Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

February 27th, 2020 – Development Update

Just now, Nedo68 said:

If i only could!!! 😷

And don't you leave us 😉

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Yeah ok, but in my book those trees seem out of place nontheless. It should look more like this:

M8tKXyB.jpg

I'm not worried at all though as it's still in alpha and the trees will surely be adjusted.

Agreed!  This particular picture (no offense to the team) looks more like the Pacific Northwest rather than south Florida.  The trees are also gigantic in this picture, making many of the single family homes appear flat.  This may be accurate sizing for giant sequoias of the Pacific Northwest, but SE Florida doesn’t have pine trees like this. The majority in SE Florida are deciduous trees such as the live oak/mahogany.  In addition to the deciduous, palms are obviously also extremely numerous.  Central/Northern Florida on the other hand, does have numerous conifer types inland, mainly ugly pine types such as the Longleaf Pine.  The areas 5-10 miles from the coastline are mostly deciduous/palms.

4-B694-BBC-5-A1-C-461-C-9-CF4-868-BCC63-

I too, would agree that any “default” tree east of the Rockies should be deciduous. Whereas west of the Rockies should be coniferous.  

Hopeful & confident this will be sorted before release.

Great shots otherwise!

Edited by ual763
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ual763 said:

Central/Northern Florida on the other hand, does have numerous conifer types inland, mainly ugly pine types such as the Longleaf Pine.  

Hey!  Longleaf pines are beautiful!  really cool, tall, scraggly things that let you know the beach is near. 🙂

Edited by sightseer
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

That was my point. Miami sits at the edge off the Everglades and the tallest trees you will see there are palms and cypress.

I've flown in and out of KMIA a number of times and it doesn't look like the original pic. This last pic is much more realistic.

• Upvote 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

6 hours ago, ual763 said:

.4-B694-BBC-5-A1-C-461-C-9-CF4-868-BCC63-too, would agree that any “default” tree east of the Rockies should be deciduous. Whereas west of the Rockies should be coniferous.  
!

And northern states evergreen and southern palms, or actually,  northern northern states evergreen and southern part of states deciduous except where they transplanted the trees that weren't actually native to the states.  

In other words, they'll get there.  That's why I like Michigan, cause it's so diverse 

oJ6zA9u4erTRS6_NegEtwlcWXn0G1J6x6ks2ayxY

Edited by Casualcas
  • Like 1

We do have conifers in the entire state of Florida. But not spruce, Hemlock, or scotch pine. 

However, the original picture used the wrong trees in the wrong place. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

9 hours ago, Casualcas said:

Yeah, wait, next they'll say the kangaroos look more like a wallaby's

As long as they don't confuse a European swallow and an African one 😉

• Like 5

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

Maybe they just need to train the AI more.  But I would think it could do a decent job by looking at the photo, cross checking with location, and using common tree types for that area.  And for tree height they can use shadow data, and/or pull from the standard heights for the tree type.

• Like 2

It should be noted that there are many invasive or wrongly-planted trees in the Miami area, like Australian Pine and Melaleuca, both of which very common within the urban area and can grow very tall. That will be a challenge for AI recognition if it's only based on native plant species.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

since we seem to be a vegetation kick...I hope they include Saguaro Cactus and Joshua Trees.

• Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

It should be noted that there are many invasive or wrongly-planted trees in the Miami area, like Australian Pine and Melaleuca, both of which very common within the urban area and can grow very tall. That will be a challenge for AI recognition if it's only based on native plant species.

I realize that, but the vast majority are not pines.  I’m not asking them to model hundreds of different types of flora.  Rather a few of the main types for which data is available.  Miami should not look like coastal Oregon/Washington state.  If ORBX can make Florida look believable, I have no doubt ASOBO can as well.  

P.S. - Although I will say the Melaleuca, does look like local vegetation.  I’d be happy with that.  Kind of looks like a large Ficus or Live Oak.  But the giant Sequoias are way out of place!

Edited by ual763

32 minutes ago, sightseer said:

since we seem to be a vegetation kick...I hope they include Saguaro Cactus and Joshua Trees.

Would be really cool in the southwestern US and Mexico!  Sign me up!

Edited by ual763
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, sightseer said:

That would be bring a superb immersion to the sim, I might be wrong, but I don't think other sim have Cactus etc?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Equally Palm trees are planted in the odd places in the UK, we certainly wouldn't want the AI to place Palm trees where they're not a native species. 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

35 minutes ago, eaim said:

Equally Palm trees are planted in the odd places in the UK, we certainly wouldn't want the AI to place Palm trees where they're not a native species. 

Yeah gotta have lots of Cornish palm in Cornwall though. I grew up in a place with loads of those.