Sign in to follow this  
beefix

INstalling FS9 into Windows 10

I am about to install Windows 10 into my computer. Any tips on how to reinstall FS9 would be most welcome.

Rgds

Steve H

• Like 2

From what i have seen around, put it directly in C\ 

nebojsa

I've successfully used FS9 in my 2 previous laptops, with no major problems at all. Please be aware of the following:

1) Install it anywhere but in C:\Program files or C:\Program files (x86). Windows 10 is overzealous regarding security settings.

2) UAC must be disabled (reduced to its minimum setting), and all installers shall be ran as administrator.

3) Use the No-CD patch. Win10 does not allow the use of CDs for checking if your licence is legit.

4) Optional, but I had to do this in my laptops: run FS9 in windowed mode. If you need to use the full screen, fake it: I mean, there are some addons as Borderless Gaming that allow you to use the whole screen in windowed mode, with no title or task bars.

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Steve H,

I may be wrong, but from memory, (aged and feeble) I did not reinstall FS2004 when upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10.

Just delete your FS9/FS2004 exe file and then re-load the FS9.1 (if you have the update) or [removed ref other exe as that is still not allowed], and I was good to go.  Please note that I have always installed all my flight programmes on drives other than Drive C,

Luis is on the right track with para 1 in his response. DO NOT install in program or program (x86) under any circumstances.

As I said, it was a long time ago for my upgrade, so please let us know if this works for you.

Regards

Tony

Edited by Jim Young
Removed ref to an illegal crack. What one does in his own house is okay but not publically on the Internet.

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1. Must be installed into C:\ & not default C:\Program Files,

2. Must do the 9.1 update

3. Must use that patch that we cannot talk about!

4. Must run in Compatibilty  Mode (see Properties of the .exe)

5. Must run as Administrator (see Properties of the .exe)

My 7 versions of FS2004 in Windows 10 all work perfectly! 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hi Robin, 

I'm sorry if this is hi-jacking the post BUT - Can you please direct me to any info on running more than 1 version of FS9 (FS2004) in Win 10 please. I am having difficulties......

My apologies again and thanks.

Regards, 

Blue

Sure.. 

1. Copy the whole sim folder, and paste it back. 

2. Rename the new folder to, for example.. Classic Wings.. or any other suitable name. 

3. In that folder, find the FS2004.exe and rename it accordingly, for example to CW.exe

4. Right click that, and 'Send to Desktop create shortcut' 

5. You can rename that newly created shortcut to, as an example, Classic Wings, or anything suitable. 

If it gives an error, right click the shortcut, select Properties, select Compatibility, select XP, then select Run as Administrator

If you have a fresh install of FS2004, the copy proceedure will be quicker, and you can then save that 'virgin' install to a portable drive.. Makes it easier to copy and paste for multiple installs.. Don't forget the renaming! 

I've got 8 different themed installs, all working perfectly. 

The 2nd way is to do a 2nd install from the disks to C:\, NOT FORGETTING TO DO THE RENAMING OF THE FILES, THE. EXE, AND THE DESKTOP ICON. 

Do not forget the 9.1 update and the 9.1 patch. 

PM me if you have any issues. 

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

What is the  patch that we cannot talk about ?

nebojsa

Sorry, AVSIM does not allow any discussions regarding that. 

PM me if you have any issues. 

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Hi Robin, 

Many thanks for your response - my apologies for not thanking you earlier.

I will certainly try your method. 

Kind Regards, 

Blue

Hi Robin, 

I have tried your method for loading multiple copies of FS9 and the first additional version is up and running - Again, many thanks for your help.

If I may, I will impose upon your expertise with a couple of related question: I have 'FSrealWX Pro'  (a weather program used since the demise of the in program 'Real Weather' prog.) this little addon requires Pete Dowsons FSUIPC module to run. Having gotten my 'New' version of the Sim. to now run on Win10, I'm loathe to crash it by just loading anything else in.

Are you able to tell me if it's OK to use this module and an add-on weather program or similar please?

Also, I thought I might log the trips on this new version of the Sim. Do I need to alter anything else to facilitate use of the log book? (Use of this is not important - it was just an idea to log the separate flights.)

Many thanks again for your help - any observations in the use or running of additional versions gratefully received.

Kind Regards, 

Blue

No problem with FSUIPC at all. It's been perfect for all my installs. You can copy the FSUIPC.dll and there is another FSUIPC file, forgot the name, but I can check later, from the original install to any other install. I've never used the logbook, but it should work as normal. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

HI again Robin, 

Many thanks again for your help.

Also, apologies to BeeFix,  although Robin's answers do relate to your original query. I too am using Win 10 - his advice re copying/loading FS9 to that system has worked for me.

Kind Regards, 

Blue

Re-install FS 2004? Why not just wait for MSFT 2020 or go with fsx if you really can't wait. I would recommend go VR with flyinside, aerofly FS 2 and DCS. 🙂

Edited by Flybynumbers

Why? 

This is not about alternate suggestions. 

What is MSFT 2020?

Another self made up name? 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...