ==
(L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number)  0 == and if{
    (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 != if{ 1 (&gt;K:LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE) } } els{
    (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (&gt;K:LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE) } }

<!-- For assigning landing lights to FSUIPC landing lights switch -->    

<!-- (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 != if{ 1 (>L:ASD_690B_EXTEND) 1 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 1 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number) (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_ON) }
(A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 == if{ 0 (>L:ASD_690B_EXTEND) 0 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 0 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number) (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_OFF) } -->

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save the file.  The clickable landing light switches will now work.

Hi Bill,

Sorry to have to ask you this as I have zero experience in editing XML files. I found the XML file that must be edited. I want to restore for normal clickable landing light switches--I assume that will be under the segment titled "For default VC landing light operation -->".  The information I should cut and paste is already under that section in the XML file but in very light type, while the FSUIPC section is in what looks like bold type. Do I cut the above information and paste it under that same information in the XML file? Sorry, I do not understand how this editing process works,. How will the assigned information under the FSUIPC landing lights switch change from being bold to a very light type? Must I do that myself?

Any helpful advice or instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Raymie

Okay, I initially opened the XML file incorrectly--I tried again this time using "edit" rather than "open". By using "edit", I scrolled down to the section regarding the VC landing lights. Do I delete the section for assigning landing lights to FSUIPC?

Raymie

I got it figured out and made the changes once I finally understood both sections had to be copied and pasted, while deleting both that were originally in the XML file. Sorry, it takes this aging brain longer to figure things out any more! 

Thanks,

Raymie

12 hours ago, whamil77 said:

Most of the mod depends on the updated interior models.  If you are using the v5 model, you are missing most of the mod.  I am trying but haven't found a way to make v6 backward compatible.  I would recommend falling back to v5.  I have no idea how a partial v6 would fare.   

Bill

Ok Bill, Thanks. I will fall back to v5.0. Just advise if you find a way to make it compatible with FSX SE.

Best Regards,

Roberto

On 5/2/2019 at 3:59 PM, C525B said:

Hey Bill,

This is really great stuff!  I'm also really enjoying the v3 Cheyenne mods as well.  Love the attention to detail.  I'm honored that you chose to include my N690CF repaint...it's one of my favorites 😉.

I only had time for a quick test flight before bed last night, but I'm seeing something funky with the Auto Pressurization script.  It always seems to have control over the cabin alt. selector regardless of that feature's check box status.

Dave 

Dave,

I found this problem and will sort it out soonest.  It's an easy fix but I need to understand what the unknown consequences of the fix may be.  

Bill

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, whamil77 said:

Every time I distribute this thing I forget to remove my own code for controlling the landing lights with FSUIPC. 

1.  Go to the main gauges folder and open the GAUGE_690B_mod folder.

2. Find the file "Gauge_UPDATE_DIG_2.xml" and open it with notepad or some other text editor.

3.  Scroll down until you see these lines:

--------------------------------------------------

<!-- (L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 0 ==
    (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (&gt;K:LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE) } } -->

(A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 != if{ 1 (>L:ASD_690B_EXTEND) 1 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 1 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number) (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_ON) }
(A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 == if{ 0 (>L:ASD_690B_EXTEND) 0 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 0 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number) (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_OFF) }

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To restore the normal clickable landing light switches change it to look like this (you can cut and paste from this page):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 0 ==
    (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (&gt;K:LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE) } }

<!-- (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 != if{ 1 (>L:ASD_690B_EXTEND) 1 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 1 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number) (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_ON) }
(A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) 0 == if{ 0 (>L:ASD_690B_EXTEND) 0 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT,number) 0 (>L:ASD_690B_SWITCH_LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT,number) (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_OFF) } -->

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save the file.  The clickable landing light switches will now work. 

Thanks for the update on the landing lights, it works fine, could I ask about the taxi speed , I'm finding it to fast and having to use the brakes quite a lot.  Have installed the 'Groundhandlingv6' gauge but this also does not appear to work, have it running in the P42 Cheyenne 111 ok.

edit... taxi speed went up to 36knts    this is in w10 and prepar3D 4.5

many thanks bob

Edited by onebob

I was also wondering about the taxi speed as well--seems a lot different than mod version 5.0. Once out of beta range, taxi speed speeds up pretty quickly. I have tried moving the prop levers from high to low positions and back with not much help. The only thing I can think of is using prop reverse to slow taxi speed down if out of beta range.

