DJJose

Water color in P3D v4

Posted (edited)

I'm loving the images I see in V4.5, but would like to change the water color. I know for a fact that the colors I see on the video bellow are similar to the colors I saw at FT TNCM with one of Gerard's presets in earlier versions of v4. That was with default P3D v4 water.

I want these colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw1Wt5YEZtE

I'm about to re-install FEX to test the water colors. What are you guys using to improve the water colors in the Caribbean or where you like to fly?

Thanks.

Jose

Edited by DJJose

Are we talking about the actual ocean colours or the near-coast stuff? Because the latter is the result of the scenery itself and underlying photoscenery being rendered through the water, which will obviously make it look better and more unique.

Right....the water in that video mostly looks like the photoscenery background with the water masked applied....so IE default water over phototextures

REX Texture Direct you could change the water colors, opaqueness, movement, etc.   I think far and above the best looking water. 

Sadly its the one thing i am missing since i have REX SkyForce and Worldwide Airports that cover all the textures that were in REX TD except water.   And don't want to reinstall all of REX TD just for water.  

17 minutes ago, jason99vmi said:

REX Texture Direct you could change the water colors, opaqueness, movement, etc.   I think far and above the best looking water. 

Sadly its the one thing i am missing since i have REX SkyForce and Worldwide Airports that cover all the textures that were in REX TD except water.   And don't want to reinstall all of REX TD just for water.  

You can Install REX TD in any regular drive and just use it when you need it. In past versions of P3D v4 I tried REX TD but was not fond of the results. I did not see much of a difference. I might try it again after F1 FEX & I hear from others who are using ENVTEX or a specific PTA preset.

I have noticed that despite the underlying photo textures, the image of water color I see in P3D v4 looks different than FSX. I have a feeling that FSX is the sim used in the video and that those colors and animations are from REX Essentials. That was a excellent add-on for FSX.

I'm looking forward to some images from those users who prefer ENVTEX because I have a feeling that for water, this could be what I'm looking for.

Viewing angle within the water shaders affects the black level, default is 4, I use 2 to get better looking water 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kand said:

Viewing angle within the water shaders affects the black level, default is 4, I use 2 to get better looking water 

Where and what file do you make them changers, please?

13 minutes ago, kand said:

Interesting. How?

Something like PTA, I assume. There's a "Water view angle/darkness factor", under "water surface tuning" that is default at 4.0

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Something like PTA, I assume. There's a "Water view angle/darkness factor", under "water surface tuning" that is default at 4.0

Hence my reference to Gerard's preset. In one of his presets the water looked like the video.

Posted (edited)

sorry was mobile

under water surface tuning

water view angle, reduce from 4 to where you like it, I use 1.75 but everyones taste is different

The lower you go, the less black the water looks from above

Edited by kand
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

I'm loving the images I see in V4.5, but would like to change the water color. I know for a fact that the colors I see on the video bellow are similar to the colors I saw at FT TNCM with one of Gerard's presets in earlier versions of v4. That was with default P3D v4 water.

I want these colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw1Wt5YEZtE

I'm about to re-install FEX to test the water colors. What are you guys using to improve the water colors in the Caribbean or where you like to fly?

2 hours ago, kand said:

under water surface tuning

water view angle, reduce from 4 to where you like it, I use 1.75 but everyones taste is different

The lower you go, the less black the water looks from above

If you use PTA, Water view angle / darkness factor is one element.

Also under Water surface tuning, the 'Refraction coefficient (limpidity)' setting is much more important to gaining the tropical blues as shown in the OP's video.

Showing Aruba using MattDavies_Dec18 PTA preset:

EoFoZZY.png

Refraction coefficient (limpidity): 0.19
Water view angle / darkness factor: 4.0

lRLZ724.jpg

Refraction coefficient (limpidity): 0.89
Water view angle / darkness factor: 3.5

Quite a difference!

I'm also using Envtex Set 1 Photoreal for Tropical water. As I'm not about to uninstall Envtex, I can't tell what effect this has over default water.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

If you use PTA, Water view angle / darkness factor is one element.

Also under Water surface tuning, the 'Refraction coefficient (limpidity)' setting is much more important to gaining the tropical blues as shown in the OP's video.

Showing Aruba using MattDavies_Dec18 PTA preset:

EoFoZZY.png

Refraction coefficient (limpidity): 0.19
Water view angle / darkness factor: 4.0

lRLZ724.jpg

Refraction coefficient (limpidity): 0.89
Water view angle / darkness factor: 3.5

Quite a difference!

I'm also using Envtex Set 1 Photoreal for Tropical water. As I'm not about to uninstall Envtex, I can't tell what effect this has over default water.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

OK. I'm back in business. I checked Gerard's older presets and all the values were the same. Then I check the one I had applied and noticed that the water surface tuning was NOT checked. I checked & re applied and my colors are back. With Gerard's preset it looks like the colors of the water change with higher altitudes.

PTA is worth the price just for this feature:

Afternoon

rpQ1dCa.jpg

QIC8Tjs.jpg

Afternoon

zpod7Bs.jpg

znrVhVE.jpg

Earlier in the day:

ekzHjkZ.jpg

7HGaJ6H.jpg

Edited by DJJose

8 hours ago, DJJose said:

OK. I'm back in business. I checked Gerard's older presets and all the values were the same. Then I check the one I had applied and noticed that the water surface tuning was NOT checked. I checked & re applied and my colors are back. With Gerard's preset it looks like the colors of the water change with higher altitudes.

Afternoon

rpQ1dCa.jpg

QIC8Tjs.jpg

Afternoon

zpod7Bs.jpg

znrVhVE.jpg

Earlier in the day:

ekzHjkZ.jpg

7HGaJ6H.jpg

That is correct. Like in reality it changes dynamically 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, DJJose said:

Afternoon

rpQ1dCa.jpg

QIC8Tjs.jpg

Afternoon

zpod7Bs.jpg

znrVhVE.jpg

Earlier in the day:

ekzHjkZ.jpg

7HGaJ6H.jpg

Which airport is that? A default one or a scenery addon? The corals look stunning 🙂

3 hours ago, 737Andi said:

Which airport is that? A default one or a scenery addon? The corals look stunning 🙂

That's payware FSDG Seychelles. The scenery is stunning! If you do buy it make sure you download any updates in the FSDG forum.