Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

February 20th, 2020 – Development/Insider Update

14 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I took a closer look at the AI aircraft touching down in the last shot of the episode. I replayed it on YT at the slowest speed but I'm still not sure. It seems they are still kind of slamming into the runway, albeit not as hard as in P3D/FSX. There is likely still much work to be done with regards to the AI aircraft system, but I'd really like to watch other aircraft touch down smoothly while on my way to the runway.

I noticed that too. Also that the A330 seems to vacate the runway 100-200 meters after touchdown. Might also be the perspective.

I am confident they will get to that.

2 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Perhaps the mesh was not fully loaded in the second picture. In one spot, the river seems to have a weird elevation issue as well.

Oh yeah, I see it. Then again, it may be each person's connection, detail level and or computer capabilities. You can never make a call until it's on your own system.

3 hours ago, Casualcas said:

I'm sure it's the mesh

Yes, looks like the first shot is using a higher mesh resolution.

Matthew S

After looking at screen shots I took from the video a few thoughts:

- Even the Hungarian grass strip looks awesome. If that's what we can expect worldwide that's incredible.

- The rocks on SABA are jaw-dropping

- Would be great to be able to add a random animal or objects at strips such as Chiquitos for us bush flyers.

- Love the shadow shaders on all objects on airport tarmac. Makes it so much more believable.

- The yellow taxiway striping could be darker and more orange/yellow

- AI traffic certainly looks to follow past practice of being generic. Always used my own but may be fine for some. Lots of free NEO advertising 😉

- The animated rampies look awesome. Can't believe we can make our own rampie traffic!

- There may be room for addon airports, but MS/Asobo is doing a smashing job.

- Still a bit worried I can run this thing (I know, I know, adjustable and all that)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

2 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

DAPP (Destination Airport Analysis Program)  It's a program we use.  Here's a section from our GOM:
1. The runway gradient shall be no greater than 2 percent or as specified in the AFM.
2. The runway shall be free of all contamination such as standing water, ice or snow."

Thanks very much.  I had no idea.  2% doesnt sound like much and can't be uncommon.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

16 hours ago, MatthewS said:

You think?

Why then are we still seeing oversized trees in the latest video and yet that was raised a month or more ago ?!

You are assuming that we are seeing a video from the latest build. There is a good chance that this is “old” footage.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:56 AM, bonchie said:

There's nothing valuable about saying it looks like an RC simulator while ignoring the entire 8 minute video of material. It's hyperbole.

Nonsense. If anyone's got anything even slightly negative to say about one particular thing they've noticed in a video, they shouldn't be required to also give feedback about the other 99% of the video just for the sake of it. How ridiculous.

In my paid employment, I'm part of a project team that's rolling out a new smartphone/desktop app that lets volunteer firefighters and their brigades know exactly who is responding to emergency incidents.  Although I'm not a software designer, developer, or tester, I'm always encouraged to give the rest of the team feedback (even if it's negative) as the application is developed.  I think it's a game-changing product that I would loved to have had in my hands when I was an operational firefighter 10 years ago... but it wouldn't be half as good if no one was allowed to point out some of the areas that were a bit lacking.  That feedback has been more than welcomed and the product has subsequently been refined and improved.

As far as MSFS in concerned, I'm totally amazed from what I've seen so far and I couldn't be more excited about finally getting back into flight-simming after so many years (I quickly got bored with FSX).  I've been keenly following its development since the day it was announced and I think MS and Asobo are doing an absolutely outstanding job.  However, that's not going to stop me from posting negative feedback (no matter how trivial it might seem to others) if I feel I need to.  It actually helps the developers and it shouldn't automatically be seen to be "complaining".

I can't remember who made the "RC simulator" comment (and I'm too lazy to scroll back to find it) but, when I first saw that particular screenshot, I immediately thought that something didn't look quite right with the overall scale of things (particularly the grass).  So, when I read the comment that "it looks like an RC simulator", I thought to myself, "Yes! That perfectly describes it!" There's definitely something amiss with the scale in that screenshot that does, unfortunately, make the aircraft appear somewhat miniature (just like the "small" buildings next to the overly massive trees in one of the New York City screenshots awhile back).

None of that changes my view that, overall, MSFS is shaping up to be an absolutely stunning product and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Edited by ZK-FLC
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Farlis said:

And what will you fly with until October or November when this here is released?

Nothing. Just wandering on Bing Maps and setting up the perfect "Around the Globe Tour" with a nice mix of photogrammetry areas and bush flying in every continent which will take me approximatively 3 - 4 years to achieve. I have until now more than 300 airports to visit, and still adding.

I wont have the time to find out about beautiful and interesting places when the sim will be released as I will start this tour on day one.

Actually I don't fly since the 1st trailer was out I am doing this since then.

I know, I am one of those guys...

Edited by Noooch

10 hours ago, ZK-FLC said:

Nonsense. If anyone's got anything even slightly negative to say about one particular thing they've noticed in a video, they shouldn't be required to also give feedback about the other 99% of the video just for the sake of it. How ridiculous.

Exactly! Actually, it's constructive criticism.  From the way a lot of users react you'd think they're thin-skinned "word not allowed".

10 hours ago, ZK-FLC said:

I immediately thought that something didn't look quite right with the overall scale of things (particularly the grass)

Yep! Another user who thinks Asobo is sometimes struggling with vegetation scale (trees/grass). Some of the posters here don't seem to share the same perception of reality.

Anyway, let's hope Asobo addresses these things. 

Almost everything else I'm seeing in the FS2020 videos has been outstanding! 👍

• Like 1

Matthew S

8 hours ago, snglecoil said:

Though prone to a bit of hyperbole, @MatthewS has done nothing that resembles trolling.

Yes, I guess I'm guilty of that (hyperbole)...  I need to get back into "The Daily Stoic" and keep things in perspective.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

I noticed at about 7:33 in the video that you can see through the windows inside a bit, and the other side as well. I'm guessing that we may actually get modeled interiors!

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

6 hours ago, loubar said:

I noticed at about 7:33 in the video that you can see through the windows inside a bit, and the other side as well. I'm guessing that we may actually get modeled interiors!

Watch the 747 take off video again (can’t remember which video it is) and you’ll see the light from the windows on the other side of the cabin plus chair backs through the windows.

Basically you gotta appreciate that MSFS comes with around 80 free payware addons. If that makes any sense. 😄

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

what I've been saying all along,

every time a flight simulator 2020 defect is brought to light compared to the competition, it is always by comparing the addon-filled competition with a vanilla alpha step simulator...

and this comparison, finally, it's hard to see for the competition, I can't imagine what will happen when flight simulator 2020 will have its addons.

Anyway, thanks for the video. It brings some meaning back to the debate.

Edited by azulkb
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1