Sign in to follow this  
=Hollywood=

What you see is usually what you get....

If the past is any indicator, what you see at E3 is ususlly what you get when it comes to MSFS. Maybe some tweaks to fix thing here and there, but as far as the core product goes there hasn't been much change prior to release. If you haven't seen it yet, read the thread in the MSFS forum started by Yak Yak regarding his E3 experience. Form your own opinions but, IMNSHO and experience, those of us looking for major improvements in the simulator, as opposed to eye-candy, are going to be very, very disappointed. Maybe I'll to go buy an X-Box so I can get in some practice on arcade-type games...Do X-Box games have any blurries?DougEdited because I can't spel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I've got seven possibly encouraging words for you:June, July, August, September, October, November, December.;)Andrew

Obviously this product was intended to be released with the release of Vista (and DX10 for that matter). Obviously we'll see the best "bang" out of it running with Vista and DX10. Hopefully patience will prove that right. Of course backwards compatability will have it's drawbacks but I still we'll see some kick-a%% stuff next year!

who cares about DX10 when they havent updated the weather, AI and ATC ?

You're kidding? Right? All Vista will do is allow the use of DX10 for some additional eye-candy enhancements. It does nothing for the feature set. Doug

And three more: FS9 plus add-ons :-)

"It does nothing for the feature set."What I'm saying is that the coming months are the time in which the team improves (and finishes) what they have.Personally, I'd much rather see better ATC than better ground textures; mostly, I'd want to see both. But I already have ATC as it is, and if it doesn't improve, at least something else will.To me, something like cars on roads and other moving vehicles/environmental factors is a big leap in terms of immersion. Let's not forget people once said "who needs reflective water?" and it has demonstrably changed the immersion factor significantly.So, largely, it comes down to what one might personally consider to be the "feature set".Andrew

It is an often heard comment that a New OS / API will magicly increase performance. In the past this has never worked so don't get your hopes up that it will be different now.DX10 will give improved graphics effects sure but beter performance? There is no DX10 hardware yet so what is written today is proofed with software rendering engines. Nobody knows what the first DX10 hardware wil delevir and how much it will cost.In the end almost nobody wil be able to take a current PC gaming rig and upgrade to Vista and DX10. The best possible scenario is upgrade the graphics card to DX10 Hardware and the OS (+ probabely extra memory) on an existing rig. The speed increase will have to be paid for it will come from the new graphics card.

Enough with the "current gaming rigs". MS's biggest mistake was to make FSX backwards comaptible! What do you want them to write everything for old technology??? In that case stay with what you have and never mind FSX. I know everyone cannot afford new equipment, but especially now on the verge of alot of "new" hardware to come out this year, wait and see. And if you do enough reading and investigating, you will see that DX10 will greatly lessen the load on the CPU which in-turn allows CPU captive apps such as the FS series to perform better. We don't know whether this will be the magic bullet, but take "new" Core technology, a good x16 PCIexpress graphics card built for DX10 and a 2gig of ram and we may finally have a winner. If not, then we can fall back on FS9. These are $50 dollar pieces of software meant to entertain and nothing more!Go Forwards and don't look back! :(

"Enough with the "current gaming rigs". MS's biggest mistake was to make FSX backwards comaptible!"Pretty sure MS has considered that. Briefly.What you're suggesting means that a fifty-dollar piece of software requires a new computer.How many copies do you think would be sold if nobody could use it on an existing system?Moreso, how many people would buy it off the shelf at, say, CompUSA, if they need to pick up a $300 video card in the same trip?Flight sim enthusiasts, maybe. Everyone else, no.Silly.

"So, largely, it comes down to what one might personally consider to be the "feature set" I agree. Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate the new "features" :-) .Doug

You and everyone else have excellent points. And I agree whole-heartedly with everyone! But what I'm saying is that to get the best out of this (hopefully new) breed of software we will need a new breed of hardware. If we run it on our systems now that give us problems....wouldn't you expect even more problems from a new FS incarnation?Maybe we should yell at MS to get on the openGL badwagon and never mind DX. Try a Xplane demo when you get a chance. It flies on most systems (no pun intended).

I think MS also has different hardware in mind but that different hardware will be an X-Box 360 ;-)The market (as Microsoft and the world sees it) lies with the casual gamer. The casual gamer ussualy doesn't have our dual core SLI ultra speed rigs. So a not fully maxed FS has to run on middle of the road hardware and has to have easy 'missions'.Its a shame they (probably) won't break competability. FS tries to be 2 things at the same time so it will not be a super arcade game a la Pilot Wings (slower, graphics could be beter) because it has to support older data formats it will not be a super realistic simulator because that would scare away 80% of the customers.

Why start another thread when in the other one you already spilled your heart out how dissappointed you are with the features of this:- not-yet-released- alpha-stage- still-to-be-developed-more-than-six-months- etcprogram you haven't even tried but have seen a few photographs of?Does it help climb to a mountaintop and shout it out? No, it just makes you look silly.. :-(

You know, if it weren't for the occasional NUGGETS* to be found here, I'd quit bothering to read this forum.I've never encountered so many folks who can make such a HUGE mountain out of what isn't even a molehill... :)Of course, that explains why none of the constant whiners will ever receive an invitation to beta test the product... :-lol* http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c...reamHI_615k.wmv

"Of course, that explains why none of the constant whiners will ever receive an invitation to beta test the product..."Oh, come now.I'm certain that if one were to go back to a time well before each release you'd find people requesting things like "ATC" and a "flight planner" and "reflective water" and "3D cockpits" and right next to those people, a huddled group, pointing and uttering..."...whiners...".I've rarely seen a criticism that was actually "whining"; rather, the whining was just the presentation of the idea.-------Andrew

It looks like whining to me. I'm a father to three kids and can tell the difference between adult constructive criticism and the moaning and whining I see here.Kyle and Bill, I totally agree with both of you. Nicely said...

'Form your own opinions but, IMNSHO and experience, those of us looking for major improvements in the simulator, as opposed to eye-candy, are going to be very, very disappointed'I cant agree more, ok so we get hoops in the sky, walking elephants and exploding oil rigs????what about ATC, airports with corrected flattend areas, a real flight planner, greatly improved cockpits, corrected windshear issues, improved wx with proper moving fronts ect... the list goes on and on.So you want exploding oil rigs? - get SplinterCell, those you cant beat.I find it very very odd NO ONE has spoken about the cockpits, I fear 90% fluff (candy junk) and about 10% flight sim stuff (mesh and texture)just had to vent a bit...

"I find it very very odd NO ONE has spoken about the cockpits"Because nobody, outside of the team, has seen them yet. Nor the ATC, the flight planner, weather, or anything else but 4 basic missions with a blank ATC box and no main menu bar.Gosh, the wine and cheese factories are busy the last 24 hours. Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

>Gosh, the wine and cheese factories are busy the last 24>hours.---------------------------------------------------------Thank You ! :D :D

Hope I'm not the only one thinking that way too many people here are assuming way too many things they can't possibly know anything about... At the VERY worst, FSX will still have everything FS9 did as far as "hardcore" features and yet everyone's acting like the sim's been turned into Ace Combat 5 or something. Get a grip folks...

Well right now all i can see is eye candy.. ok great. besides the forests (maybe i don't know) everything else can be achieved in FS9 with the proper scenery, mesh and textures. what we haven't been told about is weather effects.. turbulence, shear, etc. dynamic scenery logic and possibilities (people?, airport objects etc) in addition to proper dynamic lightning inside planes so that your bathroom isn't backlit by the sun regardless of it being windowless and so on. any of that?

Maybe the Team wasn't ready to show all that yet? I'll bet within 6 months you'll know.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

> You're kidding? Right? All Vista will do is allow the>use of DX10 for some additional eye-candy enhancements. It>does nothing for the feature set. >>DougHi Doug!I beg to differ, (as far as the feature set)Here is why:I) Moving objects/vehicles a: on land/roads b: on airports c: on waterII) Moving living things a: humans b: animals land/sea/airIII) Improved mesh/terrain a: resolution of tiles b: mesh c: coastlines d: roads/rivers?(All of the previous points=MUCH greater immersion factor)IV) Adventures/Missions+Editor a: remember when FS4 was about to get boring and add ons such as Rescue 911? Great Stuff!V) New PlanesVI) Flight Planer-NEW!!! Thanks Tdragger! As a real world pilot the very first thing you do before you even start the airplane is to check the weather at the origin and at the destination (if you are flying cross-country - meaning from airport to airport). Thanks to TD we will have that now since the flight planner now shows the weather along the route including the wind at the destination. WOW! Did I say THANKS TD?!VII) Ability to customize features you may not care about but others may: a: with my PC I could care or less for cloud shadows, but others might want to check that thingy ON b: did you notice the ability to animate land and water movements of animals, boats, and traffic? Just of the top of my head but I think that would qualify as the great improvement in the feature set, and we know nothing yet of the improvements in panels, VC, ATC, weather, runway conditions, DX10, dual core processor help etc.In short, I am sorry if you can't see the improvements but from what I have seen so far this will be the best FS yet(as it should be since it is the latest:-))Best

But DX10 is not what allows for those things you listed. Irregardless of DX9 or DX10, FSX will have moving land and water objects, animals, humans (in missions), high resolution textures, high resolution mesh and coastlines, more roads and more rivers.