Sign in to follow this  
rowcoach

How to find which AFCAD/AF2 files an airport is using

Hello,

I installed a new scenery for CYYT yesterday. Everything around the terminal and the taxiways seem fine, but there are conflicting textures on the runways. I have used Vector to turn off automatic elevation correction, but the problem persists. I’m guessing there is a duplicate airport BGL file somewhere. Is there a way to check for duplicate AFCAD/AF2 files that an airport may be using?

Thanks,

Colin

Jon Masterson's (aka ScruffyDuck) Simple Airport Scanner

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/simple-airport-scanner-1-70-beta.440300/

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

@w6kd Can you confirm this works in P3Dv4? Jon’s last post on page 2 says that SAS 1.70 doesn’t support P3Dv4. 

Thanks,

colin

1 hour ago, rowcoach said:

Hello,

I installed a new scenery for CYYT yesterday. Everything around the terminal and the taxiways seem fine, but there are conflicting textures on the runways. I have used Vector to turn off automatic elevation correction, but the problem persists. I’m guessing there is a duplicate airport BGL file somewhere. Is there a way to check for duplicate AFCAD/AF2 files that an airport may be using?

Thanks,

Colin

I use Little Navmap (an well known tool) for this. I use it for all my flights, and it's easy to find double AFD's with it too.

Regards

Urmel

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, rowcoach said:

@w6kd Can you confirm this works in P3Dv4? Jon’s last post on page 2 says that SAS 1.70 doesn’t support P3Dv4.

Yes, see the post two up from Jon's at the end of the referenced thread.  Lorby-SI's (free) P3D Addon Manager includes a tool that that merges the xml-based sceneries with the ones in scenery.cfg to create a unified scenery.cfg, and you can run the scanner on that.

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Urmel

Can you briefly describe how Little Navmap detects the duplicate AFCADs?

Thanks, 

Franklin Duncan

Franklin Duncan

8 minutes ago, blazer05 said:

Urmel

Can you briefly describe how Little Navmap detects the duplicate AFCADs?

Thanks, 

Franklin Duncan

Little Navmap has many functions, but as it pertains to the question; after you've scanned your scenery library, you select an airport and it will show you in one of the progran windows what scenery file(s) are responsible for that airport.  It's easy and user friendly.  Has helped me fix/eliminate duplicates many times.

20 minutes ago, medx421 said:

Little Navmap has many functions, but as it pertains to the question; after you've scanned your scenery library, you select an airport and it will show you in one of the progran windows what scenery file(s) are responsible for that airport.  It's easy and user friendly.  Has helped me fix/eliminate duplicates many times.

I’ve been using LNM for a while now but I don’t think it reads the user’s scenery files. It does read Navigraph data though.

Happy to be corrected. Can you explain the steps for it to read an airport’s BGL?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.1 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve been using LNM for a while now but I don’t think it reads the user’s scenery files. It does read Navigraph data though.

Happy to be corrected. Can you explain the steps for it to read an airport’s BGL?

Over the years I have made many corrections to small airports and put them in my add-on scenery folder.  With LNM I go to the "Scenery Library" from the main menu then "Load Scenery Library" then press the "Load" button. It takes a few minutes to complete. I choose airport info for that airport and it tells me which sceneries are used including elevation change files if any.  The bottom file shown should override the other files when you are using the sim.  This is for FSX, but I am assuming P3D is similar.  Please note, I do not use Navigraph data.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

3 hours ago, rowcoach said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Colin

Colin, Is this a payware scenery or a freeware scenery? if freeware, which one? Could still be an elevation issue if your CYYT scenery has a different elevation from the default.

John Cottreau 

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

7 minutes ago, johncott said:

Over the years I have made many corrections to small airports and put them in my add-on scenery folder.  With LNM I go to the "Scenery Library" from the main menu then "Load Scenery Library" then press the "Load" button. It takes a few minutes to complete. I choose airport info for that airport and it tells me which sceneries are used including elevation change files if any.  The bottom file shown should override the other files when you are using the sim.  This is for FSX, but I am assuming P3D is similar.  Please note, I do not use Navigraph data.

John Cottreau

Interesting. What file specifically do you put in the addon scenery folder and where is that folder located? In FSX or LNM?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.1 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Another method in LNM to see which scenery is being used for an airport is to simply click on the airport icon in the map.  In the "Information" section, on the "Airport" tab, scroll down to the Scenery section.  

SAX702

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

John beat me to it, but his description is accurate, and it also works for P3D.  I imagine when he does his corrections, the file he generates goes into the Addon Scenery folder in FSX/P3D. LNM wouldn't do anything with the file except acknowledge that it exists for that particular airport.

50 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Interesting. What file specifically do you put in the addon scenery folder and where is that folder located? In FSX or LNM?

First of all, I do not have P3D and I'm assuming it is set up the same and according to MEDX421, it is.

The "Addon Scenery" folder in the FSX main folder. In the addon scenery folder is a "scenery" and "texture" folder and they would go in the "scenery" folder.  It would be like this: "FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery." The scenery files would be ones like this, ICAO_ADEX_INT.BGL, ICAO_ADEX_INT_CVX.BGL and ICAO_ADEX_INT_OBJ.BGL. ICAO would be the airport ID and INT would be you initials you used with ADE.  Any textures would go in the "texture" folder.  ADE also creates an elevation file if you change the airport elevation. This would be store in the "FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery" folder. This file is created automatically by ADE with an elevation change.

Cheers,

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott
  • Upvote 1

John C.

@johncott, thanks for explaining the process John. I shall look at it tomorrow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather