Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

So looks like it's a plane game as I expected. You might get medals and maybe even unlock airports if you do well enough! lol

• Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

On 6/10/2019 at 12:12 PM, Skywatcher said:

I don't know how many here have followed any type of modern gaming.

Lots of props and lots of ground eye candy in the promo and nothing else already gives a strong indication it's a typical modern flight game not a sim.

If it makes sales, expect lots of DLC's that will cost lots of $$$. A complete world visually as per promo, real flight sim features, user created content, those days are gone.

FS9 forever! lol

Here is my first post in this thread and to all those who said things like "jeez" to my second post in this thread, hopefully I won't have to quote that one next! lol

Mark Daniels

That statement of Aerosofts Kok is 100% an NDA driven confirmation of their involvement which makes me pretty happy and the hype is leveling up.

I would love to see PMDG involved too but at the same time I will never forgot how PMDG made me buy the same planes twice with p3dv4 without any discount so I wouldn’t shed a tear if they are going down. Greediness pays back.

Exciting times indeed 

from pcgamer article

Flight Sim was a game in our past that sold millions and millions of units and had a very, very passionate community—in fact, they're still out there," says Spencer

Doesn’t seem we were the niche we are making us

Edited by DaWu
  • Like 4

Lukas Dalton

20 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

Here is my first post in this thread and to all those who said things like "jeez" to my second post in this thread, hopefully I won't have to quote that one next! lol

ughhhhh....For our sanity's sake, let's hope not.  We gotta keep hope alive.

• Like 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

54 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Though this announcement is fantastic, it's hard to imagine what motivates MS to get back on board with a new, hopefully full up FS considering the recent history of crash and burns of major attempts.

While it would be nice to think that MS suddenly had a burst of nostalgia for what used to be a showcase product, and they decided to resurrect it purely from the love of flight simulation, I think it's easier to see more commercial motivations.

In the holiday season of 2020 they will be releasing the new Xbox (code name "Scarlett"). It will be an absolute screamer for performance according to the early info. Four times as powerful as the current Xbox One, capable of 120 fps at 4k resolution, and with support for ray tracing and VR. Basically what you can barely get now with a very high-end PC with a top of the line Nvidia GPU. 

MS needs some fancy entertainment software to show off the new graphics on the new console. The two big ones will be the new Halo game and the new Flight Simulator. Both of those titles are owned and developed in-house by Microsoft Game Studios, so they can take advantage of tight integration with the new console hardware. They are also introducing the new streaming Xbox cloud service this October, which ties into all this. The PC version of the new flight simulator will come out earlier than the new Xbox, so they'll have a chance to debug it first. 

In other words, the new MSFS can't exactly be called an Xbox game because it will also run on PC's. But the timing of the release, and Microsoft's "new" interest in flight sims, may be more about the next generation of Xbox and the push towards cloud service streaming than anything else.

I'm still looking forward to it, and hoping for the best.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

the fog layer around San Francisco looked extremely accurate

Oh man you aren’t kidding…

That was one of my favorite things in the trailer - gorgeous!

4 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

ughhhhh....For our sanity's sake, let's hope not.  We gotta keep hope alive.

Well I posted 3 times now worthwhile info but no one is listening...

PMDG as far as I know don't do plane games so I wouldn't expect them to be involved for example! lol

Mark Daniels

My take on this (and I'll probably get hell for saying this, but here goes...) is the following:

• It will be a cloud-based subscription game.
  • All the heavy computational number crunching (scenery, autogen, weather data, physics simulation etc), is done in the cloud, and the local user will be responsible of rendering the final product.
  • It will be satellite-imagery based scenery - utilizing their Bing Maps technology, coupled with the immense computational power they have in-the-cloud with Azure and Azure AI engine - probably for generating autogen on-the-fly (again in the cloud).
  • It's an advanced Google-Earth-Simulator type of game (with an improved physics engine and shaders) and with a set of airplanes. I'm sorry to say so, but I doubt we'll see 3rd party additions (God, I hope I'm wrong here!).
  • They have added an internal weather engine with appropriate effects. It will probably feature live weather data or a fixed set of weather themes. Most likely computed in-the-cloud as well. 
  • Quite a lot of data, could probably be stored locally on the users computer - things like airplane models and textures, cloud textures etc... All except satellite-imagery and autogen-textures and model data (basically scenery data).
  • I doubt we'll see any hard-core simulation features, which people are sighing for... (SID/STAR, deeply modeled airplanes, advanced ATC simulation etc...)

Again, I really hope I'm wrong here. But from the looks of the trailer (or teaser or whatever you wanna call it), it does seem that some of it could be true... 

Oh well - I'll dive for cover now...

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

My take on this (and I'll probably get hell for saying this, but here goes...) is the following:

• It will be a cloud-based subscription game.
  • All the heavy computational number crunching (scenery, autogen, weather data, physics simulation etc), is done in the cloud, and the local user will be responsible of rendering the final product.

Those two definitely won't happen and I'll be willing to bet serious money on that.

• Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

15 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

PMDG as far as I know don't do plane games so I wouldn't expect them to be involved for example! lol

Yeah, because FSX wasn't a plane game or FS9 😛

• Like 5

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

23 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Unlikely from TrueSky, it looks much better than anything TrueSky had to offer especially when it comes to cloud blending with terrain and I didn't see any of that weird rapid constant morphing (the warp effect on a texture to pass as cloud motion).  MS are more than capable of coming up with their own cloud/weather solutions ... the fog layer around San Francisco looked extremely accurate, considerably more accurate that how TrueSky depicted it in FSW.

Just before Dovetail Sim folded, TrueSky had announced some breakthroughs (including multiple layer clouds) that they were keen to bring into the sim. Then things went south and that was the end of that.

Later, I heard (don't know if it was true) that DTG had an exclusive lock on Truesky for civilian simulation, and I wondered if the crash and burn of DTSim was enough to release them.

I don't doubt that MS has the ability to roll their own, but I remember that MsFlight showed them dragging in a lot of off-the-shelf stuff (the credits were several pages long and listed literally dozens of companies) to get the sim out the door relatively quickly, and they might be inclined to go the same route now. Its other sims that constantly reinvent the wheel with proprietary solutions.

So the possibility is still 50/50 for me

Looks familiar.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Interesting. I saw an Nvidia add today that featured the new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Yeah, I'm fairly confident it's TrueSky, as it has evolved a lot and become truly stunning. Seemed like a no-brainer to buy into that product, rather than wasting a lot of resources creating their own.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

20 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

Well I posted 3 times now worthwhile info but no one is listening...

You posted a guess based on the fact that the planes and ground looked pretty, backed that guess up with no evidence, and then started posting as though your guess was journalistically-established fact.

Nothing posted in here is "worthwhile info," because there isn't any info to post about yet. It's all people sitting around chewing the fat and guessing about what might come to be.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1