Sign in to follow this  
Casualcas

Buy addons? Or stand pat?

Good point someone brought up in another thread, but let's expand that...

Who's going to keep buying addons, or are you in wait and see mode now.

Honestly? If it's a wow factor, I would probably buy it. But its gotta knock my socks off. Like accufeel did for me

I don't want to come off sounding "self-serving" but consider this my friends and fellow simmers...

If everyone "holds off" for the next year (or more) many - if not most! - developers will be out of business. After all, developers and their team members have to eat and pay bills too!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good for you Fr. Bill. It is about time some Dev's spoke up. This is all getting more silly by the day. Many newer folks do not know that the last time Dev's tried to deal with MS the reports were that the MS boys were really trying to dump on the Dev's. Just a theory but it is something to consider....by this stupid slow roll of a release where you guys get all excited every week on the same day over the promise of the "Flight Sim of the Gods" which is not a new engine as you were all excited about but a dressed up FSX/Flight in a new box. That is if they can make it work in what another 14 months with "200" developers working on it. This may be great in 2-4 years and I hope it is! That is no reason to let a marketing group lead us around by the nose.

Edited by shivers9
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

which is not a new engine as you were all excited about but a dressed up FSX/Flight in a new box.

What do you mean by this ^? Are you implying that asobo uses the FSX game engine?

Maybe i didn't understand what you meant, English isn't my first language.

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a 

If you actually meant that, Then listen to this interview ^ at the minute 3:07 they start talking about the differences between FS2020 vs FSX physics simulation(they reused and remade some FSX physics), They talk about the improvements they made to aerodynamics(going from 1 point simulation to over a thousand, etc). At the minute 10:40 they start talking about asobo's game engine and the modern features it has.

They use FSX physics as a base, But that doesn't mean that this is just FSX with a new engine and pretty graphics. The aerodynamics simulation is literally over a thousand times better.

Edited by Lokote1998
  • Like 2

Prepar3d is my sim. If I see something I want I'll buy it if I think it will enhance my simming in some way.

For the time being the Oz man behind the curtain hasn't changed my plans a bit.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

I don't want to come off sounding "self-serving" but consider this my friends and fellow simmers...

If everyone "holds off" for the next year (or more) many - if not most! - developers will be out of business. After all, developers and their team members have to eat and pay bills too!

I guess that's why I'm asking cause it's been brought up 😞

I buy so few things that a new flight sim doesn't affect my buying plans one bit.  

We knew A2A was working on a P3D version of the Piper J3 Cub before we heard about MSFS and I determined to buy it when it was released.  That has not changed. 

Other aircraft that A2A may have in the works are things I'm likely to buy even *after* MSFS is released, simply because unless A2A makes them for the new sim, they simply won't exist.  If no one is aware, A2A made the F-104 and F-4 Phantom for military training purposes and are considering releasing it to the public.  The chances of getting a military training grade F-104 anywhere else are... a bit slim.  Even if MSFS has become my main sim by the time those are released I'll still buy them for P3D even if that's the only thing I fly there.

There may be other vendors I'd be interested in as well.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

With the exception of DCS, I divested myself of the flight sim hobby 7 or 8 years ago. I sold all my hardware, uninstalled FSX and got busy with other things.

A few things over the years caught my eye and tempted me to come back to the hobby. P3D in any of its incarnations was not one of them. But i was a bit envious of those flying the Q400 and the CRJ-700.

The closest I came to returning was when I saw videos of XP11's night environment and the IXEG 737-300. I very nearly purchased both, but in the I never pulled the trigger.

But I'll be purchasing MSFS. I dont care if it's a hundred dollars, or a subscription, or whatever. It's the sim I've wanted since I was just a boy.

All of that being said, and all due respect to addon developers, the landscape has been relatively static for a very long period of time. Simmers have had little choice but to spend money on every kind of addon under the sun, just to keep putting BandAids on things. Cameras, sky textures, cloud textures, tree textures, weather generators, ATC, AI traffic, ground servicing and pushback, and on and on.

The community really stepped up and filled the role of innovators and content producers for more than a decade since MS walked away. We really made the best of it during those long dark days, and I think everyone from simmer to developer should be proud of the ecosystem they built and maintained.

But...

I don't think I should have to purchase a dozen addons just to get a simulator up to baseline standards. I think the platform creator should do everything in its power to create an all-encompassing, top-to-bottom solution containing all the core functionality expected of other AAA titles. It looks like MS is doing exactly that and if true, it means there's going to be less space for addon developers to dabble. And I'm fine with that.

I'll happily purchase addon aircraft and specialized airport scenery, but I hope the days of 69 different utilities and tools and patches and fixes are over.

Unfortunately, that would necessarily mean that some talented and industrious developers will either need to adapt or go out of business. 

Personally, if I actually had a sim installed right now, I'd be happy to purchase a REAL addon like an aircraft or airport scenery in order to support the developer during the transition to MSFS. 

But how many developers have even announced such a transition? I don't agree with the sentiment that users are responsible for keeping developers afloat while they decide what to do. Some loyal customers might be willing to do that, but most won't (or shouldn't).

I genuinely hope that most quality developers already have agreements with MSFS, or have otherwise internally decided on a course of action. I hope it's just NDA legalities causing the absolute lack of information coming from big-name developers, because I want to see 717s, and 777s, and A320s in the new MSFS.

But I dont want to be admonished by said developers if they're slow to adapt. Fortune favors the bold. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Good for you Fr. Bill. It is about time some Dev's spoke up. This is all getting more silly by the day. Many newer folks do not know that the last time Dev's tried to deal with MS the reports were that the MS boys were really trying to dump on the Dev's. Just a theory but it is something to consider....by this stupid slow roll of a release where you guys get all excited every week on the same day over the promise of the "Flight Sim of the Gods" which is not a new engine as you were all excited about but a dressed up FSX/Flight in a new box. That is if they can make it work in what another 14 months with "200" developers working on it. This may be great in 2-4 years and I hope it is! That is no reason to let a marketing group lead us around by the nose.

by this stupid slow roll of a release where you guys get all excited every week on the same day over the promise of the "Flight Sim of the Gods" which is not a new engine as you were all excited about but a dressed up FSX/Flight in a new box.

Have to agree with you, getting all excited every week over a 7 second video is an insult.  

• Like 2

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

14 minutes ago, simaddict said:

by this stupid slow roll of a release where you guys get all excited every week on the same day over the promise of the "Flight Sim of the Gods" which is not a new engine as you were all excited about but a dressed up FSX/Flight in a new box.

Have to agree with you, getting all excited every week over a 7 second video is an insult.  

This week we got 35 minutes of gameplay

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

What the heck are you talking about?

• Upvote 8

19 minutes ago, simaddict said:

We got 35 minutes of gameplay and hours of hands-on reaction from community members this week as well as numerous developer interviews.

This is the most open I've ever seen a company about a game that's still a year out outside of maybe some indie projects.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, bonchie said:

What the heck are you talking about?

I was responding to shivers9's post. Where is the 35 minutes of gameplay? I'm an insider, and didn't see that?

Thanks,

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

5 minutes ago, simaddict said:

I was responding to shivers9's post. Where is the 35 minutes of gameplay? I'm an insider, and didn't see that?

Thanks,

Mike

If you don't mind commentary, This one is at 4K.

Edited by Lokote1998