Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Will you buy Prepar3D V5

Will you buy Prepar3D V5 Poll  

508 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will you buy Prepar3D V5

• on release date
    • after a sufficient number of addons are confirmed compatible and free or reasonably priced
    • Never

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2020 at 03:57 AM

Just like the toilet paper hoarding, I never bought any extra, just used what we had until we needed more, four weeks later, yup plenty of TP in the stores again, no hoarding, no rush to get it....so now P3DV5+...I have P3DV4.5 and XP11.40+ and there is now a 11.5+, given that I'm fed up with getting a new sim, finding stuff now working, fussing with this, that and the other thing....I'm pretty much on the edge of I just don't care anymore.  I hate the endless tweaking, the stuff that doesn't work, the upgrades for everything, the re-installs....so I'll just wait, buy plenty of popcorn and watch the show unfold...then in six months decide if I want to waste more time fussing and fighting to get stuff to work, once again. 

• Like 2

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

2 hours ago, ComSimPilot said:

Haha! I evaluated the situation last week and it seems nearly all developers are providing free upgrades. If I had to re-buy everything, obviously it wouldn't be such a drastic transition. 

I am currently waiting on a few aircraft developers to report their plans (FSL, TFDi, Majestic, Qualitywings, Captainsim, Justflight), but looking at the trends, the chances that they won't move to P3Dv5 or that they will require to re-buy their products are minimal or none in my opinion. So I took that decision. 

if I want to fly, I'll fly on X-Plane or DCS. From the 14th, I'll be flying whatever comes first in P3D. I have no problem to be flying even one add-on, until more become available. I don't fly all my add-ons every day, no time for that. So waiting is no problem.

I agree...and am hoping that day one (Tuesday), that Orbx Central 4 will start loading into v5.0, all what I call, lol...my Junk.  From Rob's 'what made me make up my mind' video..he is running over Orbx Global...so, I know that that loads. I then can't see any of the other GLOBAL offerings not following suit.  I don't have but three study level cockpits, and they all said they are in for a free update/conversion. So, taken care of there.  Active Sky is in...and I imagine that Accu-Feel is already, or will be shortly. That is a must have, especially if you do enjoy take off and landing water operations.  The sounds from the cockpt, nail it right down. Between Accu-Feel and the new nVidia WaveWorks 2.0...I'm ok now for waiting for MSFS2020...as between next Tuesday, with P3D v5.0 and XPlane 11.50 b(x), I'm good right up until they RTM.  The videos that I had seen prior to the one on my thread, had me in a Pray and Pass the Ammunition stance...but now...I have no doubt that I will enjoy every aspect of the new and updated features...water and environmental. Orbx can bring the terrain and the 'night life' up to speed.  So...all is good, and am looking very forward to 'bringing' v5.0 home...

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Just like the toilet paper hoarding, I never bought any extra, just used what we had until we needed more, four weeks later, yup plenty of TP in the stores again, no hoarding, no rush to get it....so now P3DV5+...I have P3DV4.5 and XP11.40+ and there is now a 11.5+, given that I'm fed up with getting a new sim, finding stuff now working, fussing with this, that and the other thing....I'm pretty much on the edge of I just don't care anymore.  I hate the endless tweaking, the stuff that doesn't work, the upgrades for everything, the re-installs....so I'll just wait, buy plenty of popcorn and watch the show unfold...then in six months decide if I want to waste more time fussing and fighting to get stuff to work, once again. 

I honestly don't anticipate that being my experience from jumping ship of v4.5 to v5.0.  I never tweaked a thing in the .cfg file with v4.5, as I had to with v4.0 and down.  I imagine the same park your Orbx, park your planes, park your park...and you just fly.  I get the feeling that LM knows they are up against MSFS2020 to draw coin and interest away from their platform...and it is just my gut feeling that this version will turn out to be the most bug-free-at-RTM version, yet.  They got the jump on MS, and if we the early adopters come back raving about performance, enhanced immersion, and that 97 percent of our prior (for) P3D purchases were drop-and-load...they will certainly hang onto many of us, that do sincerely enjoy our P3D whatever's....

My take, anyways...

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo

9 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I hate the endless tweaking

What else you would do with SIM? Tweeking makes it interesting.....

• Like 1

Alex 

55 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

I do.

They have only some screenies and PR videos to share, already got bored and now they troll here around.

