Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

6 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Devs who say "we had no knowledge about this" are very likely telling the truth. PMDG and Orbx fall into that category.

It's amazing that even when the John Venema the CEO says he has no knowledge of it, people still make up conspiracy theories and don't believe it 🙂. I also believe PMDG didn't know about it either, and are probably waiting for more information like the rest of us.

I do believe Aerosoft is involved, there is too much evidence to the contrary to say they aren't. I'm not sure how REX could be involved because it seems to use full 3D volumetric clouds, something they don't have any experience with, but who knows, they are certainly industry leaders in the flight sim clouds department.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I guess we will find out, but nothing in that video looked like I need REX for anything moving forward.  

That would be a good thing by the way. It’s time for the platform itself to fully tackle key core things like great worldwide scenery and weather. 

Third parties for even further extensibility is better in my opinion, but we need to be past the days where getting great looking, high quality simulation requires a whole bunch of third-party stuff straight out of the box

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Personally, I want my third-party developer experience to be focused on aircraft and more micro level details of airport environments and issues that the platform will never really capture as well as a highly focused third-party might. 

Weather is is a category I want done great by the platform itself with no extra programs necessary. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

@tonywob

Just from a scenery standpoint you must be pretty stoked about what you’ve seen I would think?

Essentially what Microsoft is doing is a W2XP concept done at the corporate massive budget and resource level...With computational power thrown in to boot. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, irrics said:

The more I watch that trailer and see the reactions in various corners the more convinced I am that this is totally phenomenal...

I think it’s possible we are gonna look back on this as the biggest and best transition in the space in the last 20 years. 

I agree wholeheartedly.

Been around a loooong time and this is the best news I've heard since then! 

Long live Microsoft Flight Simulator, version XI or XX, or whatever! 

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen :smile:

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, irrics said:

@tonywob

Just from a scenery standpoint you must be pretty stoked about what you’ve seen I would think?

Essentially what Microsoft is doing is a W2XP concept done at the corporate massive budget and resource level...With computational power thrown in to boot. 

Indeed, I'm really fascinated on how it looks outside of the cities.. e.g. In the middle of nowhere in the US or central Europe.  Whilst cities look great, simmers tend to fly between them and not just hang around city centres. Despite all that,  I really hope they allow third parties to create scenery and aircraft and is pretty open, otherwise it suddenly loses quite a lot of appeal to me.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Indeed, I'm really fascinated on how it looks outside of the cities.. e.g. In the middle of nowhere in the US or central Europe.

Me too - although admittedly my expectations do only go up to a certain point.

Airports, of course, generally do have some sort of populated areas around them so as long as that stuff is largely up to snuff, it'll be a huge upgrade from anything we have now.  My main thing is having realistic scenery and landmarks, especially the closer I am to airport and approach environments, so you can truly get the real world feel.  That's why the XP/Austin "plausible world" was a turn off to me from moment one.  I don't want to fly in a "plausible" world - I want to fly in our actual world here on Earth.

The synergies between the MS mapping business side and the desire to make that better and better as time goes on, and having FS benefit from that, is so incredibly exciting.  FS could be the benefactor of data that never would make financial sense to aggregate for only FS/gaming usage alone.

This is likely game changing over the long term I think.

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 1

I hope they also have a decent flight planner built in, or allow something 3rd party to be used. 

There is so little information and so many questions. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, fantasizing about his present before unwrapping it to find out if it was everything he dreamed of or a ..... total let down. (which I hope this is NOT)

In all honesty, I would fly in a world of cartoon (or Anime) like graphics as long as the flight models were accurate, the weather was amazing and things looked like there real world counterparts. I can imagine the load on a computers system wouldn't be near as harsh with something like that. 

Edited by Lotharen
Added a paragraph
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Indeed, I'm really fascinated on how it looks outside of the cities.. e.g. In the middle of nowhere in the US or central Europe.  Whilst cities look great, simmers tend to fly between them and not just hang around city centres. Despite all that,  I really hope they allow third parties to create scenery and aircraft and is pretty open, otherwise it suddenly loses quite a lot of appeal to me.

Agreed. I believe leaving it open sourced creates businesses for others and allows for even greater immersion. There are incredible people out there who have taken our hobbies to the next level with their forward thinking. I do think the basics should be covered in house, thus allowing greater expandability of the product. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

My take on this (and I'll probably get hell for saying this, but here goes...) is the following... https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/555616-new-ms-flight-sim-shown-at-e3/?do=findComment&comment=4017585

Hang on a second there Anders... you were asking me to provide an authoritative statement of possible Aerosoft involvement, but within a day or so you come out with that huge list of supposition with far less to base them on than I provided! You didn't think I'd let that one slip by, did you?

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Bring back Microsoft Train Simulator while you are at it. Remember that was cancelled back around 2009. Quite surprised about new flight simulator and trying to keep positive about it after Flight and World failing. i know things are really early, no duh, but with what i see for potential scenery of the world...what about rights to that photo scenery. Example is Ireland....seems very expensive for third party developers to acquire data needed at reasonable cost. Orbx has had issues for True Earth Ireland that has been talked about in forum there.

• Like 2

After joining the insider program from reading the reply you will need to send a dxdiag report when they are ready, this could be DX12 requirement therefore windows10.    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 minutes ago, irishsooner said:

Bring back Microsoft Train Simulator while you are at it.

Exactly the sort of thing that could ultimately benefit from linking up with the real world map data and that build out.

There are so many ways they could leverage the better and better map/building/ortho combo over time, especially in the gaming space.  The mere fact we could all benefit from the data being kept up to date over time is so huge.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishsooner said:

Bring back Microsoft Train Simulator while you are at it. Remember that was cancelled back around 2009. Quite surprised about new flight simulator and trying to keep positive about it after Flight and World failing. i know things are really early, no duh, but with what i see for potential scenery of the world...what about rights to that photo scenery. Example is Ireland....seems very expensive for third party developers to acquire data needed at reasonable cost. Orbx has had issues for True Earth Ireland that has been talked about in forum there.

Microsoft owns the orthoimagery provider, so it is available for free to them.

• Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel