Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

P3DV5: "DGXI error device hung" with an RTX 2080Ti (?)

I got this problem after rebuilding a new prepar3d.cfg due to a graphics driver update. Never had it before. It happened especially when changing to window mode or after loading a new scenery.

Then, I compared my new settings with my settings before - and I noticed, I forgot to choose "mipmap vc panels". After activating it, the problem was gone! 

I found this bug mentioned for version 3 of P3D, so it seems, it's back in P3D V5 (HF2). It seems only to apply to aircraft models with xml-coded displays like years ago. 

If you suffer from the "device hang problem, just try it ....!

Good luck! 😉

Edited by LarsA
Additional information

The crash still occurs periodically but fewer with this update. Lockheed has to address the VRAM usage issue because there is definitely an issue. 

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

On 6/16/2020 at 3:40 AM, itsjase said:

I did something similar to ILS37, but just used my own d3dcompiler_47.dll located in c:\Windows\System32.

I backed up the existing file in my p3d folder then I copied it from System32 into my P3Dv5 folder.

I've since maxed out my texture resolution and EA cloud resolution and no issues now.

Haven't had a device hung error since!

I did this and my sim crashed If i went to external view?   

11 hours ago, Matty2123 said:

I did this and my sim crashed If i went to external view?   

This was pre HF2. Been working fine since the latest hotfix without the file replacement.

20 minutes ago, itsjase said:

This was pre HF2. Been working fine since the latest hotfix without the file replacement.

Ah ok cheers 

I still get device hung on a 2080TI HF2 when switching back from avatar mode into an A2A aircraft. Happens every time but not when using a Chaseplane view for the avatar. Shows that device hung can be caused by software bugs not just that the "device has hung". I'm not on Win2004 yet.

Edited by glider1

I’ve been getting this DXGI error only at night with a brand new system-sliders medium high, orbx global/NA/buildings 

multiple addon aircraft-mainly FSL A320, aerosoft a330 and currently uninstalled the TFDI 717 beta (it seemingly works better without) 

addon airports: FT BOS/LAS/SXM/TPA, DD NYC/Airports/Washington, imaginesim KATL, LVFR FLL/RSW, FB KSFO/KDEN, FSDT PHNL/Orbx PHNL, all of FSDT Hawai’i as well.  

i7 10700K/2080S 8GB (P3D only shows 6.6 available while a friend with a 2070S card shows 7.1?) 

always happens either within minutes of loading into a gate at night or tonight after a driver update, I was able to program the flight and then got DXGI on the taxi out.  I can sometimes start a flight during the day and then have the error if the flight goes past sunset which also happened tonight.  Some events from tonight are below-this is driving me nutty.  

Attempts:

Flew flight KDCA-KRSW /crashed on descent in thunderstorms (it was just after dark)

Did driver after that-not in safe mode 

-installed same profile as Jeff has minus the frames-left those alone. 

-Ran P3D longer than have run in a long time at night, crashed on taxi (20-25 min of using P3D at night) crashed on a view pan to the overhead just before takeoff.  

-Turned some things down more similar to Jeff’s settings, tried again, got another crash but sooner this time 

Tried KFLL during the day-waiting for that. 

The FLL flight went well until a terrain.dll closest to ORF/DCA after ILM (closest addon I have is DD Washington X) 

-Dynamic texture streaming suggested to be a culprit in P3D V5 group-turned it off then back on 

-currently inflight JFK-BOS daytime-successful flight 

What's the current consensus on P3D v5? Is it a stable sim or are people still plagued with various errors and crashes?

I'm still on v4.5 since it runs smoothly and stable. At first I was determined to switch to v5 a few days after release but than all the negative comments poured in and all the issues people had so I decided to wait untill v5.1. Now, I'm getting a bit impatient and started to toy with the idea of switching to v5 but only if the reports of all the issues were in fact exaggerated... I'm a magnet for all the issues, I feel, and if there's a good chance of CTD, well, I'm a customer. The last thing I want to do is to fall back into twilight zone, when you never know if you'll be able to finish the flight and every time there's a slight pause you almost get a heart attack. I'd rather stay with v4.5 in that case. What are your thoughts?

47 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

What's the current consensus on P3D v5? Is it a stable sim or are people still plagued with various errors and crashes?

I'm still on v4.5 since it runs smoothly and stable. At first I was determined to switch to v5 a few days after release but than all the negative comments poured in and all the issues people had so I decided to wait untill v5.1. Now, I'm getting a bit impatient and started to toy with the idea of switching to v5 but only if the reports of all the issues were in fact exaggerated... I'm a magnet for all the issues, I feel, and if there's a good chance of CTD, well, I'm a customer. The last thing I want to do is to fall back into twilight zone, when you never know if you'll be able to finish the flight and every time there's a slight pause you almost get a heart attack. I'd rather stay with v4.5 in that case. What are your thoughts?

I have been on V5HF2 since it was released, not a single CTD...only those induced after exceeding my 10GB VRAM limit at certain identified airports (fixed by changing the textures from 4096 to 1028).

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

3 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

On the same boat but I also tend to wait for 5.1 for EA to be more complete

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

I have not fired up v4.5 in several weeks. I've completed at least 50 flights day & night in all sorts of weather on v5 without any driver hangs at all. The last time I did see a driver hang was right after I edited the Prepar3D.cfg file and changed some of the shadow texture sizes (increased them). After letting P3D generate a new config file, I have left it alone and have not seen a single driver hang since. I'm running an i5-8600K @ 4.8Ghz air cooled with 32Gb, and a RTX 2080Ti.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 8/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, MDFlier said:

I have not fired up v4.5 in several weeks. I've completed at least 50 flights day & night in all sorts of weather on v5 without any driver hangs at all. The last time I did see a driver hang was right after I edited the Prepar3D.cfg file and changed some of the shadow texture sizes (increased them). After letting P3D generate a new config file, I have left it alone and have not seen a single driver hang since. I'm running an i5-8600K @ 4.8Ghz air cooled with 32Gb, and a RTX 2080Ti.

Do you have Enhanced Atmospherics (beta) turned on?

On 8/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, MDFlier said:

Download msi afterburner, and when you starting the game at gate check the frequency of the gpu. Lower the frequency 100mhz or +
i had this problem with my 1080ti whose F max is 1700 MHz but could go during game to 1900+ mhz 

since I use -100mhz I don’t have this error but I can’t say this is the solution 

• Like 1

Frédéric Giraud

Well that not resolved my problem 

over the altantic ocean approaching canaries island got this error

next time I ll lower the frequency to stock boost 

Frédéric Giraud