Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
markgixer6

Carenado C90 GTX King Air - Alternatives?

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

Looking to expand my current aircraft in P3dv4.5. I already have the PMDG 747, TFDI717, A2A Bonanza and am looking primarily for a twin prop vfr aircraft to compliment my virtual hangar. The Carenado gets decent reviews and I think it ticks a lot of boxes but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking similar aircraft that maybe I should be considering. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

Regards Mark

Share this post


Link to post

It's a piston twin, but the Milviz Cessna 310R is worthy of consideration, too.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Share this post


Link to post

I am afraid that you are going to be disappointed with the C90 GTX, unless you happen to own the GTN 750 package (Flight1 or RXP).

Carenado is known for its good looking planes, and buggy avionics, which makes for a poor combination, in light of the airplanes you currently have in your hangar.

The Flight1 King Air might be worth a look.. :cool:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=f1b200fsx

or the Vertx DA62

https://vertxsim.com/

  • Like 2

Bert

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Mace, I'll definitely take a look at the Milviz. Thank you Bert I'll have a look at your suggestions as well. Incidentally, I do have the RXP GTN 750 as I bought this for the Bonanza. With this being the case, would you recommend the C90 GTX over the Flight 1 King Air and the Vertx DA62? 

PS - I also have a Navigraph subscription if that matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, markgixer6 said:

Thanks Mace, I'll definitely take a look at the Milviz. Thank you Bert I'll have a look at your suggestions as well. Incidentally, I do have the RXP GTN 750 as I bought this for the Bonanza. With this being the case, would you recommend the C90 GTX over the Flight 1 King Air and the Vertx DA62? 

PS - I also have a Navigraph subscription if that matters. 

OK, that gives you more options :smile:

The community has developed GTN mods and enhancements for a whole list of Carenado planes.

The Flight1 King Air and Vertx DA62 are complete, out of the box.. no fixing required.

I quite like my C90GTX with a GTN mod.. but there is also the PC12 or C421.. etc

Have a look here:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54606&title=gtn-750-in-c90-gtx

If you do get a Carenado plane, check out the user mods (send me a PM) :wink:

  • Like 1

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

OK, that gives you more options :smile:

The community has developed GTN mods and enhancements for a whole list of Carenado planes.

The Flight1 King Air and Vertx DA62 are complete, out of the box.. no fixing required.

I quite like my C90GTX with a GTN mod.. but there is also the PC12 or C421.. etc

Have a look here:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54606&title=gtn-750-in-c90-gtx

If you do get a Carenado plane, check out the user mods (send me a PM) :wink:

Some really good looking options there! I like the look of both the C310R and the C421. Having said that, the C90 King Air panel looks fantastic with the GTN 750. Are there any known glitches/issues with the mod Bert?

The Flight1 King Air looks very good as well, but can the GTN 750 be used in that plane? On watching a YouTube review of it, it might be a bit too realistic and complex for what I'm looking for (a relatively quick and easy plane to hop in and fly VFR or short ILS flights). Not sure I can be bothered to learn a study class version of the G1000 at this point. The Flight1 is a little pricey as well compared to the Carenado.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, markgixer6 said:

Some really good looking options there! I like the look of both the C310R and the C421. Having said that, the C90 King Air panel looks fantastic with the GTN 750. Are there any known glitches/issues with the mod Bert?

The Flight1 King Air looks very good as well, but can the GTN 750 be used in that plane? On watching a YouTube review of it, it might be a bit too realistic and complex for what I'm looking for (a relatively quick and easy plane to hop in and fly VFR or short ILS flights). Not sure I can be bothered to learn a study class very of the G1000 at this point. The Flight1 is a little pricey as well compared to the Carenado.

Any of these airplanes will "do the job", but the Flight1 King Air has it's own custom G1000 avionics, which do not work with a GTN 750.. so you may well be perfectly happy with the C90 GTX.

