Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

22 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

My guess would be that most VR users, myself included, used TrackIR.

I'd be interested in getting some numbers.

The ability to look around would be a definite selling point for those who only had the hat switch before VR.  

I haven't seen many people actually down on VR.  It doesn't meet my needs, that's all.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I have the HP Reverb, and the visuals are absolutely stunning in XP 11. I get 50fps around SFO, with moderate scenery, full textures, and satellite scenery. I turned off antialiasing, since it is really not needed at 2160x2100 per eye. 

I assume the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will a more efficient graphics engine, so VR shouldn’t be a problem.  That stated, I will never fly without VR again.  

My Hardware: I9-9900k, 1080Ti

• Like 1

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

13 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

I have the HP Reverb, and the visuals are absolutely stunning in XP 11. I get 50fps around SFO, with moderate scenery, full textures, and satellite scenery. I turned off antialiasing, since it is really not needed at 2160x2100 per eye. 

I assume the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will a more efficient graphics engine, so VR shouldn’t be a problem.  That stated, I will never fly without VR again.  

My Hardware: I9-9900k, 1080Ti

Awesome report about the Reverb!

My plan was to get into one this year --- and then literally that is when the MSFS surprise happened, so I'm now just on the sidelines waiting to see what we'll need for MSFS next year, and also I suppose who knows what might happen with headsets between now and then.

Edited by irrics

There is no doubt MSFS 2020 will support VR. To think otherwise makes no sense at this point. Some of us like 2D monitors, some like 2D monitors and track IR, some like VR. Others like myself happen to use all three methods depending on the mood and time available. Not having VR support by MSFS 2020 at this point would be like modeling an aircraft without wings.

Edited by rjetster1

I have an oculus rift and beside using it every now and then (mainly just to show friends what it’s like to be honest) it doesn’t get much regular use for me. I know it’s boring to say, but the resolution is too word not allowed and I prefer a nice crisp 4k image with graphical bells and whistles right now. I don’t think I’ll really come back in to vr properly until maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation when the technology is a lot better - I am certain that the future of gaming is vr (assuming it survives the next few years), but it isn’t the present for me at least. 

Having said all that I’m quite keen to try the new version of no mans sky in VR this weekend 🙂

I've never owned a VR headset.  I have thought about buying one for Elite Dangerous a few times but I get tired of that game pretty regularly, taking long extended breaks, so I've never justified the expense.  Plus I'm not sure my i5-2500K with a GTX970 could handle VR anyway.

However, if FS2020 is worth it I'll be building a new PC for it, and yeah if FS2020 supports VR then I just might finally have a good reason to buy a headset.  Flying in a photorealistic virtual world with a modern simulator does sound very appealing.

My only advice would be to try one for a few days if you can first. There is an initial wow moment (on oculus there is a setup app that suddenly puts you in a caravan type thing with a robot and it’s a properly mind-blowing moment) and then you start to realise all the current flaws. Depends then on whether you can see past them or not (literally in some cases). 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 10:03 AM, vortex681 said:

Existing high-end systems can struggle with the current VR headsets in many games. Just imagine what running 2x4k panels would do to the average setup! The gaming market for these would be so small it wouldn't make them economically viable. It would be better to try to make a headset which could genuinely show a sharp full HD image with high framerates. Or, better still, a real 2k image.

As a VR owner for the last 3 years I have to say this statement could be a little missleading. Many titles made for VR and quite a few with bolt on VR play very well on my old sandbridge 2600 CPU and GTX 1070 graphics card with my Oculus Rift including Project Cars, Aerofly FS 2 and DCS World.

Some simulators:racing / flying though will demand that you have the latest hardware and yet you still probably have to compromise a little especially with headsets which have much higher resolution but the experience is well worth it.

27 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Many titles made for VR and quite a few with bolt on VR play very well on my old sandbridge 2600 CPU and GTX 1070 graphics card with my Oculus Rift including Project Cars, Aerofly FS 2 and DCS World.

Some titles are less demanding than others in VR. Relatively speaking, the Rift is old tech now (and less demanding) in VR terms, but even the new tech just can't match what you see on a monitor for clarity. I definitely think the the new sim should be VR-compatible but I don't think that the current hardware is good enough to do it justice yet.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

the Rift is old tech now (and less demanding) in VR terms, but even the new tech just can't match what you see on a monitor for clarity.

I have Rift and Odyssey, as well as HP Reverb. No exaggeration...the sharpness of the Reverb in XP 11 is way beyond my other headsets.

Complaints about VR not being there yet, are mostly unfounded. I don’t need to turn on antialiasing (although it is even sharper), with the same or better performance. I can see individual papi lights at distance, and read instruments without leaning in. In other words, I am completely satisfied.

Do I suggest that you buy the Reverb? That depends on your IPD (mine is 67). The HP Reverb Pro includes a 3 year warranty.  If you are into sims, and want the sharpest VR experience, get the Reverb or wait for other headsets with 2160x2160 or better screens.

I doubt will see improvements within 2 years, get it now before PC VR is even more expensive. It seems most companies are pulling out of PC VR, unless they can profit on there own store, or charge more for the hardware.

My System: i9-9900k (5ghz), 32gb ram, 1080ti

• Upvote 1

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

Yesterday I bought a Rift S since I have a rather low spec PC for VR and even with the limited FOV and rather fuzzy scenery it's a great experience, even for a RW pilot like me.

I can't imagine what an unbelievable experience it must be for people who have never flown an aircraft IRL.

TIR doesn't provide even 10% if the immersion of VR.

I fully understand people who are saying that once you've tried any flightsim in VR (Aerofly FS2 is simply breathtaking) that there's no going back to 2D and/or TIR!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I fully understand people who are saying that once you've tried any flightsim in VR (Aerofly FS2 is simply breathtaking) that there's no going back to 2D and/or TIR!

Yeah. VR just ruins the 2D experience for me.

It literally makes me want to be in VR or nothing for flight simulation

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, Superdelphinus said:

I have an oculus rift and beside using it every now and then (mainly just to show friends what it’s like to be honest) it doesn’t get much regular use for me. I know it’s boring to say, but the resolution is too word not allowed and I prefer a nice crisp 4k image with graphical bells and whistles right now. I don’t think I’ll really come back in to vr properly until maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation when the technology is a lot better - I am certain that the future of gaming is vr (assuming it survives the next few years), but it isn’t the present for me at least. 

Having said all that I’m quite keen to try the new version of no mans sky in VR this weekend 🙂

Ditto!!!

Until I can get 4K per eye in my VR my rift will sit shelved while I use TIR!

Cant stand the horrible screen door effect and super blury textures!

Chris Camp

This sim was made for VR (literally if you think of its HoloLens origins 😊)

When I first tried VR I was disappointed with the horrible resolution and SDE but hings have improved a lot now.

Index is a solid HMD but you will be able to get 4k per eye with pretty much zero SDE well before FS2020 comes out, it is just very expensive. 

I have a full VR racing cockpit soon to add motion, but even with a 2080ti I struggle to play things smoothly sometimes and it takes a lot of tweaking to my sims to get things just right. 

For FS2020 I think I'd prefer to keep flying on my 43" 4k monitor until hardware catches up.

Edited by patmons