Actually I was, I had a mouthful of fried rice and couldn't talk, so I typed

Edited by Casualcas

4 hours ago, Casualcas said:

Actually I was, I had a mouthful of fried rice and couldn't talk, so I typed

Cool. I was checking out original FSX. Some FSX clouds, yesterday:

cl_if_58tc_b.jpg

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So no one is talking about the clouds in the March 5th update.  Does that mean they look good?  They look pretty good to me.

• Like 2

some clouds in the new pictures look passable, it happens when they are far away while in proximity nothing can beat my curly crisps, I now educated your eyes.

5 hours ago, mp15 said:

I now educated your eyes.

Thanks awfully 

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

7 hours ago, mp15 said:

some clouds in the new pictures look passable, it happens when they are far away while in proximity nothing can beat my curly crisps, I now educated your eyes.

You really educated my eyes and I think everything in the new pictures looks better than those smoke puffs you made😁

• Like 4

do you really think my clouds look like smoke? smoke is much more whispy and expansive while my clouds are compact.

2 minutes ago, mp15 said:

do you really think my clouds look like smoke? smoke is much more whispy and expansive while my clouds are compact.

Don’t get me wrong, but I would choose ASOBOS’s clouds over yours any day.

Also, modeling beautiful clouds isn’t the same as making them behave right on the sim.

But if you think you are really good on modeling beautiful clouds, you can always get the SDK and develop an DLC/add-on for the new. 

• Like 4

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

3 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Also, modeling beautiful clouds isn’t the same as making them behave right on the sim.

This is important. The main annoyance with the default clouds in FSX/p3d isn't that they're ugly. I mean, yeah, they're ugly, but they also behave stupidly. You're flying near a tornadic storm (because this is a sim and you can do such things without dying) and the clouds are these scattered little dark blobs that never really change shape, and certainly don't look menacing or anything at all like a supercell.

If you watch a real cb cloud for even 30 seconds, you'll see it dramatically change in appearance because the up and downdrafts are constantly reshaping the cloud. It almost looks like it's boiling.

The one animated cloud I noticed in this thread from mp15 (the rain-wrapped microburst) 1) didn't have the proper cloud on top (a tiny little disorganized cumulus like that isn't generally going to create a rain bomb and 2) the animation looked like the South Park guys got hold of it. There was no movement in the system itself - it's just the static model being dragged and rotated inartfully across the screen.

For those curious, here's what a real wet microburst looks like:

Beginning at 0:17 you can see that there's a very large (compared to the example in the thread) cloud from which the microburst is generated. and at 0:13, especially on the left edge of the burst, you can see how much movement should be depicted, whereas there's none in mp15's.

Edited by eslader

On 2/29/2020 at 5:54 AM, FDEdev said:

If you don't understand his post, suggest to read his first post in this thread. IMO this clarifies a lot....

Yeah it's not Martin's post really it's the entire thread. I'm sure this isn't a closed weather system and all aspect of it can be changed, you've heard whats possible with the audio and airport ground behaviours, I'm sure weather would have had a mention in terms of SDK but that discovery video came out too soon I think. Of course makeup of the clouds can be changed, higher fidelity for some could mean lower fps for others mindyou, Microsoft will have to strike a balance but third parties can of course be a bit more liberal. So yes definately we'll see crispier clouds, different clouds, they may even allow the return of a 2d texture cloud layer for those high altitudes cirrus clouds which I've not seen rendered particularly well thus far.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, Casualcas said:

Profound,  profound gibberish lol

Funny you should bring that up!

I am a native of the tiny and totally unknown island nation of Gibberia (off the coast of Mallorca), so I still speak fluent Gibberish. I'm constantly amazed at the number of people throughout the world who speak my language! Why it's even more prevalent than English! Go figure... :laugh:

18 hours ago, mp15 said:

More like bored me to tears...  :wacko:

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Don’t get me wrong, but I would choose ASOBOS’s clouds over yours any day.

Did you read that my clouds are volumetric but also procedural? do you know what that means?

my clouds can do this or that according to sim data.

would you like to see a picture of my clouds at full screen ?

10 minutes ago, mp15 said:

Did you read that my clouds are volumetric but also procedural? do you know what that means?

my clouds can do this or that according to sim data.

would you like to see a picture of my clouds at full screen ?

We would rather just have you show us the clouds working in P3D / FSX otherwise it makes this whole thread completely useless and making you look foolish.