carbonbasedlifeform

You don't need to worry about X-Box Game Pass

X-Box Game Pass is the equivalent of Netflix. If you watch a lot of movies, Netflix can be great. It doesn't stop you from buying individual movies online. For X-Box games or for PC games, you don't need it to buy individual games. Even if something similar comes out for PC, it's going to be optional. You can still get it, but I imagine most AVSIM people won't be interested. And game pass is not the same thing as a gamer tag or a Microsoft gaming account. It's not relevant to a hypothetical MSFS2020 subscription one way or the other.

So just get it out of your mind.

Edited by carbonbasedlifeform
More info
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

X-Box Game Pass is the equivalent of Netflix. If you watch a lot of movies, Netflix can be great. It doesn't stop you from buying individual movies online. For X-Box games or for PC games, you don't need it to buy individual games. Even if something similar comes out for PC, it's going to be optional. You can still get it, but I imagine most AVSIM people won't be interested.

So just get it out of your mind.

Just a little correction, there's already a PC version of it. It's in beta and it costs 4.99 dollars. But all the rest you said on your post is correct.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/pc-games?source=lp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Just a little correction, there's already a PC version of it. It's in beta and it costs 4.99 dollars. But all the rest you said on your post is correct.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/pc-games?source=lp

Do you mean there is a version of getting the beta games to use with a PC, or there is already a version of MS Flight Simulator available there? I can't find MS Flight Simulator in the list of available beta games. 

I can not understand why you are all afraid of subscription.

The beauty and the size of this world does not fit on a hard disk we have at home. But MS still offers us the possibility of being streamed.

Servers cost money, and I'm glad to use this opportunity. That's why I'm ready to pay for it.

The question should be rather which price is appropriate.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

Do you mean there is a version of getting the beta games to use with a PC, or there is already a version of MS Flight Simulator available there? I can't find MS Flight Simulator in the list of available beta games. 

No MSFS will not be on there it will be on a closed insider test program, but you need a game pass for the insider program.

9 minutes ago, rjfry said:

but you need a game pass for the insider program.

Afaik you only need an XBox account for the insider program, not the payed game pass. An account is free and can be made without owning an XBox. I think it's time MS sheds some light on all this... 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

There's a Beta version of the XBOX GAME PASS for PC, with PC games available on its library. Not related to MSFS2020.

20 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

Do you mean there is a version of getting the beta games to use with a PC, or there is already a version of MS Flight Simulator available there?

Neither. There is a beta for the Xbox Game Pass for PC: with that you can play all available Windows games on a Windows 10 PC. XBox is a gaming service now. You can subscribe to it without owning an XBox. And MSFS isn't on it right now.

I thought this was clear from August pretty much, since that is when the topics about the Game Pass started to appear 🤣

Let's hope people understands it now!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

No, right now MSFS2020 is not part of that beta program. Go here to register: https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider-home/  for the current alpha/beta program.

3 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Because the program's release is still a year away?

No, to put an end to all the confusion. ;)

41 minutes ago, Pitbull2504 said:

I can not understand why you are all afraid of subscription.

Don't confuse people. 😉 The point of this thread is that game pass is irrelevant to the whole hypothetical subscription issue.

got rid of irrelevant part
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, rjfry said:

but you need a game pass for the insider program.

No you don't. You are probably confusing the MS gamertag with the game pass. Yes, you need a Microsoft gaming account but that is not what the game pass is. Again, forget about "game pass", including with respect to the beta.

clarification

I think it will depend how you use it for the full fat scenery steaming ?? 

3 hours ago, rjfry said:

No MSFS will not be on there it will be on a closed insider test program, but you need a game pass for the insider program.

No you don’t. I think you probably need an Xbox/ms login, but game pass is something completely different (I have the beta version on PC at the moment). 

sorry, saw someone already corrected this. 

Edited by Superdelphinus

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

I think it will depend how you use it for the full fat scenery steaming ?? 

No, nothing will depend on game pass - they’ve already said it will just be one of the ways you can access/ buy the game. 

1 hour ago, Superdelphinus said:

No, nothing will depend on game pass - they’ve already said it will just be one of the ways you can access/ buy the game. 

Latest XBOX update oct MSFS available on XBOX Gold pass 14.99 month when released. if that's true then the XBOX users are going to be subsidising PC users, that may cause some upset as they will outnumber simmers.   

The download version may be like FSX as you will not be streaming.

Edited by rjfry

7 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Latest XBOX update oct MSFS available on XBOX Gold pass 14.99 month when released. if that's true then the XBOX users are going to be subsidising PC users, that may cause some upset as they will outnumber simmers.   

Console gamers are used to pay for access to games through a monthly fee. Most of them only play a subset of the 100´s of games available to them anyway. The more games added, the better the service becomes.

Win - Win

5 minutes ago, espent said:

Console gamers are used to pay for access to games through a monthly fee. Most of them only play a subset of the 100´s of games available to them anyway. The more games added, the better the service becomes.

Win - Win

Agreed but with 3 versions on offer it`s possible the full streaming version may req subs something PC users will have to get used to in the future.

Subscription addons are not new to simmers.

Edited by rjfry

I am not sure how many attended the press event, but it said that they shared at 25Mbit connection. So the bandwidth requirements cant be that high. I guess Microsoft eats the data transport costs.

I don't know how many TB the XBOX datacenters uploads to users buying games every day is, but I think the data streaming part of FS2020 will be a very very small percentage in the overall picture.

In addition they have the Mixer service on XBOX where they are streaming 1080p video to hundred of thousands of users 24/7.

My guess is that FS2020 will increase the total upload for MS with  less than 0.1%.

Microsoft Azure was developed for the corporate customer they can host their company on Azure without the need to keep upgrading servers, gaming will probably be less than 0.1% when it starts. 

My daughter`s company is moving to Azure Cloud hosting at the moment, no more taking the company off line for a weekend to upgrade and then hope it works on Monday when they switch back on, 

Edited by rjfry