Thanks again for all of your effort in providing us with your modifications--they are a big time improvement over the stock Carenado aircraft.

Raymie

21 minutes ago, raymie said:

I was also wondering about the taxi speed as well--seems a lot different than mod version 5.0. Once out of beta range, taxi speed speeds up pretty quickly. I have tried moving the prop levers from high to low positions and back with not much help. The only thing I can think of is using prop reverse to slow taxi speed down if out of beta range.

Thanks again for all of your effort in providing us with your modifications--they are a big time improvement over the stock Carenado aircraft.

Raymie

Well....take a look at this.

You can see the airplane almost leap forward as he releases the brakes at about the 7:00 mark.  He is pulsing the brakes all the way and massaging beta.  So, I don't think it's terribly inaccurate.

The real problem is trying to emulate the direct drive engine in a simulator that uses only a free turbine.  I might be able to adjust the static thrust at idle, but it will cause undetermined changes elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting the above video-I enjoyed watching it again. Yes, this aircraft does taxi somewhat quickly and one must keep up on it. It looks like the pilot moves the throttles forward from beta position to the "normal" position to gain forward momentum and then he returns the throttles to beta position. I noticed the condition levers are in low idle during taxi and then he moves them full forward prior to take off. 

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for you to try making any adjustments--my understanding is both FSX and P3D have limitations in modelling the turbo-prop engined aircraft.

Raymie

12 hours ago, whamil77 said:

The real problem is trying to emulate the direct drive engine in a simulator that uses only a free turbine.  I might be able to adjust the static thrust at idle, but it will cause undetermined changes elsewhere. 

Agreed.   I have experimented a lot--hours and days--with the Carenado 690 and Alabeo 441 as far as modelling the Garrett turboprops, but you've got the best implementation so far.  (Anyone remember the PMDG J41?  That was a great add-on, but this is even better with the mods) I think you've made a number of strides, and it would be difficult to do more without resorting to external flight modelling ala MJC Q400.

You can see the airplane almost leap forward as he releases the brakes at about the 7:00 mark.  He is pulsing the brakes all the way and massaging beta.  So, I don't think it's terribly inaccurate.

Re. the Tim Timmons video, by my analysis it looks to me like he leaves the PLs at the Flight Idle gate after releasing the start locks.  There's an audible click when the PLs go over a gate after he brings them back up, which would result in a pretty brisk taxi (Ground Idle is pretty far back in the beta range).  Once he's rolling, he lifts the gates and goes back towards Ground Idle and seems to leave it there.

As far as manipulating the brakes, I'm not sure that's what's happening?  Would be hard to tell though.  At 9:17 Tim describes the steering system, which AFAIK is unique to the Twin Commander series.  For those of you who don't want to watch...these aircraft have power hydraulic steering, but it's not connected to the rudder pedals or to a tiller.  The toe pedals have the first portion of their travel dedicated to nosewheel steering, after which the brakes are applied as normal.

Now, I did mess with some scripts to control that aspect myself, but I don't see any way to control the steering angle independent of the the rudder in FSX/P3D.  There is a "steering axis" but it still has interplay with the rudder.  

Edited by C525B

RE: Taxiing

I calibrate my throttles with FSUIPC and utilize the reverse range. With the throttles at my idle 'detente' (i.e. that spot I tell FSUIPC where idle is) the plane rapidly gains speed.  I have a Saitek quadrant and I make idle around '25' line so anything below is reverse range. I use the first 1/4-1/3 of the reverse range to control my speed and that works pretty well for me.  I push it up towards idle to gain speed when I need it and then leave them part way into the reverse range to more or less sustain speed.  It's incredibly difficult to find a sweet spot that just maintains speed so I end up giving it a bump and then pulling it back and letting it coast until I need to bump it again - very much like what he does in the video.  He even comments that he just brings them over the gate to get some speed and them pulls them back.

TL:DR if you have registered FSUIPC, use the calibration facility to have a reverse range in your throttle travel and use that to control you taxi speed.

Bill,

It is a vast improvement. Thank you.

Ground handling is excellent and I like your alternate autopilot. The many bug fixes are also appreciated.

Steve P.

Dell Precision T3610, Windows 7 x64 + Windows XP x32 (dual boot)
Intel Xeon Processor ES-1620 v2, 4 core, 3.70 GHz
8GD DDR3-1600 
Nvidia GTX 960,  Dell U3011 (3560 x 1600 px) + Asus Pa245Q (1929 x 1200px)
FSX Acceleration