Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

1 minute ago, irrics said:

The HoloLens is mixed reality. 

That’s a completely different cut of steak that has different applications than straight up VR.

Well duh!

I said *like* the Hololens.  Basically, modified however they need to make it work for VR.  But if it totally covers my eyes, it is NO SALE, even if Hades does freeze over.

I'm hoping to see a new design not based on what has been done before.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 minute ago, LHookins said:

Well duh!

I said *like* the Hololens.  Basically, modified however they need to make it work for VR.  But if it totally covers my eyes, it is NO SALE, even if Hades does freeze over.

I'm hoping to see a new design not based on what has been done before.

Hook

Hook, there is no VR that’s “like” MR.  

You are either one or the other by definition.

The whole point of VR is total immersion. That’s what sells the experience so completely to the brain. 

If it’s “no sale” for you that is fine… Not everything need appeal to everyone

Edited by irrics

14 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I'm expecting something from Asobo like the Hololens.  I'd prefer they take the time to do it right.

Do you want it right, or do you want it Wednesday?

Hook

I want a usable peace of product. So wednesday "Want it right"...is not specified and would be seen different from person to person. I want at least same performance as P3D and use at least my mouse to click knobs and handles and so on. No controller usage needed in my eyes. As my arms become tired while longer flying and not capable of having real stick or yokes in my hand to rest on them and have better handling feedback. With hmd controllers I am floating with them in the air which is unstable and not as precisly as with yokes or sticks. And panel importing in hmd can be done by 3. Party tools like OVR or Oculus. So..... ot that much requirements in my eyes. 

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

4 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Do you want it right, or do you want it Wednesday?

Wednesday.

It's software, not building a bridge. You can make something work, ship it as an "unsupported" feature, then overhaul it later.

If Asobo don't include it, someone will inevitably do what FlyInside FSX does, decompile the shaders and do an ugly hack to make it work, then charge everyone $39 for the effort.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LHookins said:

But if it totally covers my eyes, it is NO SALE, even if Hades does freeze over.

The whole point of VR is that it immerses you and blocks out the real world.

I'd imagine that the market for a VR headset that lets light from the outside world flooding in is extremely small.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

With hmd controllers I am floating with them in the air which is unstable and not as precisly as with yokes or sticks.

Good Heavens, people actually DO this in a flight sim?  

I have high hopes that Microsoft will reintroduce a line of force feedback controllers, which I might buy myself.  The biggest complaint from real world pilots in the seminar was that the Logitech controllers didn't feel enough like a real aircraft which affected their perception of the flight model.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

I have high hopes that Microsoft will reintroduce a line of force feedback controllers

Now there is something I wholeheartedly agree with you on.

I still have my MSFS FF right next to me. 

It’s amazing to me that force feedback got dropped over the years. It adds so much, especially when trying to trim out an aircraft. 

Edited by irrics

2 minutes ago, nickhod said:

I'd imagine that the market for a VR headset that lets light from the outside world flooding in is extremely small.

The market for any VR headset is extremely small.

Keep in mind that you aren't necessarily going for the current VR user, but a lot of new users that a new sim will bring to the table.  Current users can keep using the equipment they already have.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Other than external cameras that can activate to show you your real world around you for positioning, I can’t think of any reason a VR user would want to be thrown into the normal world or have light leaking in from the sides.

That literally flies in the face of the entire point of virtual reality 

46 minutes ago, irrics said:

I have no idea why there is all this opposition to VR from those that don't care to use it.

I agree, it´s starting to sound somehow embarrassing.

On the other hand the developers stated that VR is now their first priority, so can we move on and enter 21st century now?

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I have high hopes that Microsoft will reintroduce a line of force feedback controllers, which I might buy myself.  

Hook

A force-feedback yoke I am able to pay for would be heaven. I only had a chance twice to take control in a real aircraft, and was amazed about the difference between forces acting on a real Cessna yoke and my Saitek toy.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, P3D Professional 5, AeroflyFS2, XP11; Beta tester of SimStarter, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB +  4 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 /  XTOP/Saitek hardware panel / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

5 minutes ago, pmb said:

A force-feedback yoke I am able to pay for would be heaven. I only had a chance twice to take control in a real aircraft, and was amazed about the difference between forces acting on a real Cessna yoke and my Saitek toy.

Kind regards, Michael

Count me in, too. I had de microsoft joystick with force feed back many years ago, and it was pretty amazing back then.

A yoke would not be cheap, but worth every penny. 

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

The market for any VR headset is extremely small.

So everyone keeps saying, without quoting real figures, and yet...

"global shipments for VR headsets reached 1.9 million units in the quarter"

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS44509518

6 - 8 million units a year of anything is not "extremely small". By comparison, the XBox One has sold around 41 million units total since launch.

It's a $3 - 4 billion / year market right now, and just getting started.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nickhod said:

So everyone keeps saying, without quoting real figures, and yet...

"global shipments for VR headsets reached 1.9 million units in the quarter"

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS44509518

6 - 8 million units a year of anything is not "extremely small". By comparison, the XBox One has sold around 41 million units total since launch.

It's a $3 - 4 billion / year market right now, and just getting started.

And just to add onto that thought, this new flight simulator could be a showcase benchmark program to catapult the next generation of virtual reality.

VR is always in need of killer apps 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Yah. DTG said the same thing. I'm tending towards thinking this will be right up there with seasons in X-Plane....... 😋

Let's hope I'm wrong, since the questionnaire for the alpha specifically asked questions about VR

DTG is a garbage developer. Sorry, but it’s true.