Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

4 hours ago, yidahoo said:

... The reality is that Microsoft are in it to make money ...

Money is a factor, but in regards of flight simulation I also see reputation, proof of highest technical skills and art as important points, which in the end pays off again.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

37 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Check them carefully, they are both custom modelled, especially Dubai.. It's pretty obvious if you look at the skyscraper textures in Dubai.

Hmmm I think you´re right but I´m not so sure with those skyscrapers. If they are modelled, they should have lights and looks more like photogrammetry to me. The pyramids on the contrary, the more I Iook them, the more modelled I think they are,

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

If the technology doesn't support it, there is no point in lamenting it. 

I was talking about the cost for Microsoft having to deal with support requests they are not responsible for. There is a difference between dealing with a couple of hundred enthusiasts consciously using a freeware product and a million people who just clicked on a couple of colorful things and downloaded something from somewhere. Their first port of call will always be Microsoft.

Best regards

When I remember old FS9/FSX times when many, many freeware and payware was around, the support of MS had its limits (to say it friendly). They did not care so much about your add-ons working or not. At least this was my impression.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

18 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Show some love for MS you bunch of grumpy old sim-farts! 😉

I resemble this remark too!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

9 minutes ago, Nemo said:

When I remember old FS9/FSX times when many, many freeware and payware was around, the support of MS had its limits (to say it friendly). They did not care so much about your add-ons working or not. At least this was my impression.

You can say the same of the present sims it`s not there responsibility to make addons work that's down to the addon developer. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

17 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

Here is something to start. I will cease to post on this topic because clearly people just want to carry on with their Christmas wish lists.

I'd be really very cautious of believing anything on that video at all, it's largely click-bait, and not very good click-bait either. Most of what this guy on youtube says is absolutely laughably nonsensical. Some of it is just plain wrong and part of it is deliberately misleading too. As such, the video is nothing more than a gravy-train-jumping attempt to get some more traffic to his youtube channel.

For example, at one point he says he 'used to be a photographer', yet if you listen to the way he tries to pronounce 'anti-aliasing' at around the 10 minutes and 15 seconds mark into his video, if he's allegedly been a photographer in the past but can't even pronounce anti-aliasing correctly, much less recognise the difference between what actually is anti-aliasing and the compression artifacting he's pointing at on screen when he says that's what he is noticing, then I'm the Emperor of China. His understanding of how resolutions work and what they will and will not engender on a display is largely a load of nonsense too, and certainly not something any photographer I'd ever employ would say, and unlike him, I actually do have qualifications and work experience in that field.

As for his suggestion that it looks like FSW, that's laughable too because as we all know, FSW had Orbx content in it, and Orbx have come right out and said they are nothing to do with it. I seriously doubt they'd not know anything about a newly-developed simulator which was apparently using their scenery.

Now don't get me wrong, I've nothing against people creating youtube videos if they want to, after all, I have my own flight sim-related youtube channel where I do exactly that; but the difference is, I actually spend considerably more than five minutes making my channel's videos and I only produce one when I know I've got something worthwhile to say and something which is an entertaining watch too. I refuse to bang out a quick video on this new MS offering in the hopes of gaining some subscribers and click analytics until I've got something more than merely the same promo video which we've all seen upon which to base such a video, because I want my channel to have credibility. I sure as hell wouldn't be deliberately misleading about the fact that I've signed up for that XBox beta thing and try to portray that as being indicative of me being privy to some kind of additional information about the subject beyond that which everyone else has.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I trust MS to do the right thing (I'm so gullible).  For me, DTG was never on the trust meter, especially due to their initial approach to the community.  With that said, MS has the resources to bring  PC based flight simming to the next level, but the question remains, are they willing to go all the way to the end or to the place where we have that next gen sim we can embrace in mass?  Only time will tell, but I will remain optimistic that MS will make it happen.  In the mean time, I think I'll go purchased another add-on for P3D just because.

• Like 3

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

So much talk about streaming without any proof not even a small hint that any streaming is involved. Even if some kind of streaming is involved it will be nothing like Stadia.

In Stadia the whole picture is generated in the cloud and streamed to you like a movie. In FS the picture would still be generated on your local machine and only the scenery data will be streamed to your client depending on the position you currently are. Thats a lot less data then stadia uses.

• Like 3

Lukas Dalton

33 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Definitely. So they have experience regarding the numbers from a time when not everything was about "likes". Need to tread more carefully today.

When planning the new product they will have looked at the impact that releasing it will have on the support structures. Do agents need additional training? Are there enough agents? Etc. If there is a chance to limit the amount of support traffic, they will at least talk about it. All I'm saying is that there is a real financial incentive for MS to not allow addons for the time being. I can't come up with a number for the probability though, because it depends on another one - the question if addons would work at all or if it would take additional effort to develop the new platform to that point in the first place. And so on and so forth. That is an endless circle of speculation.

