Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

P3Dv4.5 Airport Data Missing or Old

I had not noticed this problem before until last evening when I was planning to do a flight on VATSIM (only my second attempt) from Calgary International (CYYC) and ATIS had indicated the active runways were 17R and 17L.

Then I discovered that Little NavMap and also AivlaSoft EFB only show one north/south runway 34/16.  I realize that both of those addons get their data from P3D and that's what they are reporting.

So after my flight I checked FltPlnGO, SimBrief as well as SkyVector and they show the correct two north/south runways (35L/17R and 35R/17L).

So I am guessing that LM is still using the 13 year old 2006 data - am I correct or is there some other issue?

If LM is in fact still using this old airport data from 2006 this troubles me for a couple reasons - 1. when you pay $200 for a sim you would expect that it is up to date and 2. how can one fly on VATSIM correctly if the airport data is out of date.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Correct, the P3D world is basically the same as the FSX world, which in itself was out of date when published.  The problem that LM has is that no matter how current their world is it will soon be out of date because runways change numbers, and airports sometimes even change names and ICAO codes.

The reasonable solution is to use 3d party addon scenery, airports or one of the several tools available to update navaids.  The easy way to fix the runway numbering at a default airport is to use ADE to create an AF file and update the runway numbers, which will take less than two minutes once you know how to do it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Besides third party airports, you could also look into something like this; https://www.fsaerodata.com/

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

So I am guessing that LM is still using the 13 year old 2006 data - am I correct [...]

Yes, you are totally correct.

1 hour ago, Sethos1988 said:

Besides third party airports, you could also look into something like this; https://www.fsaerodata.com/

I do have fsaerodata I used it to update P3D to the latest AIRAC 1906 but that did not make any change other than the AIRAC Cycle is up to date.

Is there something else that fsaerodata does besides the AIRAC Cycle?

Regards, Dane

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Correct, the P3D world is basically the same as the FSX world, which in itself was out of date when published.  The problem that LM has is that no matter how current their world is it will soon be out of date because runways change numbers, and airports sometimes even change names and ICAO codes.

The reasonable solution is to use 3d party addon scenery, airports or one of the several tools available to update navaids.  The easy way to fix the runway numbering at a default airport is to use ADE to create an AF file and update the runway numbers, which will take less than two minutes once you know how to do it.

I may try ADE as I have used it before a couple years ago, thanks

Regards, Dane

44 minutes ago, mcx1000 said:

SimAddons has an excellent YYC.

Thanks...

Regards, Dane

I really don't understand why the don't update this. Did a flight into Shanghai recently and in reality there are 4 runways. In sim there were 2!

Having to check the in sim map for the ils freqs to make sure they are the same as my charts is annoying as well.

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

12 hours ago, Matthew James de Bohun said:

I really don't understand why the don't update this. Did a flight into Shanghai recently and in reality there are 4 runways. In sim there were 2!

Having to check the in sim map for the ils freqs to make sure they are the same as my charts is annoying as well.

LM has deferred to 3d party developers to cater to this market. I'd just as soon LM devote resources to the FDE and rendering engines.  Imaginsim has a perfectly fine ZSPD with SODE jetways.

Dan Downs KCRP

19 minutes ago, downscc said:

LM has deferred to 3d party developers to cater to this market. I'd just as soon LM devote resources to the FDE and rendering engines.  Imaginsim has a perfectly fine ZSPD with SODE jetways.

Dan I would agree with you if there was a third party developer that offered a complete update of the full P3D airport database. If there is one out there let me know please as I would purchase it immediately.

I subscribe to Navigraph as well as faAerodata but that's only for AIRAC Cycle updates not airport data.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Dane

I've been complaining about the old & missing airports in both FSX and P3D for a long time.  Most people tell me to go pound sand when I suggest LM invest in updating the airports.  I believe the exact words "a waste of resources".

Well what good does it do to fly a sim that's missing airports?  And not every airport has a developer that's updated the sims current layout or built a new airport that has been open.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

4 minutes ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I've been complaining about the old & missing airports in both FSX and P3D for a long time.  Most people tell me to go pound sand when I suggest LM invest in updating the airports.  I believe the exact words "a waste of resources".

Well what good does it do to fly a sim that's missing airports?  And not every airport has a developer that's updated the sims current layout or built a new airport that has been open.

Agree, and I would add how can you fly on VATSIM effectively if the airports are outdated and do not match the controllers up to date data - like in my case with CYYC Calgary

Regards, Dane

22 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

Agree, and I would add how can you fly on VATSIM effectively if the airports are outdated and do not match the controllers up to date data - like in my case with CYYC Calgary

Like most hobbies, one has to keep adding stuff and that is a part of the experience.  I don't have CYYC but FSimStudios does have one in the marketplace.

There are very few places in the world where I use default scenery. I think it's ugly and prefer the very beautiful work by folks like Flightbeam and many others.  If there isn't a commercial solution then usually you can find a suitable one in the AVSIM library, which is where I found my ZGSZ complete with correct runway and navaids.

The cost of adding scenery might be a burden to some, but I find that even with the large number I have purchased over time that this hobby is still cheaper than bowling.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

Dan I would agree with you if there was a third party developer that offered a complete update of the full P3D airport database. If there is one out there let me know please as I would purchase it immediately.

I subscribe to Navigraph as well as faAerodata but that's only for AIRAC Cycle updates not airport data.

For regional runway numbers and ILS data updates.. go here.. https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

..and it is FREE :smile:

Bert