Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

6 hours ago, Sethos said:

First off, I doubt the average user in flight simming would expect to be watching a completely barebone, vanilla experience. Tweaking and modding is the cornerstone of our hobby. Especially as you're also watching a video with several pieces of payware addon that changes the look significantly, something that isn't available out of the box. So any notion of having to show off a completely standard experience has already gone out of the window at that point. Plus, maybe I'd expect a completely clean video from LM themselves, for their marketing pieces but videos on Rob's personal channel I'd absolutely expect to be modified to his preference and what's available. 

Tweaking was the cornerstone of the hobby in the fsx days, as it was a buggy, unfinished piece of software. As a P3D flier, I gave up modding .cfg files a fair while ago, as any benefits are marginal. With our modern sims, you can tweak less and fly more.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

12 hours ago, Sethos said:

I hope with their continuing improvement of the water, they are able to introduce some natural 3D waves for shorelines instead of those 2D effect based ones they are using now. They don't look particularly nice.

In the interim, you can get the Orbx Freeware PNW Ferries which includes as a bonus, much improved shoreline wave effects... You do not even have to activate the ferries, just the wave effects :happy:  Kudos to Larry Robinson for this "gift" :cool:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/189243-optional-wave-effects/

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

On 4/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, mpo910 said:

OK. Thanks for this helpful information we all have bin waiting for. Now the cat is out of the bag (Sarcasm off)

Sry that I hurt your feelings. 

But it is what it is. The future is now old man. 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, mpo910 said:

OK. Thanks for this helpful information we all have bin waiting for. Now the cat is out of the bag (Sarcasm off)

Sry that I hurt your feelings. 

But it is what it is. The future is now old man. 

45 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

In the interim, you can get the Orbx Freeware PNW Ferries which includes as a bonus, much improved shoreline wave effects... You do not even have to activate the ferries, just the wave effects :happy:  Kudos to Larry Robinson for this "gift" :cool:

You beat me to it. The PNW Ferries breaker effect is a major improvement. However, I think Sethos is mixing up waves and breakers. P3d4 in ultra mode has always had 3D waves. The 3D waves do not switch behavior in shallower water, hence the need for the effect-based breaker.

8 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You beat me to it. The PNW Ferries breaker effect is a major improvement. However, I think Sethos is mixing up waves and breakers. P3d4 in ultra mode has always had 3D waves. The 3D waves do not switch behavior in shallower water, hence the need for the effect-based breaker.

"Shoreline waves" = "Breakers"... :unsure:     Kind of the same thing..

In all fairness, Larry does refer to them as "Wave Effects"..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I was giving Sethos the benefit of the doubt, because P3d4 does have 3D waves.

18 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

That sounds great, thanks for the heads-up. Would you happen to know where I could find a screenshot or video of them in action, see how they stack up?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

25 minutes ago, Sethos said:

That sounds great, thanks for the heads-up. Would you happen to know where I could find a screenshot or video of them in action, see how they stack up?

If you have any Orbx scenery installed, just download the Freeware PNW Ferries and try it yourself!

Bert

30 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you have any Orbx scenery installed, just download the Freeware PNW Ferries and try it yourself!

Unfortunately I don't even have the sim installed at the moment, won't be getting a chance to dive back in until sometime next month, so was hoping there was some examples lurking somewhere. I'll just keep an eye out, thanks 🙂

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 4/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, Uteman said:

Well to be technically accurate the nVidia article is from 2014- 2015 so Vulkan is postdating DX12 by some 4 years, your comment I would respectfully suggest should be - Vulkan sounds a bit like DX12.

Vulkan development was announced in 2014, with the first release in Feb. 2016. So not that far behind DX12, which came out July 2015. And both of those followed, and learned from, AMD's Mantle API. And for completeness, Apple's Metal API first came out in June 2014. Basically, everyone was moving to similar lower level 3d APIs at the same time.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:47 AM, Sethos said:

Unfortunately I don't even have the sim installed at the moment, won't be getting a chance to dive back in until sometime next month, so was hoping there was some examples lurking somewhere. I'll just keep an eye out, thanks 🙂

https://imgur.com/a/EpNNQUX

• Upvote 1

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Thank you so much, sir. That does look a lot better. Can't wait to see them in action, the current ones with OrbX installed have a tendency to spawn a lot of them I noticed, so they seem to be washing in at a rapid fire pace. 

Does anyone know when does LM usually put the new version up in store for sale? I mean what time in UTC ? Thanks

S.

8 minutes ago, Samany69 said:

Does anyone know when does LM usually put the new version up in store for sale? I mean what time in UTC ? Thanks

S.

Its been around 12-2PM EST so like 8PM UTC time?

• Upvote 1

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |