Jump to content

SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Ok, last one. Heres the view of the meteor crater in Windows Maps:

Top Pic

 

And here it is in Flight Sim and you can see more autogen coming into play:

Bottom Pic

It's surprisingly accurate with it's tree placement as I thought it had just guessed those in the above box and placed them arbitrarily around the river, but they do match bushes that are actually there. Furthermore, the autogen seems a bit gung-ho with the rock placement in the lower box 😉 It decided to dump two loads of boulders on the road. Still, nice to see it's making an effort and compared to Windows Maps it looks night and day.

[EDIT] Can't seem to fix those embedded images for some reason. Will work if you click on them though

crater1.png.jpeg

crater2.png.jpeg

Edited by charliearon
embed images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tronied said:

Ok, last one. Heres the view of the meteor crater in Windows Maps:

crater1.png

And here it is in Flight Sim and you can see more autogen coming into play:

crater2.png

I get access denied (403) errors on both those links 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tronied said:

There's definitely evidence of autogen here as I'm sure has already been mentioned:

autogen.png?psid=1

Also interesting to note is that you can see where the AI is coming into play:

Yep, this is certainly not a 3D scan like the others.. Actually if you go to Bing maps and check around Dubai, the buildings match the building footprints they have exactly in this shot above.. I had a look around some other areas, and it seems the buildings come from various sources, including OpenStreetMap (I added my own home and surroundings and surely enough it's now there in Bing Maps exactly as I mapped it many years ago). However, the downside is that there lots of gaps with no coverage, and Google's building data seems better at the moment. If anyone has used Simheaven's scenery on X-Plane, then my guess is it will be quite similar to that, but with better data

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tronied said:

[EDIT] Can't seem to fix those embedded images for some reason. Will work if you click on them though

Clicking on the image filename doesn't work here. Takes me to a "Sign in to your Microsoft Account" page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, F737NG said:

As a Limey, I could get upset about the way you 'bailed on us' in 1776.

Ah man Sorry about that. Our bad!! LOL!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard a rumor MS are not going to provide an SDK??  Can anyone confirm and provide a verifiable source?

Cheers, Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

True, but it's still fun to speculate!

Scenery can be streamed on a "look ahead" basis for the flight path, and buffered on the hard drive. Current sims like X-Plane already do that with files on the hard drive, pre-loading landclass, terrain mesh, and autogen for a smooth transition. You can't do that kind of buffered pre-loading with the entire game engine running as a streamed service, so maybe the bandwidth requirements won't be as high as they are for those types of "games as a service."  

An interesting wrinkle, assuming it actually is a streaming model, is that flying military fast movers and airliners would need to download and buffer much more scenery data per flight minute than flying a Piper Cub. I assume MS will make sure that's built into the minimum hardware and bandwidth requirements. Or, maybe you'll just have to fly a Cub if you have a lousy connection. 😄

This is the way I think it will work as well, i.e. all of the simulator elements will be stored on your local machine with only the photoscenery being downloaded. 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Yep, this is certainly not a 3D scan like the others.. Actually if you go to Bing maps and check around Dubai, the buildings match the building footprints they have exactly in this shot above.. I had a look around some other areas, and it seems the buildings come from various sources, including OpenStreetMap (I added my own home and surroundings and surely enough it's now there in Bing Maps exactly as I mapped it many years ago). However, the downside is that there lots of gaps with no coverage, and Google's building data seems better at the moment. If anyone has used Simheaven's scenery on X-Plane, then my guess is it will be quite similar to that, but with better data

 

We're talking an interesting new Graphics Engine here. Thank God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you hear that Rob? I hope it's not true 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I just heard a rumor MS are not going to provide an SDK??  Can anyone confirm and provide a verifiable source?

Cheers, Rob.

Where did you hear the rumour Rob?

Simple question. A simple answer will do.

Edited by ganter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

An interesting wrinkle, assuming it actually is a streaming model, is that flying military fast movers and airliners would need to download and buffer much more scenery data per flight minute than flying a Piper Cub. I assume MS will make sure that's built into the minimum hardware and bandwidth requirements. Or, maybe you'll just have to fly a Cub if you have a lousy connection. 😄

Or it's adaptive, pulling down lower LODs since it's zooming by so fast anyway. Flying the Cub might mean you're always pulling down the highest LODs which might slow the sim down with all the extra detail to render.

I noticed Nvidia has some streaming features that send data straight to GPU memory off the network. Don't know if that's Infiniband only (RDMA) or if it works over ethernet. Anyway if this new FS does that it'll take a huge load off the CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend thru FSElite ... I have no other sources of this rumor, hence my question .

Cheers, Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

A friend thru FSElite ... I have no other sources of this rumor, hence my question .

Cheers, Rob.

What's your friends source?

MS directly?

I have to think anyone who hasn't heard it straight from that Dev team is guessing, especially in light of this whole thing being a surprise to seemingly everyone.

