Sign in to follow this  
GeoSkyman

P3D4.5 HF CPU

Hi please need some advise.

have i7 6700K Intel Skylane pc 4.0 GHz to 4.2 GHz turbo 32 GB Ram, GTX 1080ti.

Is it worth to overklock the CPU  for better performance and up to what high can be  Overclocked?

4.5 4.6 or 4.7 GHz?

Please give me advise if it is worth for performance.

Thank you in advance 

Geo

There is no definitive answer to this.

I have the same CPU and the best, stable P3D I can get is with 4.4. BUT.... P3D on my system does not like overclocks higher than that and will always crash.

Any small amount will help though.

Basically it is trial and error.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Cool, and what core voltage do you use?

is 1.325 good?

or better 135 volts

as I hear if you experience crashes you need to increase the core voltage

Safe is between 1.2 and max 1.4  volts 

is this correct?

Edited by georgiosgiannoukos

Again, this is highly individual and depending on the quality of your specific CPU, the mainboard you use, the RAM you use and the cooling system you use. Overclocking is basically really simple, but you need to read at least some guides online... 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

My old set-up was an i7 6700K Skylake. Had it overclocked 3+ years at 4,6ghz  and didnt lose a beat. The 6700k was particularily pleasant to OC with lots of headroom for the added temperature.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

I run my FSX Installation with a 6700K at 4.5GHZ and it does a stallion job. Just as well,  I can't run FSX on anything else due to the lack of install key codes.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Hi, I overclocked mine at 4.6 Ghz  at 1.38 volts stable at benchmark But the P3D still crashes. WHY?

Temp at idle is 35 c and in heavy load close to 50c

no problems with temps

Edited by georgiosgiannoukos

I can also run a stress test at 4.6 with increased volts. but P3D doesn't like it.

As I posted  " the best, stable P3D I can get is with 4.4. BUT.... P3D on my system does not like overclocks higher than that and will always crash. "

It's a fact of life that no two systems are ever equal.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

You are right, I’m sure P3D likes high GHz and most probably doesn’t like overclocking. 

I will try with 4.4 and 1,35 v and see

whats your voltage at 4.4 ?

hows the temps ?

George

Giorgo,

I'm not sure it's worth the hustle.

At stock speeds it will boost up to 4.2, The extra 0.2 will give you next to nothing in terms of performance but might increase the chance for CTDs

I run stock voltage and have corsair liquid cooling.

Hi, having the CPU voltage at 1.45 volts, what’s the most accurate way to Monitor the Temperature?

Speed fan is good?

thank you

On 8/9/2019 at 6:28 AM, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Hi, I overclocked mine at 4.6 Ghz  at 1.38 volts stable at benchmark But the P3D still crashes. WHY?

Temp at idle is 35 c and in heavy load close to 50c

no problems with temps

AVX most of benchmarks dont use avx instructions P3D use it, mostly short bursts with AVX instructions that can trigger a crash

had a 6700k 2016 here is a screen Rog realbench, with good cooling i  recomend max 1.425v 1.45 is little high

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkbbrhzg12td7vj/realb 4.9-1.375-1t.png?dl=0

Edited by westman