Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

PMDG dropped first shot of their new NG3

3 hours ago, pete_auau said:

and  you believe  anything  from google:)

No, I believe what Aerosoft`s boss has said.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

52 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Might just be that PMDG discovered XP breaks so much functionality with each update--even the minor ones--that they decided it wasn't worth having to undertake a major re-engineering and retesting effort every time a point release for XP appears.

I've had no trouble keeping the PMDG jets running at 30 fps ever since the i7-2600K build I did back in 2012.  So maybe an affinity for that old FSX/P3D is justified.

Indeed. And if I'm not mistaken, PMDG might have posted a comment to that effect a while ago. By all means, it seemed like the addon they were trying to convert, which I think was the JS4100, ran into issues that were not that easy to solve. Unlike what some people appear to assume, not ALL decisions a developer makes are based purely on emotions 😕 

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Might just be that PMDG discovered XP breaks so much functionality with each update--even the minor ones--that they decided it wasn't worth having to undertake a major re-engineering and retesting effort every time a point release for XP appears.

That's one of the reasons why I stopped developing for x-plane a few years ago. Especially if it's flight model related, which is almost always the case, time consuming re-design is necessary.

All the major developers who have just discovered that; hey we could earn a lot with x-plane, will find out soon (or apparently have found out already) that keeping aircraft up to date is very time consuming and hence very expensive. 

But this has been the case with x-plane since day one, so it definitely shouldn't be a surprise for any developer.

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

That's one of the reasons why I stopped developing for x-plane a few years ago. Especially if it's flight model related, which is almost always the case, time consuming re-design is necessary.

All the major developers who have just discovered that; hey we could earn a lot with x-plane, will find out soon (or apparently have found out already) that keeping aircraft up to date is very time consuming and hence very expensive. 

But this has been the case with x-plane since day one, so it definitely shouldn't be a surprise for any developer.

FDEdev

What your giving is what the condition where for development in Xplane prior to the changes that LR made that relates to the flight model concerns. 

They implemented the experiment mode check box for anyone who wish to use new flight model changes Austin made. Anyone who wish to not use it simply can unchecked it. The means that developers do not have to make changes to the FM in their products immediate. They can take their time to implement the changes when they set fit. 

Bob

Edited by BobFS88

49 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

The means that developers do not have to make changes to the FM in their products immediate. They can take their time to implement the changes when they set fit. 

Let's see. E.g. Carenado has developed almost 100 different aircraft for FSX/P3D. Can you imagine the amount of work involved if you constantly have to re-design 100 aircraft? 

How do you want to design new aircraft at the same time?  Even worse, do you make your aircraft backwards compatible with older versions?  That's a nightmare.

Edited by FDEdev

3 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Let's see. E.g. Carenado has developed almost 100 different aircraft for FSX/P3D. Can you imagine the amount of work involved if you constantly have to re-design 100 aircraft? 

How do you want to design new aircraft at the same time?  Even worse, do you make your aircraft backwards compatible with older versions?  That's a nightmare.

Great, then go develop for a dead platform like FSX. Personally, I want my flight simulators to evolve. 

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

5 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Great, then go develop for a dead platform like FSX. Personally, I want my flight simulators to evolve. 

FSX? Have you noticed that Microsoft is creating a new flightsim? Btw, x-plane is even older than FSX.

17 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

FSX? Have you noticed that Microsoft is creating a new flightsim? Btw, x-plane is even older than FSX.

Yes I did and I hope they keep updating the sim as frequently as XP gets updated. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

You are missing the point.

You don't have to make changes to your aircraft that you made. Your users are not going care unless something breaks in the over feel or performance of the aircraft due the flight model changes in the sim. If so, they can turn off experiment mode and the aircraft will work as before.

You can then focus on newer models if you so choose, take advantage of the new FM in your later release. Your not compelled to update ever aircraft unless there is reason to do so. 

Zobo mod get changes to the aircraft almost daily with some FM tweaks ever now and then, more than any other aircraft. However, everyone was told not to use the experimental mode because of the differences in the FM. Some will turn it on to see some benefits while take the risk. However if they don't they can turn it off, that simple.

Total different concept then what you got right now with FSX/PD3.

Bob

Edited by BobFS88

1 minute ago, BobFS88 said:

Your not compelled to update ever aircraft unless there is reason to do so. 

And you really believe that you can sell aircraft with old flight models, or tell the paying customers that you don't have the time to update their aircraft?

About Aerosoft... finally found one of their posts about MSFS. This was in a thread about the upcoming A330:

With the new MS Flight Simulator around the corner we have decided it's better to look ahead and not 10 years back. This is also done because there is a lot we simply would never be able to what we are doing now on that platform. To give you an example, we would have to lose at least a quarter of a million polygons and half of all textures.

Emphases mine.

Does make it seem that there's some MSFS work going on over there.

• Like 1

I'll buy the NG3 if it's better then the actual one. The FD on the current NG is "broken". There were topics covering the bad FD guidance some years back but nobody from PMDG reacted (because it was already an old product).

Before asking why it is broken please try to land the NG purely by hand in low visibility.(take manual control after intercepting the GS and fly the complete final APPR just by hand).

• Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

13 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

And you really believe that you can sell aircraft with old flight models, or tell the paying customers that you don't have the time to update their aircraft?

I said:

"Your not compelled to update ever aircraft unless there is reason to do so."    Reason to do so means customer or technical demand. 

I never said: "tell the paying customers that you don't have the time to update their aircraft?"

How are the other X-plane developer able to deliver on their products in that environment that you feel is to too impossible to sustain? 

Bob

22 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

I'll buy the NG3 if it's better then the actual one. The FD on the current NG is "broken". There were topics covering the bad FD guidance some years back but nobody from PMDG reacted (because it was already an old product).

Before asking why it is broken please try to land the NG purely by hand in low visibility.(take manual control after intercepting the GS and fly the complete final APPR just by hand).

Sadly, NG3 will use the same old code they’ve been using forever now. They want to update it and say it’s on the roadmap after release but they say that a lot soooo...

As for the NG3 I wonder if it will include scimitar winglets.