Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Wing Wednesday

1 hour ago, pracines said:

The amount of fuel in the wings will play a factor. Also I should add if the aircraft is moving at t/o speed the wings will lift as well. We can't be sure at this point if wind is passing over the wings causing them to curve to the sky. 

Yes. But is strange that in all screenshots and videos, the aircraft wings look the same. We will have to wait I suppose. Or maybe today they can show us something. 

21 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

Yes but it’s a DEFAULT aircraft in an Alpha testing stage. We just need to be a LITTLE realistic here. 

But wingflex is something that should be added even before alpha? Or is an easy 3D thing? I don’t have any idea, but I would bet that is not that simple. 

13 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Are those two the same variant? They look different....  The RL photo wings seem to "droop" a little at the tips... The FS screenshot seems to have wings flexed up a little more..

Yep. Both are the same, not sure about the engines but both are Neo

Edited by aleex
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, aleex said:

Yes. But is strange that in all screenshots and videos, the aircraft wings look the same. We will have to wait I suppose. Or maybe today they can show us something. 

Perhaps there is an outstanding bug regarding fuel in the wing tanks not implemented yet, or maybe a bug having to do with the new aerodynamics features.

I sure am glad you emphasize this, incase it is a bug that MS/Asobo needs to be aware of...good job Aleex.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aleex said:

But wingflex is something that should be added even before alpha? Or is an easy 3D thing? I don’t have any idea, but I would bet that is not that simple. 

As far as I know, in the other sim, Wingflex is controlled by calling a specific Dataref(s) in the aircraft structure. So it's not a casual 3D animation. 

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Some people have - quite correctly - pointed out that it isn't really possible to compare a shot of the amount of wing flex on one aeroplane, with that of another shot, unless you happen to know for sure that they are undergoing the exact same loading at the moment both shots were taken. Having said that, the main picture of the aeroplane at the start of a runway at sunset, which is either just commencing a take-off roll or is possibly completely stationary, would tend to indicate that the wings are not under a particularly high aerodynamic load at that moment, yet despite this the aeroplane appears to have slightly flexed wings. Then again keep in mind that one of the best add-on aeroplanes you can get for FSX - the SimCheck A300-B4-200 - does not feature wing flex.

Worth noting too is that Airbus wings are not known for having a massive amount of flex when compared to some aircraft of a similar size, for example the Boeing 737, and there is a good reason for that. Theoretically, the 737 Classic (not the Original variant) has a supercritical wing, but since it was intended to maintain a type rating, the Classic and indeed subsequent variants of the 737 have got a bit of a sort of 'fudged' supercritical wing design because it inherited some of the proportions of the original 737 and subsequent 737 variants have also done this in order to maintain a common type rating (hmmm, Boeing following that ethos with the 737 eh? What could possibly go wrong?!). The A320 on the other hand has featured a supercritical wing profile as part of its design right from the outset, and so it is a bit more resistant to flexing owing to the typical cross section of a supercritical wing being a bit more resistant to flex, in combination with its length. Contrary to popular belief however, the wing on the NEO A320 has had a little bit of a redesign near the root.

And whilst we're on the subject of all this, it is true that wing flexing has its uses, most notably in it absorbing rather than transferring stress and turbulence movements to the cabin, but it's not all good news from a design standpoint, especially if you want to use carbon composites which don't flex as much as aluminium does. The biggest problem from an engineering standpoint is that when a wing flexes at the tips, it means you have to factor that into the design of the ailerons in order to not have their movement jam owing to distortion. So ironically enough, your approach to design has to be as flexible as your wing is.

• Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

16 hours ago, aleex said:

Maybe is just me, but from all screenshot we have seen, I'm starting to think that the A320 doesn't have any wingflex. Wings are always like curved to to sky

21.png

Aleex, I had to removed the photo with the copyright. You can link to photos that are copyrighted but not post those directly as they are a violation of the TOS.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

24 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Aleex, I had to removed the photo with the copyright. You can link to photos that are copyrighted but not post those directly as they are a violation of the TOS.

Okay 

I can’t wait for the NDA to be lifted. I’d like to see some video/full-flight type content. The photo stuff is getting a little stale. Although I’m very appreciative of their efforts to put out regular updates even during the pandemic. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Krakin said:

I'm just here to see Matthew rant

Do something constructive like find me a screenshot of a generic airport that has an undulating runway, I can't recall seeing a single one and I honestly don't think MSFS has any. I'm not talking about "iconic" airports.

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Matthew S

Someone in another thread mentioned that the central lights are always offset from the white stripes and in the direction of the tower. I was unaware of that, and indeed I watched a  YouTube video of a real world landing today and the lights were clearly offset. Is this standard, or just for some airports or countries? So far I think all MSFS screenshots of runways with lights have had them perfectly central with the white stripes, so this might be a minor cosmetic detail that needs fixing.

20 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

As much as I support this new sim and can’t wait for it, from what I’ve seen so far the wingflex hasn’t been done properly. 

Well it took PMDG a while to get it right after RR admitted he never liked it on the 747 and took a long time to be happy....

• Like 1

It's maybe an illusion, but I kind of saw wingflex effect in the screenshots of Apr 30 update featuring the A320?

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

On 4/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, MatthewS said:

Do something constructive like find me a screenshot of a generic airport that has an undulating runway, I can't recall seeing a single one and I honestly don't think MSFS has any. I'm not talking about "iconic" airports.

Dude i got 8 reactions out of that comment. very constructive if you ask me 🙂

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

5 hours ago, Krakin said:

Dude i got 8 reactions out of that comment. very constructive if you ask me

Yes, but just think how many you'll get when you post a screenshot of a generic (non-iconic) airport with undulating runways, and shut me up! 😁

Matthew S