No telephone game stuff here hopefully..

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, irrics said:

I have to think anyone who hasn't heard it straight from that Dev team is guessing, especially in light of this whole thing being a surprise to seemingly everyone.

Anyone who does know is under NDA, so until we hear it from the horse's mouth, it's somebody guessing 🙂

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

A friend thru FSElite ... I have no other sources of this rumor, hence my question .

I know if I were a scenery developer, which those are the people FS Elite is in contact with the most, I would certainly push this rumor.  Probably saw a quick dip in sales this past week while the hype is so high.  Get those rumors started that there will be no SDK, you know MS isn't going to come out and confirm or deny anything in this community.  People will focus back on P3D and feel more comfortable shelling out $25 for an airport.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MS aren't stupid. I'd be very surprised if they repeated the exact same mistakes as Flight, especially when it appears they are trying to roll this into some kind of subscription service via Xbox Pass. They have every incentive to keep material flowing into the game from as many places as possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I just heard a rumor MS are not going to provide an SDK??  Can anyone confirm and provide a verifiable source?

Cheers, Rob.

I think we can safely discount that one then.

This is MSFS - there has to be a SDK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TravelRunner404 said:

I know if I were a scenery developer, which those are the people FS Elite is in contact with the most, I would certainly push this rumor.  Probably saw a quick dip in sales this past week while the hype is so high.  Get those rumors started that there will be no SDK, you know MS isn't going to come out and confirm or deny anything in this community.  People will focus back on P3D and feel more comfortable shelling out $25 for an airport.

I had this exact thought, especially as it relates to OrbX and with their TE WA product releasing in like a week.

It can't help at all that many out there are comparing Seattle in the trailer to Seattle in the TE WA videos they have on their site...and the trailer blows it away (as one would expect of a next gen offering being teased)

😮

I'm not taking a shot at them by the way - just calling a spade a spade.  

TE WA looks excellent - just not as excellent as the trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also - as it relates to scenery devs maybe quietly pushing some rumors out..

I get it - there is reason to be concerned right now.  I know this has totally changed all my FS related hardware & software purchase plans for the rest of the year/into 2020 as I wait to see what this will look like.  I'm sure I am not alone in that thought.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see quite clearly in the Launch Video there is Photo/ Ortho but also Scenery - as we know it. That means FSDeveloper isn't going to go out of business anytime soon and I can continue to make my Runways anywhere I choose.

It looks amazing. What I'm really really looking forward to is a departure from the Tyranny of Developers.  Charging us nearly $100 for planes. ENOUGH!

Time to bring this back in to reality! "Microsoft" will sigh on my lips as I fall asleep tonight - (they invented it, perfected it, and now have come back to it)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

A friend thru FSElite ... I have no other sources of this rumor, hence my question .

Cheers, Rob.

Probably a bad idea for someone with ties to a competing product to be going around spreading rumors like this...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ganter said:

I think we can safely discount that one then.

I hope you are right but it seems this crew is pretty much in agreement that this issue killed Flight. Many think that MS learned from that experience. Could be don't know. I guess I wonder why given that history MS did not come out and say they are supporting 3 party this time. Seems like they would know up front that this would be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, irrics said:

I had this exact thought, especially as it relates to OrbX and with their TE WA product releasing in like a week.

It can't help at all that many out there are comparing Seattle in the trailer to Seattle in the TE WA videos they have on their site...and the trailer blows it away (as one would expect of a next gen offering being teased)

I'd say it's an unfair comparison, because comparing TrueEarth Washington to the Seattle in that trailer is like comparing a detailed drawing of a full car to an exact photograph of a small section of the car displayed on a high quality 4k monitor. The photograph will look more detailed because it's an exact copy of it (In this case, Seattle was taken from the air with lasers at some point in the past etc...), compared to something somebody did by hand. However, the entire state in TE Washington is more or less the same detail with no gaps, and from the MS trailer, we have very little idea what lies outside of Seattle and what it looks like, but I doubt it's all a 3D scan like you see there.... I hope my analogy makes sense here 🙂

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I hope you are right but it seems this crew is pretty much in agreement that this issue killed Flight. Many think that MS learned from that experience. Could be don't know. I guess I wonder why given that history MS did not come out and say they are supporting 3 party this time. Seems like they would know up front that this would be an issue.

Good point. But what we're really going to have to be fully aware of is the Devs; the vampires; they're talking amongst themselves and quite frankly they're crapping themselves as to how this is going to play out.

We saw smaller Devs "melting down" earlier in this thread, the big players; PMDG, A2A, etc have gone strangely quiet.

Microsoft is reclaiming this Simulator - that they made. 

I'll fly it - even if it's a house brick. Sod the Queen Of The Skies.

(Microsoft - You had me when the hangar doors opened...)

89ryewhf.jpg

 

Edited by ganter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...