Known issues... the GTN has been shoehorned into a Collins gauge surround, but if that does not bother you, no.. it works just fine  :smile:

Just to throw you off.. if you are looking for a quick and easy plane.. look at the Carenado/Alabeo Seminole.  Modern trainer, great looking cockpit, GTN 750 compatible..

https://www.simforums.com/forums/f1-g600-in-seminole_topic59493.html

ps Screenshot includes optional G600.. a steam gauge option is standard.

  • Like 1

Bert

Share this post


Link to post

Agree with any recommendations for the Milviz 310R or BE55 Baron,  Beyond those If you are interested in a very good, higher flying fast twin and not rooted in glass panel avionics, the original Carenado C90 King Air is really good, but the best upgraded avionics I am aware of is the Reality XP GNS v2 series.  I recently licensed the Carenado DA62 and am disappointed in the G1000 implementation, even with another user's very good GTN750 modification.  Just setting the altimeter is a pain!  But the rest of the Carenado G1000-based offerings follow suit!

My go to high fast twin is still the Real Air Turbine Duke v2, but sadly it is no longer available.  Wish someone would work out a deal to take it under the wing.

  • Like 2

Frank Patton

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 MOB; i7 4790 4.4Ghz; 16gb DDR3 2300; MSI GTX970 4gb Gaming 100ME, Coolermaster Pro 5 case, Corsair H100i

Former USAF meteorologist and ground weather school instructor; AOPA Member #07379126

There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit! - Benjamin Jowett

 

Share this post


Link to post

MilViz Cessna 310R is super nice! 🙂

Vertx DA62 is real nice and has G1000 in it.

Flysimware has a real nice Cessna 441 Conquest II turboprop that can use the GTN750.

  • Like 1

My PC: I7-7700K 4.9 Ghz (OC), ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, EVGA 850 G3 Gold power supply, C:=1TB WD Black D:=1TB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro, Windows 10 Pro, Prepar3D v4, AFS2, Tons of Orbx 🙂

https://www.flickr.com/photos/buffy-foster/ || https://buffyfostersblog.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post

I'll toss another +1 for the MilViz 310.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have lot's of planes but I do like my 310R with these modifications.

[flight_tuning]
p_factor_on_yaw   = 1.0  //p_factor_on_yaw  = -0.3
torque_on_roll       = 1.0  //torque_on_roll   = 0.3

[GeneralEngineData]
Engine.0 = 6.5, -0.5, 0.0  //Engine.0 = 6.5, -5.8, 0.0
Engine.1 = 6.5,  0.5, 0.0  //Engine.1 = 6.5,  6.2, 0.0

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 2600x, Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence @3200MHz, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, P3D on WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

OK, that gives you more options :smile:

The community has developed GTN mods and enhancements for a whole list of Carenado planes.

The Flight1 King Air and Vertx DA62 are complete, out of the box.. no fixing required.

I quite like my C90GTX with a GTN mod.. but there is also the PC12 or C421.. etc

Have a look here:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54606&title=gtn-750-in-c90-gtx

If you do get a Carenado plane, check out the user mods (send me a PM) :wink:

Thanks all I'm impressed with the responses. I'd like to clarify something around the Milviz. Are we talking about the original C310R, or the newer 'Redux' version? Which one is best (or is that another can of worms)? You know, I must have half a dozen PC/PS4 games I've never installed, let alone played, not sure why I'm deliberating so much over one plane purchase. Anyway, I know the one after this will be the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 (although I don't know whether to go pilot or pro version lol).

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, markgixer6 said:

Thanks all I'm impressed with the responses. I'd like to clarify something around the Milviz. Are we talking about the original C310R, or the newer 'Redux' version? Which one is best (or is that another can of worms)?

Definitely the 310R Redux.  It's the same FDE, but with much upgraded textures, the Milviz/Rex wx radar and full support for GNS or GTN GPS's.

Scott

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

@markgixer6FYI, the Alabeo 310R has the better/more realistic FDE and of course the nicer textures. 

That said, comparing the C90 and the 310 is means comparing apples and oranges. For VFR flying the C90 is IMO more suitable,  not at least due to the much better visibility from the VC! 

The engine nacelles and the main tanks are considerable obstructing the view in the 310.

Furthermore the aircraft performance difference between a piston twin and a turboprop is like day and night.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...