Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

Win-10 9/11/2019 Update Problem

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

But if anyone has signed up for the MFS alpha program

I was partly through the signup program but can't finish because I can't run dxdiag over my current connection - so that's all taken care of! 😎 Seriously, though, point taken - I started the signup when I thought I had everything worked out.  Since I don't, I'll hold in place.

Re: Apple vs. Microsoft - I never liked the loss of flexibility (or the price premium) that comes with Apple.  But at the end of the day I need a work computer with a bulletproof Internet connection, and I may have no choice but to vote my wallet.  Waiting, though, 'til I see what I can manage to sort out.

8 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Also thinking, for the first time, that maybe there's something to be said for Macs...

No...absolutely not. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

16 hours ago, SolRayz said:

No...absolutely not. 

And yet, for internet connectivity, I'd consider changing my religion.

My latest - as of last night I was able to load some websites but not others - got hangs on iCloud, Twitter and Sim-Outhouse (so it couldn't have been a traffic volume thing).  Spent a couple of hours flushing DNS caches and giving myself a crash course in DNS addressing.  Windows troubleshooter said the problem was with my cable modem.  Comcast/Xfinity said there was nothing wrong with the cable modem. My iPhones and iPad are connecting with no problems, for what that's worth. Gave up at about 2 a.m.  Just now, booted the work laptop and everything loaded.  No network access problems at all - as long as I use wifi, ethernet is still borked. 

I'm currently on Windows 10.18362.267.  Most recently loaded update is KB4505903.  Windows updater tells me I'm fully up to date - does that mean that subsequent builds have been withdrawn?

Really at a loss here.  But I'm not going to argue with success for however long it holds - won't push any more buttons 'til the next breakdown.

Sheesh!

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

And here I was beginning to think I had imagined this.

Good to get some kind of confirmation.

Although... as of this morning, the ethernet connection came back to life - including on one that had KB4515384 installed.  I have no idea why. 

Just to be safe, I've removed KB4515384 from both machines and paused updates.

Now I'm going to go sacrifice something to the Microsoft Gods so that they'll keep my connections healthy...

I rolled back to a previous acronis backup of Windows from a few days before the update, and changed the group policy to prevent updating. That was ignored, obviously, and left me back at square 1. Ended up instead restoring just the d3d9.dll in system32\   from the pre-update version, and it's working fine.

Edited by crap_landing_dave

Dave Hyde

crap_landing_dave

Thanks, that helps a lot.  Definitely seeing the "network connection (n)" identifiers.  So that helps narrow it down as a driver and/or registry issue.  Problems set in as soon as the (n) identifiers appeared.  And the impact extends to the primary connection.  When problems occur - as just happened again on one machine after a remote router reset - they're typically associated with the message that there's no IPv4 connection on the device that's acting up.

I'm at a bit of a loss where to go from here.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into my personal tech support, but if you, or anyone else reading this, has anything to suggest, feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance!  I'll keep hacking away at it in the meantime.

I had similar problems here with my internet connection here in Australia after changing over to our new Broadband service a couple of months ago.

I messed around with it for weeks trying to solve, "Page not Found", not connecting at all, and taking ages to connect to known good sites. All in all my internet was a mess.

The problem is now solved, I now have a rock solid internet connection and my download speeds are way better.

I downloaded DNS Benchmark from  https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm  and ran it.

It finds the fastest DNS server closest to you, actually it gives a wide selection, all rated according to speed and response time. You just have to plug in the addresses into the local area network properties, DNS server address boxes and away you go.

I now use 139.130.4.4 as primary and 129.250.35.250 as alternative. These addresses will be different for you as it depends on where you live.

The program takes about 20 minutes to run but the results are amazing.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Edited by ChrisDa
Typo
  • Upvote 1

Fortunately, Zero issues with the new Windows update.....combined with Nvidia's latest driver, 436.30.  My frames and performance in P3d are exceptionally smooth and my flights are enjoyable with no issues.  The new video driver seems to make scenery crisp and clear at all altitudes.

Certainly hope those who are having issues can sort it out.

Stan

1 hour ago, ChrisDa said:

The problem is now solved, I now have a rock solid internet connection and my download speeds are way better.

I downloaded DNS Benchmark from  https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm  and ran it.

Thanks!

I notice that the product page lists Windows 7 compatibility, but not Windows 10.  The CNet download page does say it's Windows 10 compatible.

According to your sig, you're a W7 user (oh, and about that - congratulations! Good judgment on your part).  Do you know offhand if it can be used in W10?

I appreciate the help!

Edited by Alan_A

Yep, it is Windows 10 compatible, I have run it on my other computer and on the wife's and both are Windows 10.

The program was last updated on Apr 21, 2019

Chris

Edited by ChrisDa
Typo

On 9/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, JRBarrett said:

This update has also caused some sound issues in X-Plane. Those using the Rotate MD-80 report that they have lost the APU sound when the update is present. Apparently uninstalling the update fixes the problem.

I had sound issues as well. The short version is that P3D had normal volume. GSX, RC4, and the ASP4 weather reports were all extremely low in volume. The fix for me was to go to Settings -> Sound -> Device Properties (under "Output" - mine is set to 'Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio). On the right side of the device properties screen, click "Additional Device Properties". You now have a dialog box entitled "Speakers Properties". I changed the 'Default Format' on the "Advanced" tab to '24 bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)' and everything is now playing at the proper volume level.

2 hours ago, spilok said:

Fortunately, Zero issues with the new Windows update.....combined with Nvidia's latest driver, 436.30.  My frames and performance in P3d are exceptionally smooth and my flights are enjoyable with no issues.  The new video driver seems to make scenery crisp and clear at all altitudes.

Certainly hope those who are having issues can sort it out.

Stan

YES. I agree, Stan. Best flight sim experience I've ever had. And I'm on the new Orbx Central to boot. No problems at all. Everything in libraries except Global Base.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

This windows update has prevented REX EF and SF from starting up (briefly appears in task manager, then shuts down again after about 2 seconds).  Uninstalling the Win update fixed this, but I'd rather not disable updates for Win10.

I also have the sound problem with RC4, but that seemed to be just before the latest update.

beta.gif

OK, finally making some progress.  It took me too long, but I finally realized late yesterday that my bad connections were correlated with IPv4 connectivity failure ("no network connection" message on the IPv4 Connectivity line in the adapter status dialogue).  That pointed to a driver problem.  Just spent the morning downloading and installing drivers. I've got one machine - the work one - fully back up and running - using a Realtek ethernet driver and a Dell wireless adapter driver.  On the flightsim rig, I've got wireless fixed thanks to an Edimax driver, but no luck so far with ethernet - neither the Intel nor the TP-Link adapters work (I've got both installed).  So the solutions are still hit-and-miss, but seem to be driver-dependent.  Going shopping now for a Realtek card for the flightsim machine.  Posting this in case anybody else who's following this thread has similar issues.  If it's something different, you might still want to look at drivers - and make sure you're downloading them from the manufacturer's site, to be sure you've got the latest.  As always, hope this helps.

EDIT: BTW, the reason I was able to connect to some websites but not others is that I had IPv6 connectivity on all devices all the time.  So I could resolve those addresses but not the IPv4 ones.  Again, noting this in case it's helpful for anybody else running diagnostics - IPv4 failure turned out to be my reliable surrogate marker for all the other issues.

Edited by Alan_A

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310