Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

I am extremely happy that we have a new sim coming. Finally a breath of fresh air! With what looks like very good visuals and nice performance! 

I am also hopeful that people at LM will finally stop giving us "poor" updates and features that NOBODY cares about and instead will focus on updates and fixes that matter most to most of us, such as Performance and bad autogen   

Edited by A340-4
  • Like 1

If this new Sim really opens up to third party devs, it's gonna gobble up other smaller fish.. IPACS will be the first to shut shop.. They simply don't have the customer base to compete with these giants.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

LOL!

You remind me of Snave, explaining flatley years ago all the incontrovertible technical facts of how Outerra could never possibly do..... all the things it now does.

As always, I will wait a few years and  come back to waggle my eyebrows at this stuff.

We have been warned, wait until AeroflyFS2 will have dense Autogen and fps will be single-digit. We have been warned again, let them add moving objects and performance will be unusable. We have at least a demo area with moving objects like cars and boats now and performance impact is just none, not low, just none.

AeroflyFS2 certainly lets some to desire, and development is slow, much too slow in my mind. However, its performance is stellar as are its visuals. I get steady 120 fps, whatever I do.They just use a more effective engine than both of the aging top dogs Prepar3d and X-Plane.

I only hope MS will come up with an optimized engine in this new title instead of the legacy FSX/ESP one. AeroflyFS2 shows it can be done, and even in VR it does much better than both Prepar3d and X-Plane.

I wouldn't make any preliminary judge on performance based on the trailer so far. We'll have to see it live to judge.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 4

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

4 minutes ago, A340-4 said:

I am also hopeful that people at LM will finally stop giving us "poor" updates and features that NOBODY cares about and instead will focus on updates and fixes that matter most to most of us, such as Performance and word not allowed autogen   

Forgotten that P3D is not for entertainment & geared up for pro use & actual training? I'm sure that their 'real'clients are quite happy.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I only hope MS will come up with an optimized engine in this new title instead of the legacy FSX/ESP one. AeroflyFS2 shows it can be done, and even in VR it does much better than both Prepar3d and X-Plane.

I wouldn't make any preliminary judge on performance based on the trailer so far. We'll have to see it live to judge.

Kind regards, Michael

Well said, Michael..Indeed!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

3 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Forgotten that P3D is not for entertainment & geared up for pro use & actual training? I'm sure that their 'real'clients are quite happy.

I am very sure that we- the "not real users" do bring an good chuck of profit to them as well. 

so..... 

I dont think so, we probably go for the cheapest version, whereas LM's market is the expensive version, tied up with hardware. 

Anyhow, LM & P3D are both irrelevant to the topic on hand.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Personally, I'm happy to see Microsoft back in the flight simulator arena. For me it was always a pleasant thing when MS released a new version of Flight Simulator every two years or so; I was always one of those 'buy it on the first day of release' people, for every iteration of it. Some releases were better than others of course, but there was generally always some kind of advancement in terms of features or content with every new version, so I could never truly say I was disappointed with any which came along.

But beyond the nostalgia, back in the time where it was advances in CPU capabilities which drove what could be done with software such as Flight Simulator, each new release of it was effectively something of a showpiece technology demonstrator for Microsoft, to the extent that it was invariably Flight Simulator in kiosk mode which would be gracing the windows of most computer stores and what is worth noting about that, is in no small part, it was Flight Simulator which served to make Microsoft more likable as a company than would have otherwise been the case. Word and Excel may be ubiquitous, but they are never going to be viewed with the true affection which Flight Simulator garners.

We all know that in large part, Flight Simulator was the beloved software child of Bill Gates, who being a big aviation enthusiast, was its patron in many ways and for many years, but in addition to this, the fact that FS presented Microsoft in a positive light meant that Gates never had too much trouble convincing the accountants that it, even if it should not prove a big moneyspinner for them, would always be a worthwhile loss leader in terms of positive marketing for the company.

Unfortunately this also meant that with Gates no longer in the driving seat, it was easier for the bean counters to target Flight Simulator when looking for a quick fix to please shareholders, but this in my opinion was a very short-sighted appraisal of what it did for them. As is often the case, the accountants who examine the bottom line are too often those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

So to whomever at Microsoft is behind the decision to get back into the flight simulator arena in a role where it can once again be a software driving force, I say good on you. You're someone who clearly understands that the value of endeavours in business can have a soul as well as a fiscal target, and if you're looking for some kind of reassurance of the wisdom of that decision, just ask Bill Gates, who made a similar choice, what his bank balance is.

So here's to the new version. Welcome back, we've missed you and there could be no more appropriate sentiment for what is apparently my 10,000th Avsim forum post, than to say this. 🙂

Edited by Chock
  • Like 24

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Wise words, and congratulations on your 10,000 post.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

The cancellation of ACES was never about profitability. FSX was the best selling and most profitable release of the series. It was a strategic decision at a time when Microsoft after years of dominating the software industry started to fall behind and needed to focus on its core products and development. It was all very predictable and typical MBA textbook management. This is what happens to most great companies when the creative and visionary talent loose control to business managers. 

• Like 5

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I am also happy to see Microsoft back in flight sim working with Nvidia and AMD as they do, who better to provide the tools and UI for creating more advanced features and it`s been no secret that they have been signing up some of the best game studios for some years, and feed back from them and there own in house creators will advance Windows which the sims run on.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

U gotta laugh at the you tubers making 20 min vids of a 1 min clip... 😄

splitting hairs that’s been split already...painful to watch.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Luke Pype

1 minute ago, MaDDogz said:

U gotta laugh at the you tubers making 20 min vids of a 1 min clip... 😄

splitting hairs that’s been split already...painful to watch.

Usually that's a deliberate attempt to get views and subs for youtube monetisation. But yeah, it's invariably painful to witness and would actually make most people less inclined to subscribe.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

What I find astonishing is the public interest in this announcement. Over 1.3 Mio people have watched the trailer and just by the numbers the new MS Flight Simulator generated the second highest interest in Microsoft's line up after their AAA title Halo. This is not bad at all for something we tend to consider a niche hobby. Right now, it is not easy for beginners to engage in our hobby with the distribution channel of P3D, which can only be bought with English language skills and a credit card. Steam makes it a bit easier for X-Plane users. I welcome that MS brings the hobby back to a more public focus and that they will make it easier for beginners to start with flight simming.

What does this mean for enthusiasts like us? I do not know. Maybe it will be more an arcade game than a true sim? Maybe it will be a true new sim that allows high system fidelity? But I know that it will drive new people into the world of flight simming. And this is something we can only profit from no matter what platform we will use for our own simming in some two years.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png