What I do not believe for one second is that MS found it in their hearts that the flightsim community as we understand it needs more love.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Chock said:

I'd be really very cautious of believing anything on that video at all, it's largely click-bait, and not very good click-bait either.

Wow, someone didn't wake up in a good mood today... 🙂I've been a photographer for 30 years and not even once have I used the term anti-aliasing or needed to. If you're going to kill a mans character, at least find some real arguments. Now, don't get me wrong, but I find most of these youtube videos entertaining, and I don't care if they took just 5 minutes to prepare, because at this point, anything is everyone's guess. It's just people that are happy to see a new flight sim from arguably the most beloved game franchise in history.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hey folks, this announcement from MS has finally pushed me out of the lurker shadows and into the active community.

Not sure if you've seen this already but PMDG released an official statement

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/14257-12jun19-pmdg-and-the-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-question

The most relevant part as far as I'm concerned was: 

As of this writing, PMDG knows the following facts based upon published information and direct intelligence gathering:

- Microsoft has been at work developing a new title to release using the MSFS name.

- This title and the effort to develop it have been kept under wraps for some time.

- None of the firms with which we are in contact have or have had any direct discussion with Microsoft about this title.

- There were some rumors of this title a few months back, but they evaporated without confirmation.

Now, it's fine for MS to pick Aerosoft as their exclusive boxed airplanes developer, but "None of the firms with which we are in contact" makes wonder if Aerosoft is actually the only third party Microsoft is working with. I sure hope not, it would be nice to have broader support from day 1. 

As for me, I was about to pull the trigger on the migration to P3D (and all the addon conversion costs that come along with that), but I reckon the best move now is to wait and see. 

Edited by FlyingRoo
typo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Check them carefully, they are both custom modelled, especially Dubai.. It's pretty obvious if you look at the skyscraper textures in Dubai.

Hey Tony, there is underlying data not visible in 3d satellite view, I wouldn't be so sure they don't have more data than what we see right now. Phil Spencer said they have used 2 Petabytes (2048 terabytes) of data to build the sim world together.

This is dubai if you choose the maps view, not the satellite:

htB8HHf.png

Edited by ca_metal

25 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Wow, someone didn't wake up in a good mood today... 🙂I've been a photographer for 30 years and not even once have I used the term anti-aliasing or needed to. If you're going to kill a mans character, at least find some real arguments. Now, don't get me wrong, but I find most of these youtube videos entertaining, and I don't care if they took just 5 minutes to prepare, because at this point, anything is everyone's guess. It's just people that are happy to see a new flight sim from arguably the most beloved game franchise in history.

Well if you're doing traditional wet-film photography and darkroom printing, then it is true that anti-aliasing would not figure largely in the frame of that, but the moment one is talking about the digital realm and displaying images in that format, anti-aliasing is writ large upon the technology, and let's not forget here that it is me pulling someone up for having brought up that subject in their video and then demonstrably showing their lack of knowledge thereof, not me claiming that he should know everything about it without him having made reference to it.

Thus my comment is nothing to do with my mood or an attempt to 'kill a man's character' as you somewhat dramatically put it, it is to do with disliking when people churn out parasitical click-bait nonsense on youtube, particularly when making misleading claims about their competence to do so, and supposedly with either a level of understanding of the subject over and above that of the people watching and listening to them, or from a position of implied internal authority.

Sure, if someone wants to make a video and say 'Here's me talking about what I think' and not implying anything more than this, then fine. But at least say that is what you are doing instead of cracking on that you're offering something more than that. This is the issue; it deserves to be pulled up and judging by the unfavourable disparity of likes to dislikes on that particular video, I'm glad to see that many people evidently recognise it for what it is. Youtube is already enough of an echo-chamber without people adding to that aspect of it.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 hours ago, MDFlier said:

FS2020 in roman numerals would be FSXXXX  well... actually FSMMXX for FS two thousand twenty, but FSXXXX for FS twenty twenty.

We seem to have some problems with nomenclature here. No one really knows what to call this new sim. "Microsoft Flight Simulator" is way too generic.

I'm going to suggest that, to avoid confusion, we all agree to call this "Microsoft Flight v2". 

Also, if anyone has Satya Nadella's contact details, could you please pass this suggestion/instruction along to him. 

Thanks!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

We seem to have some problems with nomenclature here. No one really knows what to call this new sim. "Microsoft Flight Simulator" is way too generic.

I'm going to suggest that, to avoid confusion, we all agree to call this "Microsoft Flight v2". 

Also, if anyone has Satya Nadella's contact details, could you please pass this suggestion/instruction along to him. 

Thanks!

No way. We all pray that this will be NOT a Flight v2 so we should not name it that way.

FS2020 ist absoultely fine.

Lukas Dalton