Since when is it trolling and/or negativity to express sincere displeasure with a product?  Is it trolling because the opinions differ from yours?  Some of you need a reality check; LM is not some benevolent organization offering it's services free of charge, nor are they some mom-and-pop company struggling to succeed.  In point of fact, they're the worlds leading weapons manufacture and 60th largest corporation of the globe; their current market cap is a staggering 104.57 Billion dollars. In short, as consumers of their products, we should be demanding more and they certainly have the resources to deliver more.  To that point, the 5 iterations of their titles have done little to advance the ESP platform, especially when compared against other games.  To illustrate this notion, compare Flight Simulator 5.1 with FSX (11 years between sims); the two simulators are completely unrecognizable and easily distinguishable from one another...they're not even in the same league.  Now, compare P3D V1 with P3D V5 (11 years between sims); if you're being fair, you'll note the differences are not that stark, which explains why so many are still using FSX.  When MS left the genera, simmers were forced to accept this paradigm; however, today, with XP starting to eclipses the ESP platforms in appearance and functionality, and MSFS on the horizon, the paradigm is shifting.  This so called negativity and trolling should be heeded by LM; if they want to continue to augment their professional licence sales, they should start improving their base simulator.  I don't believe their current business model will be successful going forward.  To be clear, the improvements should not focus on third-party developers abilities to fabricate and sell us more products, but to the core simulator itself.  If they don't, I believe simmers will shift to the competing products that offer more functionality out-of-the-box.   

BTW, it's ironic that you don't share this perspective; after all, you have 14 add-on environmental programs alone listed in your signature block.  2006 is long gone; thus, don't you find it a little absurd to buy, maintain and update so many programs just to create a realistic environment?  

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Matt King

as long as its as smooth as x-plane vulkan ill buy... p3d v5 has some seriouse competition imo!

• Like 2

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

For sure I'll buy P3Dv5.0, but not on day one. In the meantime it will be add-ons made compatible, probably software-related issues, and other items I hope will be minor, that makes me more inclined to continue flying P3Dv4.5 for weeks or a few months.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 minutes ago, ols500 said:

as long as its as smooth as x-plane vulkan ill buy... p3d v5 has some seriouse competition imo!

And that is very good news for us users. I have sericous competition between not 2 but 3 modern PC flight sims and a couple on the periphery snapping at the heals. This is a fantastic time to be into this hobby. There is a very good solution for all interests and budgets.

Needs another category: "Maybe, depending on user feedback."

That'd be my answer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Since when is it trolling and/or negativity to express sincere displeasure with a product?  Is it trolling because the opinions differ from yours?  Some of you need a reality check; LM is not some benevolent organization offering it's services free of charge, nor are they some mom-and-pop company struggling to succeed.  In point of fact, they're the worlds leading weapons manufacture and 60th largest corporation of the globe; their current market cap is a staggering 104.57 Billion dollars. In short, as consumers of their products, we should be demanding more and they certainly have the resources to deliver more.  To that point, the 5 iterations of their titles have done little to advance the ESP platform, especially when compared against other games.  To illustrate this notion, compare Flight Simulator 5.1 with FSX (11 years between sims); the two simulators are completely unrecognizable and easily distinguishable from one another...they're not even in the same league.  Now, compare P3D V1 with P3D V5 (11 years between sims); if you're being fair, you'll note the differences are not that stark, which explains why so many are still using FSX.  When MS left the genera, simmers were forced to accept this paradigm; however, today, with XP starting to eclipses the ESP platforms in appearance and functionality, and MSFS on the horizon, the paradigm is shifting.  This so called negativity and trolling should be heeded by LM; if they want to continue to augment their professional licence sales, they should start improving their base simulator.  I don't believe their current business model will be successful going forward.  To be clear, the improvements should not focus on third-party developers abilities to fabricate and sell us more products, but to the core simulator itself.  If they don't, I believe simmers will shift to the competing products that offer more functionality out-of-the-box.   

BTW, it's ironic that you don't share this perspective; after all, you have 14 add-on environmental programs alone listed in your signature block.  2006 is long gone; thus, don't you find it a little absurd to buy, maintain and update so many programs just to create a realistic environment?  

You strike valid points, and no 'cheap shots'....

I simply wanted to gauge community support for it, in light of the pre-release negativity.

24 minutes ago, edpatino said:

For sure I'll buy P3Dv5.0, but not on day one. In the meantime it will be add-ons made compatible, probably software-related issues, and other items I hope will be minor, that makes me more inclined to continue flying P3Dv4.5 for weeks or a few months.

Cheers, Ed

"Ed, I then will try not to cause any water spray, fleck, or foam from my pontoons to nail you on the beach, as I lift off of nVidia WaveWorks v2.0's oceans....LOL!   I'll let you know in advance, when I'm about to water-taxi from dock!..."

Edited by Sesquashtoo

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

You strike valid points, and no 'cheap shots'....

I have to admit being a little frustrated, Sesquashtoo!  I simply don't understand why so many of us are willing to accept the current model.  Anyway, thank you for your reply, sir.  I always find your comments to be fair and level-headed. 

Matt King

4 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

I simply wanted to gauge community support for it, in light of the pre-release negativity.

Seems so far, a few points from 50/50.  Interesting and a good thread.

2 hours ago, David Mills said:

Another poll should be: How many days will P3D be out before there's an emergency Hotfix?

There is a universal law in game development that says the first killer bug will be discovered five minutes after the product irretrievably ships.  That one bit me hard on my first published game mod. 🙂

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;