Sign in to follow this  
Thac

Do you currently use VR in your current flight sim?

Do you currently use VR for your flight sim?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. With all of the discussion on VR being included in Flight Simulator, how many people currently use VR?

I knew the pitchforks would be out and I also expected a retaliatory poll would come out after. Who uses ATC? please, I already knew the answer to that one, that wasn't asked out of curiosity, that's the "me too" movement 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

None of the points you've raised have highlighted errors in my original post which is what I'd asked for in the part of the post you quoted.

You were saying that the poll is irrelevant unless you consider it against the total of all AV Sim members.

The only way to put this into perspective is, when this poll finally closes, to look at the total number (not percentage) of people who said they use VR and then relate that to the total number of Avsim members. Any other way of doing it is simply not realistic or representative.

That would be meaningless because not every AV sim member has seen the poll.

The poll is a valid sample of people who visit this sub-forum regularly enough to read recent posts.

Just now, Casualcas said:

I knew the pitchforks would be out and I also expected a retaliatory poll would come out after. Who uses ATC? please, I already knew the answer to that one, that wasn't asked out of curiosity, that's the "me too" movement 

Where are the "pitchforks"? Where are the incorrect comments about VR? Where are the attempts to stop VR support in MSFS? If you can't answer these questions with supporting evidence, your post is simply emotive and inflammatory.

Why should the ATC poll be in retaliation to this one? Are you so worried about VR support that you think that it's the only feature that's allowed to have a poll? Everyone can use ATC, even if they choose not to - it's not dependent on hardware. The same can't be said for VR.

12 minutes ago, nickhod said:

The poll is a valid sample of people who visit this sub-forum regularly enough to read recent posts.

No, it's not. It's only a sample of those who can be bothered to vote and VR users have already shown that they're much more likely to vote than non-VR users. I'd guess that many members who visit this forum haven't voted. The bottom line is that we just don't know, which is why the poll can't be seen as being in any way representative. Just looking at the numbers involved, both polls can't possibly be show the feelings of the community as a whole and so are invalid as an indication of how many people who use flight sims globally use VR. Do you really think that a company the size of MS will not have done their market research and will need a few hundred votes in a poll to change their build plans and priorities for the new sim?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

I can't believe that there's another pointless poll here!

I thought the same thing, but then looked into who created the poll and how that person voted. Why don’t we ask that person?

I am confident will will continue to see these polls until the desired outcome is reached. Just sad.

Edited by daveinca2000
  • Like 1

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

2 minutes ago, daveinca2000 said:

Other I am confident will will continue to see these polls until the desired outcome is reached. Just sad.

Which outcome are we talking about?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Do you really think that a company the size of MS will not have done their market research and will need a few hundred votes in a poll to change their build plans and priorities for the new sim?

Actually, I believe Microsoft has indeed done its market research, and that's why they have decided to go ahead and prioritize vr.......

Pages and pages of... stuff, is not gonna change that, so.........

Yeah.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Actually, I believe Microsoft has indeed done its market research, and that's why they have decided to go ahead and prioritize vr.......

If that was really the case, why did they say at the press conference that it would likely not be in the initial release? Why say that if they already knew (from their market research) that it should be their priority? Just to stir up VR users?

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If that was really the case, why did they say at the press conference that it would likely not be in the initial release? Why say that if they already knew (from their market research) that it should be their priority? Just to stir up VR users?

It seems you have not been keeping up with the news. Afterwards, they said that due to all the requests for vr, they have decided to give it priority.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, daveinca2000 said:

To assuage the cognitive dissonance going on in here.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/cognitive-dissonance.html

I'm sorry but if that was supposed to answer my question, it was wasted on me! I'd just rather know which outcome you were referring to.

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Afterwards, they said that due to all the requests for vr, they have decided to give it priority.

I read that. What they didn't say was whether that was A priority or THE priority. I imagine it was always a priority over some lesser features.

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

I'm not even sure that half ... (

But, even if they are, ...

who is much more likely to participate...

None of the points you've raised have highlighted errors in my original post ... .

I was trying to give a balanced, alternative view to that given by those with VR hardware who are, understandably, very enthusiastic about it.

How can we find errors when no hard numbers are given when it's all personal opinion and full of if's and I. That's all you, and good for you. What I find amusing is you disagree with us, and that's fine. But when we disagree with generalities and speculations,  everyone is in a huff. Sorry to say, but all of us in here put our pants on the same way. I only knew one person that floated into his pants. We like what we like, and use the Sim for our purpose, as you do, and others. Stop trying to convince us of a right or wrong way, or as some others do, in relying on calling people idiots, children, ridiculous, and saying your doing it wrong. State your opinion, as you have already and move on. All of this is getting tiresome, geez, in 1998 I never saw this in here with Eric Ernst,  or Geoff Applegate of the community, this really is getting old, and honestly? It's going to scare alot of newcomers away, and its NOT going to behoove Avsim for people to maintain the elitist attitude they have. I for one dont know everything about everything, and very self deprecating, and nice to a fault, until I've had enough. And I'm about there with the know it all non fact based posts. And really? Let Microsoft deal with facts and statistics,  its their job. We need to have fun, that's our job

• Like 2

I’d encourage anyone who hasn’t tried VR to give it ago themselves as it’s impossible to describe in words, it simply has to be experienced first hand.

Obviously different people will want different things from their sim experience, personally I’m not the least bit bothered by seasons for example  , others will be, and some will always prefer a monitor.

However , from the perspective of being a simmer since the mid 80’s and an airline pilot since the early 90’s it’s my own opinion  that VR is the biggest thing to happen in home flight simulation since Bruce Artwick first sat down in front of his keyboard.

I’m so glad that Microsoft will be attempting VR on initial release. flying over that incredible scenery with  state of the art flight modelling will be an experience beyond what anyone could have even dreamt of just a few years ago. And for those who for what ever reason be it their age, finances, medical, whatever, can’t fly for real this will allow them to truly experience first hand the magic of flight and the power of flying machines , and at the end of the day that has to be what home simulation is all about , surely?

• Like 3

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

24 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

How can we find errors when no hard numbers are given

VR users overall: Steam survey - 1.1%

VR users in flight sims: Navigraph survey - 11% (from a rather restricted demographic), X-Plane survey - 2.06%

Are those hard numbers enough?

24 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

State your opinion, as you have already and move on.

and its NOT going to behoove Avsim for people to maintain the elitist attitude they have. 

I almost laughed out loud when I saw that you wrote this! Perhaps that applies equally to you?

Edited by vortex681

Barriers to widespread VR useand why market penetration is low:

1. Price of VR headsets.

2. Price of PC hardware neeed to support VR.

3. Ability of 3D apps to properly support VR.

4. The fact that the best consumer headsets still have resolutions less than half of what the human eye can perceive (60 pixels per degree).

Even given all that, in my opinion MS would be making a mistake in not making VR a top priority.

• Like 1