Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

flat-Earther dies in rocket crash

9 hours ago, airernie said:

If you get a chance watch the Rocketman documentary on Amazon Prime.  It's all about his journey.  Regardless of his beliefs, he was pretty ingenious.

I ended up watching that film after I saw your post. Read a short wiki page on him and saw he never made it past 1875 feet, unless the last one that killed him went higher.

I wonder why he didn’t just try building some type of a high altitude ballon rather than trying to use steam powered rockets? Seems like that option would have likely been less expensive and safer.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, Chock said:

I'm inclined to suppose that following the impact, he was a considerably flatter flat earther than had originally been the case. On the plus side however, this sort of high impact misadventure saves considerably on elaborate post-mortal frivolities, since one is literally dead and buried in the same instant.

I wouldn’t have wanted to be one of the first responders that had to go dig up and gather the remains of that crash. Might have been a little less disgusting had there been an ensuing fire or explosion to burn the remains.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

i have been watching a few YT movies about that community and their theories, very amusing - i recommend  

Artur 

6 hours ago, Avidean said:

Being the contrarian, considered phenomenological as an object of experience or a qualia the earth is indeed flat. One may, based on collective reasoning infer that the earth as a thing in itself is round but for certainty a successful ontological strategy to get past sylopsism must be devised. Nah! it must also be Newtonian. Even the philosopher Kant do that.😛

That`s one small concept for a man; one giant beep beep for man kind.

8 hours ago, Avidean said:

Being the contrarian, considered phenomenological as an object of experience or a qualia the earth is indeed flat. One may, based on collective reasoning infer that the earth as a thing in itself is round but for certainty a successful ontological strategy to get past sylopsism must be devised. Nah! it must also be Newtonian. Even the philosopher Kant do that.😛

That depends on how far you look. Locally, everything appears flat, even for an observer who just passes the event horizon of a black hole. Curvature only reveals itself if you make extended measurements. In the case of the Earth, sailors on many ships have observed the Earth's curvature through the disappearance of other ships at the horizon, for instance. 

Come to think of it, the horizon of Flat Earthers may be very narrow indeed 🙂

Peter

9 hours ago, Chock said:

It has been suggested that he didn't actually genuinely believe that flat earth nonsense, but was doing it for publicity.

This is the problem.  I don't think anyone actually believes this.  It s just a time waste which feeds the conspiracy laden minds of the less intelligent and gullible.

Well, I believe I may have seen it all now.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

This guy died while realizing his dreams. A fine example in our world of virtual "heroes" ..
he laid out his ideas before bowing out.
Rest in peace Mad Mike.

henri

Edited by henry
  • Like 1

Chock,

How flat is flat?

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

19 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

Chock,

How flat is flat?

Well, it could never be as flat as some of the flat-headed 'proofs' and 'arguments' you hear from some of those flat-tards on youtube. If you've never watched any of those videos, I'll give you a few examples of some of their more idiotic claims. And no, I've not made any of these up, all the bits below are genuinely things these idiots say on a regular basis...

'If the Earth was a spinning sphere, you would be able to take off in a helicopter, hover for an hour and get to somewhere else on the planet as the Earth rotated below you'

'You can zoom in with a digital camera and bring anything back into view after it has apparently disappeared over the horizon'

'The Earth must be flat because otherwise aeroplanes would fly off into space if the pilots did not constantly correct their course downwards to follow the curve of the Earth'

'The sun does not set, it just goes out of visual range as it rotates around the surface of the flat earth'

'The sun is only 3,000 miles away'

'No flights ever traverse the southern pacific'

'Rockets never go into space because there is no such thing as space; they pretend to do so by launching on a curved trajectory to avoid hitting the dome over the flat earth and then just splash down in the sea'

I absolutely swear I've not made any of these up, and they are just a few of the idiotic things I could remember off the top of my head which  I've heard flat earthers come out with on youtube videos. It's enough to make you despair for the human race.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Firstly, condolences,

Secondly, I wonder why he couldn't just take a local flight somewhere above 5000' to get the same result.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

35 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Secondly, I wonder why he couldn't just take a local flight somewhere above 5000' to get the same result.

No fun in that

Queue the song My Way by Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley or Sid Vicious or Dorothy Squires or Margaret Mackie and play the version that best suits your mood. That is what he did, guy living in a desert doing things his way and not caring what others think. 

Lets also not forget a young David Bowie was the original writer behind the English version of the song My Way but he got reassigned to something else and couldn't finish it, when he heard Sinatra's version for the first time that really made his blood boil, they stole his song, Ironic this is why you trust no one and this guy certainly didn't trust anyone 😎

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 1

Matthew Kane

19 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Lets also not forget a young David Bowie was the original writer behind the song My Way but he got reassigned to something else and couldn't finish it, when he heard Sinatra's version for the first time that really made his blood boil, they stole his song, Ironic 😎

Nearly, but not quite true. Bowie was a jobbing songwriter working in Denmark Street in the late 60's (Denmark Street, in London's West End is, or was, essentially Britain's Tin Pan Alley). Like a lot of writers in that period, in 1968 Bowie picked up on a song which was a hit abroad and he fashioned his own lyrics for its tune. This was fairly common practice at the time and there are a lot of familiar hits which have similar origins.

The song in question was originally Comme d’habitude, which was written and performed by Claude Francois, it having been a hit in France in 1967. Bowie's lyrics for the tune ended up being a song called Only a fool learns to love. At more or less the same time, Paul Anka basically did the same thing, writing some lyrics of his own for Comme d’habitude, which ended up being My Way, sung by Sinatra, whom Anka had intentionally written the lyrics for. The following year Bowie penned Space Oddity and he was of course then off on his way to fame and fortune and so his lyrics to the song lay largely forgotten.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

Nearly, but not quite true. Bowie was a jobbing songwriter working in Denmark Street in the late 60's (Denmark Street, in London's West End is, or was, essentially Britain's Tin Pan Alley). Like a lot of writers in that period, in 1968 Bowie picked up on a song which was a hit abroad and he fashioned his own lyrics for its tune. This was fairly common practice at the time and there are a lot of familiar hits which have similar origins.

The song in question was originally Comme d’habitude, which was written and performed by Claude Francois, it having been a hit in France in 1967. Bowie's lyrics for the tune ended up being a song called Only a fool learns to love. At more or less the same time, Paul Anka basically did the same thing, writing some lyrics of his own for Comme d’habitude, which ended up being My Way, sung by Sinatra, whom Anka had intentionally written the lyrics for. The following year Bowie penned Space Oddity and he was of course then off on his way to fame and fortune and so his lyrics to the song lay largely forgotten.

You learn something new every day. A word of warning though, don't sing "My Way" in the Philippines karaoke, there's a chance you can get shot at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_killings

My wife is from there, so I pick other artists to be on the safe-side 🙂

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020